Bosch - New eMtb mode

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If you use sport mode regularly then losing it would be an issue. I've never found a use for sport as it is not much different from turbo. I'm either in eco or tour to get fit and conserve battery or turbo when battery isn't issue and need to haul arse.

Reactions: Japuserid

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've never found a use for sport as it is not much different from turbo.
How do you come to that conclusion? There is significant difference, and also major difference to battery consumption.

In respect of the CX motor, Sport offers 60Nm of torque and 210% assist, where as Turbo offers 75Nm of torque, and 300% assist.

You might just as well say the same of eco-tour and tour-sport.

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
My 2 pennyworth
Got the trek done last week popped into allterraincycles in saltaire and 10 mins later had the EMTB mode .
didn't get to ride it until today round Gisburn forest all offroad and some good uphill techy bits .
I really liked how it worked very progressive , I was riding with a guy 30 years younger so its a good leveler for his fitness .
The rocky rooty climbs were great fun and took me back to my motorbike trials days the mode has a great spread of power from easily riding uphill with my mate to powering away from him it just worked .

now not sure but it also was still pulling at 17.5 mph before it ran into treacle mode .
and before it was 16.5 mph but I will need to ride it on the road to verify this
I cant comment of fuel consumption as started with a partial charged battery but it got me round 15 miles and 1600 feet of uphill and used 2 bars on the readout I used the emtb mode for the whole ride .

I will still have range anxiety when I go the the Sud Tyrol in 5 sleeps so will be using mostly eco but will use the new mode when I am certain I have enough juice to finish the days riding

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i also cant see the point my self as it is just the mode i ride in all the time turbo and works the same way as if im with others on normal bikes the millage goes up even in turbo mode and as for range 25-30 miles is what i can get.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
How do you come to that conclusion? There is significant difference, and also major difference to battery consumption.

In respect of the CX motor, Sport offers 60Nm of torque and 210% assist, where as Turbo offers 75Nm of torque, and 300% assist.

You might just as well say the same of eco-tour and tour-sport.
I've never notice much difference between sport and turbo, especially nothing like jump from eco to tour and tour to turbo.
If I'm using turbo then battery life is not issue.

• Agree

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Also, I haven't tried so much yet, but I think the walk assist feature has been a little improved. Could be imagination though.
I tried a little more yesterday. It really feels like they have improved the walk assist. Before it was useless unless you had the right gear. Now it feels it works good even on the lowest gear. It kind of accelerates and when you're climbing a place where you can't ride (did that many times yesterday) the walk assist is great to have. It works good now, slow walking pace. Perfect for the situation I described. But I still wish the button was a little easier to hold pressed.

• Informative

Japuserid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2017
Cornwall
For those wishing to remove the update, bad news

"Update Not Revertible"

Please note that the update is not revertible. Sport Mode will permanently be replaced by eMTB Mode on all CX Drive bikes that are updated with new software and standard on all newly manufactured CX Drive bikes.

What it is:
As of July 10, 2017 Bosch is launching a new trail riding feature for Performance Line CX called eMTB mode. This new feature will automatically change between assistance modes depending on pedal pressure for optimal support on different types of terrain, allowing riders to concentrate their full attention on the trails.

The eMTB mode replaces the traditional Sport mode (210% boost) with a “Variable” mode which provides assistance between Tour (120%), Sport (210%) and Turbo (300%). This gives riders ideal power at all times, even at low pedaling frequencies, without them ever having to toggle between support levels. The amount of assistance is dependent on the rider’s pedal pressure (see above graphic), starting with light drive unit support at light pressure and increasing to maximum support as pedal pressure is increased. The system responds almost instantaneously and the rider continues to experience the “natural riding sensation,” whether starting off or accelerating. As soon as the pedal pressure decreases, the power assistance is smoothly regulated downwards. Thus the rider has much greater control when riding through narrow, winding sections of a trail.

How to Upgrade to eMTB Mode:
eMTB mode is compatible with all Performance Line CX Drive bikes. It requires a Bosch Software update, which is complementary for those who purchased their CX equipped bike through The New Wheel, or for a fee of $20 (subject to change). Please make an appointment here.

Update Not Revertible

Please note that the update is not revertible. Sport Mode will permanently be replaced by eMTB Mode on all CX Drive bikes that are updated with new software and standard on all newly manufactured CX Drive bikes.

Never mind :( I'm sure they will get used to it ;):D

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
I have just ordered a new bosch cx powered bike on Thursday will this update be on the bike already
Cheers

Chris

Japuserid

Jan 18, 2017
Cornwall
Yes Chris it certainly should come pre installed. Unless its an old model of course. All CX production from July this year onwards will leave the factory with this upgraded software. :)

Reactions: Chris.L

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
Thanks for answering my question,

It's a 2017 race 500 so posibly made before July

Cheers
Chris

Japuserid

Jan 18, 2017
Cornwall
You are most welcome, assuming you want the Emtb upgrade then your supplying dealer should be able to make sure it's installed before delivery. My mate has a Cube very nice bike.

Reactions: Chris.L

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
From people who really know what they are talking about :D
Kind of ironic given your incorrect information in respect of software removal.

I fail to see why you can't just accept that eMTB mode doesn't necessarily suit the needs or requirements of everyone, and to this end it fails miserably at meeting mine.

I have been riding eMTB's long enough to know what does and doesn't work for me, and owning two Bosch CX powered bikes with differing operating systems, I can state with 100% certainty that eMTB mode isn't for me.

There is a big difference in battery consumption, the mode is far from ideal when used in conjunction with the SRAM EX1 drivetrain, and in my case, it is anything but intuitive to power demand and usage.
The system has been directly responsible for three falls from the bike, when it has wrongly supplied too much power/torque for the conditions, has made pulling away on steep and wet grassy/muddy inclines absolutely impossible to do without switching manually back to either eco or tour. Again, it supplies too much power/torque for the given situation, and has in fact been a dangerous liability.
As said previously, had I been formally advised that the mode could not be removed, then my days of Bosch ownership would be in the past. I have nothing good to say about the mode, and I'm not going to pretend otherwise. Either my system is operating incorrectly and just supplies turbo, or people are just kidding themselves that it is of any use. Either way, Bosch owners should be given the choice, and the system should operate eco, tour, sport, turbo, then eMTB as a separate setting over and above the preceding four. It should not be a replacement for sport.

I really can't be bothered to expand upon this any further.

SteveA, you have a pm in respect of eMTB mode.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: chris_n and Steve A

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have to agree with eddiepj here, although I do like emtb mode as it suits me perfectly, it would be a shame if This was forced on those who do not want it.. those who enjoy using their own skills to determine the way to go...
The auto car anology was used earlier, but it's the same with everything now.. let's take away choice and automate everything.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Japuserid

Jan 18, 2017
Cornwall
Kind of ironic given your incorrect information in respect of software removal.

I fail to see why you can't just accept that eMTB mode doesn't necessarily suit the needs or requirements of everyone, and to this end it fails miserably at meeting mine.

I have been riding eMTB's long enough to know what does and doesn't work for me, and owning two Bosch CX powered bikes with differing operating systems, I can state with 100% certainty that eMTB mode isn't for me.

There is a big difference in battery consumption, the mode is far from ideal when used in conjunction with the SRAM EX1 drivetrain, and in my case, it is anything but intuitive to power demand and usage.
The system has been directly responsible for three falls from the bike, when it has wrongly supplied too much power/torque for the conditions, has made pulling away on steep and wet grassy/muddy inclines absolutely impossible to do without switching manually back to either eco or tour. Again, it supplies too much power/torque for the given situation, and has in fact been a dangerous liability.
As said previously, had I been formally advised that the mode could not be removed, then my days of Bosch ownership would be in the past. I have nothing good to say about the mode, and I'm not going to pretend otherwise. Either my system is operating incorrectly and just supplies turbo, or people are just kidding themselves that it is of any use. Either way, Bosch owners should be given the choice, and the system should operate eco, tour, sport, turbo, then eMTB as a separate setting over and above the preceding four. It should not be a replacement for sport.

I really can't be bothered to expand upon this any further.

SteveA, you have a pm in respect of eMTB mode.
Eddie,
Firstly glad you moderated your tone from your first draft.

Secondly "I fail" to see what my post had got to do with you personally! I really could not care less if you and whoever else wish to lock yourselves into the past and preclude yourselves from this and therefore all future updates, makes no sense, but that is entirely your business.

The update information was copied from an official Bosch dealer website, and I posted it here for the information of fellow users, who like you might not wish to have the upgrade, I didn't make it up, just copy and paste, This appears to be official Bosch policy, as was explained to me before I had the upgraded software installed by an official Bosch dealer. And judging from your text, you now accept that this is in fact correct and you cannot get it removed as said you could. Ironic?

As for the rest of your post.

How on earth you arrived at the conclusion it uses more power makes no sense whatsoever. Compared to what?

Staying in tour and not using E-mtb will obviously use less power, staying in the old sport mode would obviously consume more power than the new Emtb mode. Why? and it's not rocket science, Emtb defaults to the lower power (Tour) the millisecond that the higher power settings are no longer being demanded by the rider. I'm sure not even you could possibly hope to emulate this highly efficient use of power by manually switching between modes.

This software update is dangerous and made you fall off three times:eek:

Seriously are you going to stick with that, or edit it out tomorrow after you think about it a bit more. :rolleyes:

It is universally excepted that the E-mtb update makes restarting on hills, easier, it is specifically one of the main features of the update............

Given all your experience with "two" Bosch powered E-bikes, I am a little surprised, that you haven't considered getting better tires, but in any case, perhaps you really should consider riding lessons.

Related Articles

Advertisers