Help! Bought “New” Bike Which Arrived Damaged

Touring Optimist

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 30, 2019
Hi, I recently bought a Cube Touring Hybrid Pro Online. When the bike arrived there was some scratches on the frame and some bolts missing which I wasn’t too concerned about. However the Intuvia display was, not only damaged at the back, meaning it won’t stay on the bike but it also showed over 100 miles on the mileometer.
The bike was not advertised as used, ex demo or ex display. I have contacted the company, almost a week ago but have not had a reply. Should I return this bike completely or settle for a new Intuvia display?

D

Deleted member 25121

Should I return this bike completely or settle for a new Intuvia display?
Provided there's nothing else wrong with it and the missing bits & scratches are minor I'd settle for a replacement display, it would be much less hassle. The 100 miles could be easily have been clocked up it the bike had been used for test rides at the shop.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
You would not buy a brand new car with bits missing and scratches plus a faulty display and accept it(unless it had been heavily discounted) so why accept a new ebike in that condition.

Reactions: BigG and Gringo
D

Deleted member 25121

You would not buy a brand new car with bits missing and scratches plus a faulty display and accept it(unless it had been heavily discounted) so why accept a new ebike in that condition.
As I said, it depends on how serious the scratches are, maybe they could just be polished out or not visible unless you looked really hard.

I've bought plenty of expensive new German cars and they've all had minor paint blemishes if I looked hard enough.

And come to think of it I bought an ebike last year that had bits missing (shop sent missing bits), a broken controller bit (shop replaced) and swirl marks on the paint (now covered with dust and dirt).

I don't believe in wasting my time on trivial things.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think I'd keep the bike (with new display) mainly out of laziness.

Where does the memory of miles clocked come from on such bikes? Is there a memory in the motor, or will the new display go back to 0? Not that that makes any difference, just wondering.

It would be good when things settle down if you posted who the supplier was and how well they dealt with the issue.

D

Deleted member 25121

I think I'd keep the bike (with new display) mainly out of laziness.

Where does the memory of miles clocked come from on such bikes? Is there a memory in the motor, or will the new display go back to 0? Not that that makes any difference, just wondering.

It would be good when things settle down if you posted who the supplier was and how well they dealt with the issue.
I'm not sure about the Bosch Active Line motors, as used on the Cube Touring I think, but with the Performance Line CX motors the mileage is stored in the motor controller not the display.

I agree it would be good to know who the supplier is and how they behave after the matter is resolved.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, I recently bought a Cube Touring Hybrid Pro Online. When the bike arrived there was some scratches on the frame and some bolts missing which I wasn’t too concerned about. However the Intuvia display was, not only damaged at the back, meaning it won’t stay on the bike but it also showed over 100 miles on the mileometer.
The bike was not advertised as used, ex demo or ex display. I have contacted the company, almost a week ago but have not had a reply. Should I return this bike completely or settle for a new Intuvia display?
Did you get a big discount on the bike? Is that why you want to keep it? If it has 100 miles on the clock, it's an ex-demo bike or a previous customer return. The only way to get it like that is to ride it 100 miles. I don't think that you've told us the whole story.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I would advise the seller in writing via email then if they don't respond via recorded delivery and outline how you would like them to settle ie replacement bike vs replacement display and compensation for the scratches. I would expect to receive a brand new and expensive bike in perfect condition or receive a discount if it is in ex-display condition which wasn't stated at the time of purchase.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
The Trades Descriptions Act and the Sale of Goods Act both say that goods have to be as described therefore if the item, in this case one E-Bike is found to be damaged it's not as new.
Trading Standards should be contacted.

D

Deleted member 25121

The Trades Descriptions Act and the Sale of Goods Act both say that goods have to be as described therefore if the item, in this case one E-Bike is found to be damaged it's not as new.
Trading Standards should be contacted.
Do you contact Trading Standards every time you buy something that's faulty?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do you contact Trading Standards every time you buy something that's faulty?
I think it would be pretty significant if you ordered a new bike and when it arrived, it clearly wasn't.

In spite of that, we're missing key facts, like how much OP paid for said bike. I suspect that there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. Maybe he clicked the wrong one in the listings when he made his order and couldn't believe his luck when the price was much lower than he expected. Maybe later, we'll hear who the retailer is so that facts can be put under scrutiny.

If the facts are as stated in the OP, we need to know who the retailer is and how they deal with this. Maybe it was a genuine mistake on their side.

D

Deleted member 25121

I think it would be pretty significant if you ordered a new bike and when it arrived, it clearly wasn't.
Trading Standards would point out that the supplier has to be given the opportunity to rectify the situation.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Trading Standards would point out that the supplier has to be given the opportunity to rectify the situation.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Sorry for being a bit thick. In your previous post, it looked like you were trying to discourage him from informing Trading Standards. Now you're saying that they will help him. Can you please clarify.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
If you ordered new you should receive a new bike with no use
As other's have said thou did you order new or ex demo and not read the small print or the add properly
If you ordered new I would get it picked up at there expense and give them a chance to sort out there mistake if it's theirs

D

Deleted member 25121

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Sorry for being a bit thick. In your previous post, it looked like you were trying to discourage him from informing Trading Standards. Now you're saying that they will help him. Can you please clarify.
The supplier has to be given the opportunity to rectify the situation. If they don't do so then its time to get Trading Standards involved.
Hopefully this clarifies the laws for you.

We don't know, of course, whether the scratches are light scuffs that could easily be polished out or deep scratches that go down to the metal.

Touring Optimist

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 30, 2019
Thank you very much for all of your replies. The facts are I purchased the bike online from wainstanleybikes.co.uk I was looking for this model of bike and saw a sponsored ad from the company. The bike was not advertised as ex demo, ex display, used etc. The price paid was £1,919.20 plus £2.99 delivery. This was a good price but certainly not a price that would suggest a large discount. A complication in terms of returning the bike is that I am from outside the UK.

The scratches On the pedals and motor appear to have occurred in transit. However the saddle stem is internally very scratched which suggests to me that it has been adjusted many times and the bike has been used as a demo bike.

The scratches I can live with to be honest. I hope to tour with the bike and will probably get many more scratches on it. However The removal Intuvia display is damaged at the rear to the extent that it does not connect with the receivers on the stem without manually holding it in place and falls off entirely when under way.
I will try to post some pictures when I figure out how to.
Thanks again for the replies.

Reactions: ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i would ask for a new display or better the purion display as it is fixed in place and more easy to fit and less likely to get damaged in a crash.