Bosch Power Tube Battery latch frustration

Omegayo

Just Joined
Apr 17, 2019
I recently purchased a Cube Reaction SL e-bike (my first e-bike after many years of pedal bikes), and I have been frustrated with the latch/lock that holds the Bosch Power Tube 500 battery in place. The latch position can be adjusted slightly by loosening two bolts under the frame. My frustration is that after many attempts to adjust this latch, I can't get it right. In a position to hold the battery securely, means the the key release lock will not release the battery, by adjusting the latch a fraction of a millimetre , the key will turn and work, but the battery is not secure enough. At the moment, I have to release the battery by loosening the holding bolts, the key is now redundant. On removal of the battery and on closer inspection of the latch, I have also notice that the key cam will also jam in certain positions. Any help on this issue would be most appreciated. John

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Hi John, welcome to the forum! Sorry to sound painfully thick (it's quite easy for me to do this), why don't you take the bike to the shop where you purchased it, for them to sort under warranty? I can see no reason why you need to live with the frustration...

Omegayo

Just Joined
Apr 17, 2019
Hi John, welcome to the forum! Sorry to sound painfully thick (it's quite easy for me to do this), why don't you take the bike to the shop where you purchased it, for them to sort under warranty? I can see no reason why you need to live with the frustration...
Thanks for your response, I purchased this bike by mail order, and the store is miles away, and Have contacted them but still awaiting a reply. My local Cube dealer said they would need to charge me for any work, so I have tried to sort this out myself. John

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Hi John, one would like to think that your supplying dealer would come to some agreement for your local dealer to sort you out. I have to admit that I bought my bike from a local bike shop precisely so I would not run into this kind of problem. My previous bike was supplied through my insurance company, but the local dealer was unwilling to support me (though I did buy the bike that was stolen, from them in the first place). However, the insurance company's dealer did reimburse my costs for repair.

I am sure there are others on this forum who have the knowledge to suggest how you fix this issue (my bike has the standard Bosch frame battery), if not, then you will need to apply pressure on your dealer and get ready to implement the statutory fixes available to you if they are unwilling to assist.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Hi Omegayo, I don't really have an answer to your problem but I am not a fan of the latch system that Bosch use for their power tube batteries. I have two e-bikes both using the power tube and they are both fairly awkward to remove from the bikes. So much so that I hardly ever take the batteries out I usually change them in place on the bikes.

I thought it might have been just me but I have watched shop staff trying to remove the batteries on my bikes and they have found it difficult too, it can be done but its much more difficult that it needs to be.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
I can't say personally that I have had any trouble with the power tube battery
Hope you get your issue sorted soon

Reactions: Omegayo
D

Deleted member 25121

The latch is fiddly to open until you get the hang of it then it works fine. It looks as though yours is faulty.

Reactions: Omegayo

Omegayo

Just Joined
Apr 17, 2019
Hi Omegayo, I don't really have an answer to your problem but I am not a fan of the latch system that Bosch use for their power tube batteries. I have two e-bikes both using the power tube and they are both fairly awkward to remove from the bikes. So much so that I hardly ever take the batteries out I usually change them in place on the bikes.

I thought it might have been just me but I have watched shop staff trying to remove the batteries on my bikes and they have found it difficult too, it can be done but its much more difficult that it needs to be.
Thanks for your comments.