Bosch or Bafang?

ppochez

Just Joined
Oct 23, 2020
Hi All,
In everyone's opinion, what is the obvious choice between a Bosch Active Line motor and a Bafang 250w 36v Rear Hub motor? Is getting a Bosch definitely worth the price difference?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi All,
In everyone's opinion, what is the obvious choice between a Bosch Active Line motor and a Bafang 250w 36v Rear Hub motor? Is getting a Bosch definitely worth the price difference?
It depends on what characteristics you want from your bike, like I said in your other thread. The Bosch system will have much higher running costs and will require more maintenance. It can't be fixed yourself if anything goes wrong, though you can do the maintenance yourself that doesn't include the electrical system. The ride is not at relaxed as with a typical hub-motor system because you have to be in the right gear all the time.

Crank motors are very good for getting you up exceptionally steep hills and are better for serious off road use because they leave the wheels free of aditional mass that would upset the uspension.

Now that 48v systems with hub-motors are becoming more prevalent, the hill-climbing advantage of crank-drives on the road has evaporated.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I don't want to turn this into a political thread, but think about the future and the likelihood of the bike being off the road whilst repair work is being done. Whilst we all like to think that our bikes will go on and on without fault, it's a sad fact that they are not always that reliable. You just have to search the threads on this forum to discover that.

Most Bafangs are easy to fix, with parts being fairly cheap from China and expedited delivery available. Parts are always in abundance and you should have no problem sourcing them.

Onto the Bosch, now that might be a different situation. As vfr400 states, they usually aren't fixable by the owner, requiring you to go through the Bosch system for repairs. What with the potential for a no deal brexit coming up, this might exacerbate the repair system, with parts being in short supply and long waiting times.

I might be wrong though, and this is only my personal opinion. Just to put this in context, my Bafang mid drive has had a few issues here and there, but have always been repaired by myself fairly quickly. I've managed to source parts from both the UK and China pretty quickly. Knowledge on Bafang systems is more abundant than the Bosch, but yet again, this is only my own opinion.

I'm getting the vibes that you are after a ready built bike, but if you are handy with a basic toolkit, then a Bafang BBS01 would be the way to go.

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Its maybe a bit more important to tell us what you want the bike for,If you are a long time cyclist with a good cadence but are finding hills harder and harder then the ALP motor will replicate the cycling experience from years ago and give you good range if you want to go for long day rides.
As vfr400 says 48v hub motors have leveled the playing field on the hills, something like a Moscow plus or a 36v Big Bear, both would give you range and hill climbing ability for considerably less cash.
I'm in my 70s and have had both but now prefer the Bosch experience more and I can afford it and I am willing to take the risk of mech failure after the 2 year guarantee period.
Try both and see which you prefer cycling and cost wise

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
if you like the idea of a mid drive but want to be able to fix cheaply if issues convert an existing bike with a bafang bbs01, they offer more grunt than the alp motor too

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Be it mid drive motor or the overly favoured hub motor, you'll not be doing either servicing by yourself. Go for Bosch. They know all about electric motors, its been their lifeblood for a very long time.

Reactions: Amoto65

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I don't know how hard it is to do in a Covid world but I found test riding different bikes significantly changed my pre conceived opinions when I bought my first ebike in 2011 and I ended buying a completely different bike to the one I thought I was going to. I still have it and enjoy riding it every time I do, so getting it right is very worthwhile.

I did the same when I later fancied a crank drive mountain bike in 2015 and still love that bike now with 12,746 miles under its wheels.

Almost irrespective of what drive system it has, which bike do you like riding the most from a good test ride, is a good place to make a decision from.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I came to this from decades of conventional road cycling.
I tried both rear hubs and crank motor drives, the latter with several brands.
Now my experience is about 10 miles of hub drive and several thousand on our crank drive, the imbalance being down to much preferring the experience and purchasing a crankdrive.

I have no issue with accepting others find differently.
Therefore, if it is the "ride" as opposed to cost etc that's the motivation, I suggest you try both, ideally replicating a ride you want the ebike for, before deciding.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu and Danidl

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Ignore manufacturers for a minute and concentrate on the riding experience. A hub motor is like having a tail wind. A crank motor is like have bionic legs. A much more natural biking experience
Now include manufacturers. Bosch is like Apple computers or Bose and B&O Audio ... A walled garden, with all the decisions removed . You use the appliance, it works ,it fails, you get it repaired at the authorised dealer. Tinkering is strongly discouraged. Reliability is high. Not for the enthusiastic DIYer who prefers things to fail . Ideal for people with busy lives. In this context think City folk commuting to their Dentist surgeries,and leaving the bikes at suburban train stations

All the Chinese manufacturers are like PC Clones or the guys who built their Hi Fis from mix and match,either because they had not the money to buy premium kit, or wanted to tinker . Some like Bafang are like a Lenovo ..making kit as good as the prestige names ,and finally getting name recognition. Or Huwai.. which does not have the prestige.but has the volume

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Love my Bafang BBS01 mid drive conversion. Love too the fact I can buy a Samsung celled 17.5ah (630wh) battery for under £200. The equivalent battery from Bosch is over £700.

So for £700 for the Bafang and 2 x 17.5ah batteries plus donor bike, the DIY route is about a third of the equivalent pre built Bosch drive bike... that adds even more smiles per miles

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I have a Bbs01, very happy with it. Can service, fix and tweak myself. My brother bought a Bosch motor bike, has to take it to an authorised dealer just to get the firmware upgrade. Plus, a kit bike has a throttle.