Both my e-bikes stolen

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Went into the garage of the place I'm staying at the moment and to my horror - both bikes gone, stolen sometime between Wednesday evening (26th) and this afternoon.

1. Brompton M6R with Nano conversion. 2010 model. Black with red forks and rear triangle. Cateye Velo computer. Integrated lights. Distinguishing marks - magnetic brake sensor held in place by Gorilla tape, left hand front mudguard stay fractured, front mudflap bolstered with Gorilla tape, front tyre (Schwable Marathon) due for replacement - coming off rim, rear luggage straps well stretched.

2. Woosh Big Bear. 2015 model I think. Suntour suspension seat post. Schwable Marathon tyres. Non-standard features: Luggage rack attached to seat bolt rather than frame bosses. Right hand rear rack attachment by allen bolt and nut, padded out with washers, rather than allen bolt into frame. Left hand standard. Integrated lights run straight off main battery. AXA ring lock (sadly with keys left in). Battery attachment broken, held in place by bungee strap. Large, rather tatty throw over panniers. North Road style handlebars.

• Disagree
Reactions: Iike'n'ike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's terrible. Sounds like an inside job to me. Who's garage is it and what's your relation with them?

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
What part of the country ?
They were nicked from the garage attached to the house I'm currently living in. It's my girlfriend's house, I'd be astonished if it's anything to do with her. She has had the builders in recently. It's NW London, borders Wembley and Kingsbury. She thinks it's professionals. I don't, they left both chargers...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They were nicked from the garage attached to the house I'm currently living in. It's my girlfriend's house, I'd be astonished if it's anything to do with her. She has had the builders in recently. It's NW London, borders Wembley and Kingsbury. She thinks it's professionals. I don't, they left both chargers...
Yes, I'm not accusing her, but somebody must have known they were there. You need to ask her who knew that the bikes were there.

A random burglar would most likely be on their own, so would never take two bikes. It's possible to wheel one while riding the other, but that would be really suspicious to anyone that saw it.

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
She's of the opinion any passer-by could have spotted them at any time the garage door was open, blaming me for doing so whilst giving the bikes a wash recently. The place is on a fairly busy thoroughfare

My opinion is it must have been a van job. The odd thing is, I'm up very late, she gets up early, so there's someone about here nearly 24hrs a day - yet neither of us heard a thing.

What's "fb market place"? The police have told me to keep an eye on www.bikeshd.co.uk which I was told lists all recent bike adverts on gumtree, ebay and craiglist. Unfortunately it doesn't date them.

Sadly I forgot to ask what I'm supposed to do if I spot something that may be mine!

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
> What's "fb market place"?

Frame numbers are always good for confirming they're yours.
However, I guess the first thing that happens is they're ground off / overstamped.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Likely police won't be much use - the expectation is that you'll have insurance - if you spot it for sale on FB (Facebook marketplace), ebay, gumtree or local pawnbrokers is buy it back cheap as not having the charger. Plus let Woosh know someone might be asking after the price of a charger for your model of bike ;-)

Last edited:

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
For what it’s worth, I have 2 ebikes I bolted a anchor to garage floor. It won’t stop determined scum but probably the opportunist , hope you get them back.

Reactions: Grebacwhite

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
On two separate occasions I’ve informed the police when one of my stolen bikes popped up on gumtree / ebay / fb.

On both occasions the police weren’t interested - “sorry no resource available” was their response.

If you can purchase the stolen bike back through PayPal, I think you'd have a good chance of reversing the payment made to the thief - just remember to put a bogus delivery address into PayPal though (and arrange to collect in person), otherwise the thief could come after you.

Sep 13, 2020
I think it's a good idea to get one of those cat trackers and conceal it somewhere on your bike. They're not big so you could probably neatly fit it under your saddle - just make sure you get a colour match. They're associated with an app which enables you to track down where they are within 70 odd miles. Some even more.

Sorry you've had your bikes nicked OP. They really the easiest targets for thieving toerags. I've kept previous bikes in the spare room indoors, and will do so when I get my new bike fairly soon.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

Irishman1771

Just Joined
Sep 28, 2020
That makes me sick to my stomach!! I'm soo sorry this happened to you!! Don't give up looking for them! More than likely some kids saw you riding by a few times and followed you home.
Let us know what happens!
Aaron

misterjohn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2021
Manchester
Went into the garage of the place I'm staying at the moment and to my horror - both bikes gone, stolen sometime between Wednesday evening (26th) and this afternoon.

1. Brompton M6R with Nano conversion. 2010 model. Black with red forks and rear triangle. Cateye Velo computer. Integrated lights. Distinguishing marks - magnetic brake sensor held in place by Gorilla tape, left hand front mudguard stay fractured, front mudflap bolstered with Gorilla tape, front tyre (Schwable Marathon) due for replacement - coming off rim, rear luggage straps well stretched.

2. Woosh Big Bear. 2015 model I think. Suntour suspension seat post. Schwable Marathon tyres. Non-standard features: Luggage rack attached to seat bolt rather than frame bosses. Right hand rear rack attachment by allen bolt and nut, padded out with washers, rather than allen bolt into frame. Left hand standard. Integrated lights run straight off main battery. AXA ring lock (sadly with keys left in). Battery attachment broken, held in place by bungee strap. Large, rather tatty throw over panniers. North Road style handlebars.
My heart goes out to you. I feel the pain.

Sep 13, 2020
Since my previous post I've now got my e bike, and had it for nearly 10 months. I not only keep it in the house, but actually in my bedroom.

If anybody wants to nick it they'll have to break into the house first. I don't think that's going to happen.

My garage is full of useless junk, which I'm going to have to pay someone to take away at some point.