Bosch range indication

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think that might be what they call 'voltage sag', where during of heavier use the battery voltage drops, losing you a bar on the gauge (or in my case an LED light), but which recovers as soon as you reduce the demand.
Instantly when you change from one assistance level to another? I thought sag was when you are in the same level, crest a hill and get bar back on the way down.

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Instantly when you change from one assistance level to another? I thought sag was when you are in the same level, crest a hill and get bar back on the way down.
I thought that was what you meant:

My LCD battery gauge works kind of the same way. I have a long 4% hill climb and at the top I lose a bar which I get back after free wheeling down the other side.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No the bars change when I change assistance level after about 20 km.

D

Deleted member 4366

The amount of sag you see is dependent on the amount of current coming out of the battery. The current limit is different on each level, so you can get an instnt sag when you increase the level, but the actual current depends on the motor speed. As the motor slows down, the current increases up to the limit set by the level. With a crank-drive, that means that you use less current and get less sag when you spin the pedals faster, but you also get less torque, since torque is proportional to current.

Reactions: EddiePJ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
OK I understand better now, thanks once again for your science!