Bosch Nyon Issues?. New substantial update: Jan 2015

Albin

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2015
As a late response to myself and for others with problems connecting to wifi, I just found out that the computer is supposed to be connected to the bike. I haven't been able to try it as I just turned my bike in to a repair shop for this specific issue. Now they will charge me for doing this simple software update. Don't know how I missed that.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Boy, am I glad that both my Woosh and the Tonaro are fitted with simple magnet ring, throttle, bog standard controllers etc.
It is almost as though the Bosh has been deliberately designed to keep LBS's in a steady supply of work.

Reactions: danielrlee

DannyZ

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2015
Hi Albin. Did you get the Nyon controller problem resolved. I too have a cube reaction nyon and have the exact same problems - they still occur whether the controller is mounted on or off the bike. No WiFi or Blue Tooth and continually re-booting. The software in the thing is at 1.1.3.0 but should be 1.1.5.0 but there is no way to connect and get it updated - AAArg !

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id not put that on my bike even if it was free and you paid me on top.

Reactions: mike killay

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I've had the Nyon for nearly a year now.

After being patient and keen to get the best out of it I have come to the conclusion that it is a peice of ill judged frippery without any genuine thought process to how it could have added value to the rider.

I think it is just a marketing tool to sell the Bosch system

It's rubbish in every aspect but mainly in these areas; Connectivity, features and user interface.

The navigation application is spectacular in its rubbishness. I purchased the UK map but it's not clear that you need to download counties individually and to do that you need USB power to the head unit. Not easily available on a secluded tow path. And in any case the chances of doing a successful download in the first ten attempts is pretty slim. Further if you do manage to download the correct map it's still a gamble if you arrive where you expect to.

Its going to cost me £100 to replace it with the smaller head unit to make room on the handle bar for my iPhone, and it's many excellent cycle related apps, without it looking like an overgrown hi-tech console.

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
Has anyone managed to update their Nyon with the new update that has just been released. I tried a couple of times this evening but failed on each occasion. The Online Portal seems to be down as well so that may have something to do with it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id get rid of it to many problems to big and rubbish to boot lol

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I will try and do it in the morning. According to the Bosch 2016 site there is a big software update coming soon so I wonder if this is the one.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id not hold ur breath that it will work tbh.

u cant polish a turd ;) tho they will try.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
I really like my Nyon, although the online portal is terrible.

Very keen for gpx capability to be released at which point the Nyon will be an excellent tool IMO.

Reactions: Richard T. Jensen
I`m happy about mine. No troubles during/after the update two days ago....

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I have just done the update without issues, but looking at it, I am convinced it is not the large update that is mentioned on the Bosch 2016 website.

In model year 2016, with Nyon you can set up toten stopovers, in addition to the start and end point, and place and move them directly on the Map View. For more riding enjoyment, arouting functionwhich selects particularly suitable eMTB trails was specially designed fore-mountain bikes. In addition,GPX trackscan now also be imported into the eBike-Connect portal. All the features of the portal and importing to your Nyon are available for these tracks.

Save your routes optimally by determining yourself whether a new track is to be started or the recording of the existing route is to be continued after interruption of your tour. There is now a three- stage model of “Rights,” “Days,” and “Trips.” By calibrating the altimeter manually at the beginning of or during your activity, you can use the altitude reading with significantly more accuracy.

Safety...

In the upcoming season, your Nyon can also display aservice interval (optional). In this case, you will receive a notification to bring your eBike for service after the specified time or the specified kilometers.

As an additional feature, on the portal Nyon provides the addresses of allBosch eBike Experts, that is, particularly competent eBike dealers, so that you can navigate directly to them. These are displayed as“places of interest”(POIs). The on-board computer can also be set in the languages of Portuguese and Swedish.

...and many other extras
Nyon providesfreeworldwideroutingfor all ebikers: The navigation license is now free of charge; the restriction to navigation within 20 kilometers of your place of residence has been eliminated.

After the update, the handling of custom screens, that is, your custom setting of the screens “Ride” and “Fitness,” is substantially improved.

Another update allowscadence and speedto be displayed (0 km/h and 0 RPM) even if you are not in motion with your ebike. ThePoweralertprovides information about the charge status of the PowerPack or the Nyon battery.

All Nyon updates at a glance
  • Multipoint navigation:Specification of up to eight stopovers that can be placed directly on the Map View or selected by specifying the address or coordinates.
  • Mountain bike routing function:New routing profile optimized for eMTB tours. Please note: Cannot be combined with Speed pedelecs!
  • GPX import:Imports GPX tracks into the eBike-Connect Portal. All features of the portal and importing to your Nyon are available for the tracks.
  • Save routes optimally:After each interruption a new track can be started or the recording can be continued.
  • Service interval:Setting of a service interval on an ebike equipped with Nyon (optional).
  • “Places of interest” (POIs):Contact information stored on the portal for all Bosch eBike Experts (particularly competent eBike dealers), to which one can navigate with Nyon.
  • Languages:Nyon is now also available in the languages Portuguese and Swedish.
  • Free routing:Navigation license at no charge
  • Custom screens:Can always be displayed, even when the custom screen currently used is changed.
  • Cadence and speed:Are now shown as 0 km/h and 0 RPM when the eBike is at standstill.
  • Poweralerts:Information about the Nyon battery, PowerPack, and charge level.

• Other adaptations:

- General stability improvements in connectivity (WiFi, Bluetooth)

- Modified routing for Speed pedelecs

- Improved compatibility for heart rate monitors

- Bug fix for the time calculation for routes and with Map Manager

- Improved management of “Saved Routes” and “Last Destinations”

- Bug fix for the time and charge level display

- General adjustments to the language and text.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Yes this is what I have seen, so I don't think any of that has been delivered in the latest update, so perhaps this update was an interim bug fix or something?

Helean

Just Joined
Aug 9, 2015
Hi there ,

I hope someone here can help me , I'm trying to do software update on my nyon display and update to the Australian map but the display keep saying
" insufficient power " and won't let me to do it , I tried to plug a micro USB cable to my computer and it doesn't seems to work !

Can anyone help me please ??
I have the same problem when I try to update the NYON firmware. Map update works OK though. I 've tried different cables, and conntected both to my PC and to a USB-charger, but I still get the same message. It's a bit of a catch22, since I cannot update even if they fix this in a new version :(
[

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
I have the same problem when I try to update the NYON firmware. Map update works OK though. I 've tried different cables, and conntected both to my PC and to a USB-charger, but I still get the same message. It's a bit of a catch22, since I cannot update even if they fix this in a new version :(
[
Do you see the charge signal when you have the Nyon USB cable connected ? If not the USB connection point may be damaged - there a few reports of this being damaged by people trying to force the connector in the wrong way round.

I wonder if the update would be possible with the Nyon fitted on the bike, assuming you can get it in range of your WiFi signal.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Yes like said above, there was somebody on this forum with the same issue and it turned out to be an internal issue with the usb socket I seem to recall.

Helean

Just Joined
Aug 9, 2015
Do you see the charge signal when you have the Nyon USB cable connected ? If not the USB connection point may be damaged - there a few reports of this being damaged by people trying to force the connector in the wrong way round.

I wonder if the update would be possible with the Nyon fitted on the bike, assuming you can get it in range of your WiFi signal.
Yes I can see the small white charge signal. I get the message that it's connected to USB, but when I try to update I get the error message. It's strange that I managed to download updates to my maps but not the firmware. My Nyon is fitted to my bike, and I'm connected to wifi.

Or at least I thought it was the charge signal I can see. There are different symbols for battery in the different views. On "ride" I get the large blue battery on the right side, on "map" I get a small white battery on the left side, but there is no "flash" indicating that it is loading, so maybe this is the problem, as you and other people have suggested. I also tried to move the connectors, but that doesn't seem to help.

Last edited: