Bosch motor help advice

DALERST

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2020
Just thought I'd update on the motor, finally got the bike back after 6 weeks waiting for the new motor, low and behold the new motor is now on its way back to Bosch as well. after 50 miles it started clicking/popping every half turn of the crank. not sure how much I trust the motors now.....

Reactions: Edward Elizabeth

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just thought I'd update on the motor, finally got the bike back after 6 weeks waiting for the new motor, low and behold the new motor is now on its way back to Bosch as well. after 50 miles it started clicking/popping every half turn of the crank. not sure how much I trust the motors now.....
There's nothing wrong with the motor and probably there was nothing wrong with it before, as there's nothing in the motor that could cause the problem you described. More likely, it was the chain slipping or something like that.

To solve your present problem, either tighten up the fixing bolts yourself or ask the dealer to do it - whichever is most convenient.

Reactions: Danidl

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
And to think, there are pundits on here telling folk to buy Bosch instead of Suntour as if it's some kind of mystical never-breakdown panacea!

I got a new bike. Mine went faulty within a couple of days, and the shop consulting with Bosch didn't fix it. In the end I told them to give me a new bike or I'd dump it on their doorstep and do a credit card chargeback. 20 minutes later I had a new bike.

DALERST

May 28, 2020
There's nothing wrong with the motor and probably there was nothing wrong with it before, as there's nothing in the motor that could cause the problem you described. More likely, it was the chain slipping or something like that.

To solve your present problem, either tighten up the fixing bolts yourself or ask the dealer to do it - whichever is most convenient.
Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure what's in the motors hence taking it back to the shop, they decided the original needed replacing under warranty due to them not being allowed to open them up.

As the new one is less that 2 weeks old with only 50 miles on, again I will let them make the call. Surely they will know if it's just a case of tightening the bolts or not. Having sent them the video of it their saying it need to go back!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thanks for the advice, I'm not sure what's in the motors hence taking it back to the shop, they decided the original needed replacing under warranty due to them not being allowed to open them up.

As the new one is less that 2 weeks old with only 50 miles on, again I will let them make the call. Surely they will know if it's just a case of tightening the bolts or not. Having sent them the video of it their saying it need to go back!
dealers are not allowed to open and fix motors even if it is a £5 bearing and has to be sent back to bosch for replacement as also not allowed to keep motors in stock bit like apple.

if you get a 3rd motor and that also goes tits up id ask for a different bike/motor or full refund to get something else.

tho i have never had a problem with my bosch motor just one of those things.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Just an update, after waiting 5 weeks to get it in the shop, they have decided its a warranty issue and noe i could be waiting up to another 5 weeks for bosch to check it and send a replacement.

As suspected the dealer cant open the motor and have said it could be something as simple as a clip come loose.
remember this is not your problem but the dealers.
They are in a sticky position as if you were to get obstinate then it’s their responsibility to reimburse you your money not the manufacturers.
If they're a good dealer go with the flow and it’ll be sorted.

DALERST

May 28, 2020
remember this is not your problem but the dealers.
They are in a sticky position as if you were to get obstinate then it’s their responsibility to reimburse you your money not the manufacturers.
If they're a good dealer go with the flow and it’ll be sorted.
I do trust the dealer, their quite a big Midlands outfit and upto now they have been good, providing you speak to the right person.

I just dont want to get to the stage where I'm finding problems that dont really exist because I no longer have faith in the motors.

Cant see the point in asking for my money back, if I did that and had a new bike it would probably still have a bosch motor albeit a gen 4

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I do trust the dealer, their quite a big Midlands outfit and upto now they have been good, providing you speak to the right person.

I just dont want to get to the stage where I'm finding problems that dont really exist because I no longer have faith in the motors.

Cant see the point in asking for my money back, if I did that and had a new bike it would probably still have a bosch motor albeit a gen 4
if this is the motor again then I’d take the route of getting my money back and buy something a little more robust.
It does seem odd that a new motor failed again though.

DALERST

May 28, 2020
if this is the motor again then I’d take the route of getting my money back and buy something a little more robust.
It does seem odd that a new motor failed again though.
I know, I've just ordered a crack tool and bosch spider tool, I'm going to take the chain off to make sure its definitely the motor clicking and not something else. I just going to put the video up, hopefully someone may have inspiration on what it is.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I know, I've just ordered a crack tool and bosch spider tool, I'm going to take the chain off to make sure its definitely the motor clicking and not something else. I just going to put the video up, hopefully someone may have inspiration on what it is.
My advice is Don't. The internals of a Bosch motor are the responsibility of Bosch..thats why we pay the big bucks. I suspect that Vfr is correct and the clunking is external to the motor .. misalignment of gears or maybe a loose pedal crank. 500 miles is about the distance that a chain might need adjusting. Bosch are reliable, but as with everything, nuts bolts can come adrift...so I would look at the outside of the bike first.

Reactions: Bobajob and Amoto65

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
And to think, there are pundits on here telling folk to buy Bosch instead of Suntour as if it's some kind of mystical never-breakdown panacea!

I got a new bike. Mine went faulty within a couple of days, and the shop consulting with Bosch didn't fix it. In the end I told them to give me a new bike or I'd dump it on their doorstep and do a credit card chargeback. 20 minutes later I had a new bike.
Good for you!
Sadly, I expect the new bike is also possibly Bosch.....hopefully not!
Andy