Bosch - New eMtb mode

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Much better for all, if we keep this forum friendly. We all have different preferences to different things. I'm not agreeing with one above the other. Some will like the emtb mode and some won't. I fall into the later, but lets be clear here this is an upgrade, but an update and these can usually be reverse with an software / firmware install.

I own a DJI magic drone and have updated this (not upgraded), some people are still on the first software release as prefer the stability over additional features, and i get it no problem for me.

Last edited:

Japuserid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2017
Cornwall
Much better for all, if we keep this forum friendly. We all have different preferences to different things. I'm not agreeing with one above the other. Some will like the emtb mode and some won't. I fall into the later, but lets be clear here this is an upgrade, but an update and these can usually be reverse with an software / firmware install.

I own a DJI magic drone and have updated this (not upgraded), some people are still on the first software release as prefer the stability over additional features, and i get it no problem for me.
Hey Steve a voice of reason should always be listened too :D

And I couldn't agree more, polite and friendly debate would be my first choice every time.

Your being clear, did not come out too well there but I think I get the jist...... not an upgrade just an update, is what you were eluding too.

Well technically the software update is upgrading the system to include the new E-mtb mode, but whatever you prefer, the reality is "it is what it is" and I believe it is important that it is accurately portrayed.

Plain and simple. No scare mongering, no imaginary bugs, no prejudice.

I would hate to think someone missed out on what really is a seriously good "update" because of some misinformation they received from here.

I'm sure Eddie is a really nice guy and if he would just refrain from portraying his opinions as actual facts we could probably get on well. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hello,
Have a new KTM kapoho with CX engine and have me immediately after the test drive the e-mtb update to play. Now I regret that very much, since I simply have to stepping strong to the pedals, which makes me with a meniscus crack very difficult. And the tour mode is too limp. Therefore, I crawl with the tour modus rum or must exessiv pedal into the pedal which goes on the knee or in Turbomodus drive the battery leersaugen. I definitely miss the sports mode. When I read it read it was from the seller it was not reversible, but here read but luckily it could be removed again. Can anyone confirm this? Then I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and leave it.

It is reversible (personal statement from Bosch on facebook!) Against Lt. Statement at Bergamont on the Eurobike not with all engines. There are apparently problems with the 2016 engines. Warranty-would really threaten with lawyer! Whoever does not resist, lives upside down! Then they should change the bike. We are not here at VW / Audi / Porsche / Daimler / Opel / Ford (LOL)
Hello Walter16,

A reversal is possible, you only need to perform an earlier download from the container !!! (no download on the Internet!)
Thus would work if the dealer was so clever and a container on the laptop has created.

you can remove it tho whether the dealer knows how to do it is a other matter but it can be removed.

but from what i can see every update from bosch will have the emtb mode so you will get stuck with what you have firmware wise.

my bike has never been back to a dealers and if i did ill plug it in and do it ;)

Japuserid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2017
Cornwall
Hello,
Have a new KTM kapoho with CX engine and have me immediately after the test drive the e-mtb update to play. Now I regret that very much, since I simply have to stepping strong to the pedals, which makes me with a meniscus crack very difficult. And the tour mode is too limp. Therefore, I crawl with the tour modus rum or must exessiv pedal into the pedal which goes on the knee or in Turbomodus drive the battery leersaugen. I definitely miss the sports mode. When I read it read it was from the seller it was not reversible, but here read but luckily it could be removed again. Can anyone confirm this? Then I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and leave it.

It is reversible (personal statement from Bosch on facebook!) Against Lt. Statement at Bergamont on the Eurobike not with all engines. There are apparently problems with the 2016 engines. Warranty-would really threaten with lawyer! Whoever does not resist, lives upside down! Then they should change the bike. We are not here at VW / Audi / Porsche / Daimler / Opel / Ford (LOL)
Hello Walter16,

A reversal is possible, you only need to perform an earlier download from the container !!! (no download on the Internet!)
Thus would work if the dealer was so clever and a container on the laptop has created.

you can remove it tho whether the dealer knows how to do it is a other matter but it can be removed.

but from what i can see every update from bosch will have the emtb mode so you will get stuck with what you have firmware wise.

my bike has never been back to a dealers and if i did ill plug it in and do it ;)
So, please forgive me, but that was not easy to follow, but if I've understood you properly.

It should be possible to install previous software versions if:

You can find a Bosch dealer, who has saved a copy of the update, preceding the E-mtb update, direct to a folder on his drive. Sounds perfectly logical.

I am pretty sure the Bosch dealer update site only offers the most current version of their firmware and no previous options are select-able or offered.

Also I am led to understand, by my LBS that most dealers stream the update during the update process and don't actually keep file copies.

But you only need one dealer who has a copy any you should be in business.

Good luck with that, I sincerely hope you are successful in finding this piece of software, perhaps you should talk to Bosch direct, given your medical situation I would be very surprised if they did not offer to help, they definitely would have a copy on file.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes if they have a old copy of the firmware b4 the emtb mode was brought in it can be set back to the old firmware.

but as the dealers have to download all the firmware when it is released then they should have to older copy's on file.

why on earth would you delete them all if you know how bosch work thus do the dealers even know what there doing as 9 times out of 10 there next to useless.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Plain and simple. No scare mongering, no imaginary bugs, no prejudice.

I would hate to think someone missed out on what really is a seriously good "update" because of some misinformation they received from here.

I'm sure Eddie is a really nice guy and if he would just refrain from portraying his opinions as actual facts we could probably get on well. :)
Your experience of the system is clearly different from mine, and I see no reason that you should be so dismissive or inflammatory, just because my experience does not match that of your own.

I really can't be bothered to waste any more of my time on this matter, and subject to finding time to get the bike booked in, look forward to eMTB mode being removed.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Well... I have tried the eMTB mode a while now and it is both good and bad. First you need to have the right approach, before I wrote something like it is like tour mode but with the power of turbo mode. I think you need to see it reversed. It is like sport mode, but more sensitive like the tour mode and if you pedal hard, the full power of turbo mode.

The key thing is traction, when you have good traction it works very well. As do the old sport mode. But when the traction is bad you can't use sport mode very well. And has to go down on tour or even eco mode.

That is a fact I think, with or without this update.

So if you don't have the update. The sport mode always reacts fast, so you are used to that, the bike can really slip or something if you are not careful.

But, when you have eMTB-mode, this new sport mode reacts different depending on the situation. It often reacts calm and nice like tour mode. But if you have bad traction, low gear you might end up in a situation where it slips and you loose control just because you are not used to the behaviour since it appears occasionaly.

Bottom line is, don't use eMTB mode when there is bad traction! But if you think of it like this: would you use sport/turbo if you have bad traction also? No, didn't think so.

And the battery consumption. I don't think it pulls more current than regular sport mode. Consider it equal, then you are not surprised. Ride on tour or eco if you want to be certain of long battery time.

And, I have to say, the walk assist works much better now. I love that. Only that is worth much for me, as I often comes to places where I can't ride at all :)

---------

So, I have to step down my previous judgement a little, before I thought it was just all good, but this above thing makes it a little unpredictable sometimes. Still I think that, for me, it is a good thing because I like to ride easy and sometimes want to have more assist without changing the assist mode every time. This mode is just for that.

But when there is bad traction I rather use tour or even eco. And, I might add that I also use 4" tires so it is almost as good as it can be anyway. But these last days have been awfully wet so it has been very difficult riding many places that usually is really easy. Last ride I used eco mode all the time. Actually I thought it was really great, you get more exercise but cuts out the most demanding parts.

I feel that the four remaining modes now are a great mix:
Eco, Tour, Turbo for preset power levels and eMTB when the circumstances allow for dynamic riding.

Chrisp8244

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2017
Hull
Having read all the comments above, I feel I should add my two-penneth worth as well.
From the outset - if all you ride is fairly level trails/road work, then I could see no reason for you to have the emtb mode update. Especially if you were having to pay for it!
However, my usual riding is predominately off-road, technical and hilly, and I like to keep the flow going, with a good turn of speed. For me, the emtb mode is a distinct benefit. The fact is that the software changes the power delivery for you, when it detects that you need it, and can do it 1000's of times faster (in fractions of a second) than your brain can process the information in front of you and your thumb can move to physically change the mode yourself. (Obviously, whilst scrabbling with your other thumb to change gear at the same time!) This aspect alone can mean the difference between making it up that unexpected technical section or having to stop and make use the new walk assist mode! :)
Comments above have stated that some find difficulty re-starting on a hill, when the traction is poor as the power delivery can be too harsh. If you are in an inappropriate gear at the time and you are having to exert a large amount of torque through the cranks to get moving, then the system will respond with a higher input, therefore traction could potentially be lost. I personally have not experienced this but I can see how it could come about. If you found yourself in that situation then you could simply change down into tour to set off! The fact that you would be stationary at the time means that there is nothing lost here other than one click of the controller! (then one further click back into emtb once you are moving again) As this sort of situation happens (I would imagine) very infrequently on an e-bike ride then it is only the very smallest of disadvantages in my mind.
Battery life. Better! Definitely better. Before the update, for example, I would find myself in sport mode (using sport amount of torque assistance) when I would find myself on a section (say 50 metres long) when tour or eco would have been fine, but you don't think to (or cant be bothered to!) change down the modes for that bit. Emtb does that for you and obviously will save you that, admittedly very small, amount of power. All the times that happens during a 20 mile ride can add up to a fair amount of power overall.
Personally, I'm not concerned over whether the update can me removed or not. For me, it is staying!

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
If I hadn't read about it ,I would not know about it ,so I don't think I will miss it ,

Cheers

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Had first ride where I put new eMTB mode to test. Not much of benefit on tight technical tracks but on flowing climbs with tight hairpins its assume. Power delivery is perfect, especially on tight hairpin corners.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
When pedalling hard uphill in eMTB mode I always get a boost by changing to Turbo, therefor I don't think that eMTB gives full turbo when needed.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I'm now riding a Riese & Muller Supercharger Rohloff and I have found that in Turbo you have to drop several gears to get the full assist. Once you do it's great.

Jim

Related Articles

Advertisers