Bosch Nyon '21 Q/A & Top Tips

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Thanks for that, Vim. Next stop a look on EBAY.
These have a couple of in stock at the moment:

DivineUK

Just Joined
Dec 19, 2020
I’m currently waiting for a new Bosch bike to be delivered, my first after owning Suntour systems previously.

I’ve purchased a Nyon MY21 to fit as soon as the bike arrives. I’ve installed the new 3.0.0.0 software, but I’m experiencing an issue with the maps.

I’ve downloaded the UK, England & Yorkshire maps (I’m in Sth Yorks), but the map function doesn’t recognise them. I’m constantly receiving a pop-up urging me to open Wi-Fi settings and download maps.

Is this expected behaviour, does the unit/GPS not work independently when unattached to the bike?

If there’s an hardware issue I’d rather send the unit back for a replacement before installation.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
these smart displays use canbus and log sn of every part connected to the system so you will need to take it to a bosch dealer or it will say dealer update needed every time you turn it on.

i put a kiok display on my bike with the latest software on the motor and as soon as i powerd up the kiox emtb mode was back and dealer update required as now the brain of the system.

i took it to a bosch dealer for the sn can shake only to find a week later when i tried to use my 2nd batt dealer update required :rolleyes:

DSC_0177_03.JPG

DivineUK

Just Joined
Dec 19, 2020
these smart displays use canbus and log sn of every part connected to the system so you will need to take it to a bosch dealer or it will say dealer update needed every time you turn it on.

i put a kiok display on my bike with the latest software on the motor and as soon as i powerd up the kiox emtb mode was back and dealer update required as now the brain of the system.

i took it to a bosch dealer for the sn can shake only to find a week later when i tried to use my 2nd batt dealer update required :rolleyes:
Ugh, I was hoping to avoid updating the firmware of the other components.

At least it’s not a hardware issue.

Thanks for the response.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike was not updated firmware wise just the kiox display took over control and any new part fitted like a different batt means back to dealers tho bike still worked but fkn annoying as can do software updates but naff all else.

so if i fitted my old motor with the kiox it will be back to the dealers with both batts as the sn will change and another 30 quid to push a fkn button :mad:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bosch and most of the CANbus type bikes has the buyer by the balls each time, one reason I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole (figuratively speaking).

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Some are cheap and unreliable. Some are relatively cheap and just as reliable as the (mostly Chinese made) Bosch stuff.

Touch wood we've had no issues with our Woosh XF07 conversion kit.

We have had several outages on our Bosch/Motus, very minor but irritating. Due to the badly designed connection between the Intuvia and its holder, and the badly designed rear rack battery rails that make it easy to get the battery misaligned, but lock engaged and (poor) connection made.

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Some are cheap and unreliable. Some are relatively cheap and just as reliable as the (mostly Chinese made) Bosch stuff.
All my Bosch kit shows country of manufacture as Germany or Romania. It's also mostly about design, which the Chinese aren't exactly great at (unless it's copying a successful European design)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They can show country of manufacturer as that is where the company put the bikes together but ultimately the parts are made and sourced in the main in the far east.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
All my Bosch kit shows country of manufacture as Germany or Romania. It's also mostly about design, which the Chinese aren't exactly great at (unless it's copying a successful European design)
As mentioned, there are at least two design faults that have led to unreliability on the Bosch setup on our Motus. (Despite the issues we are still very satisfied with the Motus.)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I prefer a bike should it go wrong after two years it will be inexpensive to repair.
With theses locked in system bikes unless the repair is simple or diyable one is at the mercy of the brand to pay the full replacement price unless a third party like the one SW uses can enable a mechanical solution.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
However most other bikes are cheap and unreliable Chinese crap, so you either put up with crap, or put up with paying £15 to get your bike updated periodically..
Didn't you have all that trouble with your Haibike derailleur? That's an example of expensive crap. I bet your time costs more than £15 a time, while updates are possible.

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Didn't you have all that trouble with your Haibike derailleur? That's an example of expensive crap. I bet your time costs more than £15 a time, while updates are possible.
That's nothing to do with Bosch, it's Haibike (Raleigh) cost cutting, and if you had stalked my previous posts better, you would know it was my wife's bike, and my midrange Haibike has been perfect.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's nothing to do with Bosch, it's Haibike (Raleigh) cost cutting, and if you had stalked my previous posts better, you would know it was my wife's bike, and my midrange has been perfect.
I'll still have an easily repairable motor in 10 years, will you? Bosch's practices are making repairs less and less feasible long term. Sure it's great engineering, but any bike motor manufacturer which actively sabotages repairs of batteries and motors etc. as Bosch do, will never get my money. Bosch is a rabid money-sucking ewaste producing concern.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They can show country of manufacturer as that is where the company put the bikes together but ultimately the parts are made and sourced in the main in the far east.
Sad story from near the end of IBM manufacture in Greenock. Laptop came with a little plastic bag with one small screw in it (I never did discover what the screw was for). Label on the bag:
Manufactured in China, assembled in Scotland.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's nothing to do with Bosch, it's Haibike (Raleigh) cost cutting, and if you had stalked my previous posts better, you would know it was my wife's bike, and my midrange Haibike has been perfect.
Stalked? I tried to help... Unfortunately, I have a good memory.

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Where are the 39 steps :D;).

• :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Georgehenry was fortunate as we often point out as does he, he was able to carry out a £10 repair to his battery once Yamaha washed their hands of him and the dealer told him a new battery was £800. Makes you wonder how many others have been fleeced in this way.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Where are the 39 steps :D;).
I'll know my memory is really good, when I start recalling other people's memories. Must...brain...train... o_O