Brake cable

Leedspete

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2021
I am having more problems with my lovely Kristal E5. They sent me new shocks but now I am having problems with brake cables. They are fraying But not at the ends but where they go into the brake. I have replaced the front cable twice but now the rear is doing the same
I just wondered if anyone had an idea on why this keeps happening? Am I braking too hard? Or is it the brakes doing this? They are the xtech hb100. Really doing my head in

Many thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buy quality JAG wire S/S cables.
I use them for my gear shifters , quality exposed wire cables shouldn't have issues.

If thye are rubbing and frayingis being cuased then there is a fitting issue, show us a pic or two of the cabke entry and wire damage.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
What I noticed when fitting (cable operated hydraulic caliper) XB-100's to one of my own e-bikes is that the angle of cable entry into the actual brake caliper is quite a bit different (sharper bend) than the mechanical brakes they replaced. On that e-bike with a relaxed cable run up to the entry point of the caliper it's not too critical, but I've seen others on YT where - because of how the brake cables are routed/tied along or through the bike frame - the actual angle of entry into the caliper is very tight/sharp.

The outer brake sleeves on this (cheap) e-bike don't compress too much either so they keep shape quite well (which is a good thing), but some of the tat I've seen on others looks soft giving a very spongy feel, and IMO not likely to sit quite right if needed to guide the cable through a tight bend into the caliper - especially when the brakes are pulled hard and the sleeves compress.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hopefully I have added correctly. This is just one of the times it happened. Has happened 3 times on the front and once on the back.
Add a side view pic?

Interested to see the angle of cable to lever.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looking at where that cable is breaking up, afaics it isn't anythng to do with the exit of the adjusing nut or the angle. I would be inclined to buy a better brake cable and s/s jag wires are pretty good.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Could it be that you're not tighteing the bolt enough, and it's slipping? The reason why I say that, is because the cable appears to be unravelling.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
How do you mean.
I was trying to see how sharp the angle is at the clamp. Something like this?

20221001_071732.jpg

It looks like the top strands break one by one, then the remainder are more heavily loaded, and then it fails.

May well be that a top quality inner is all you need. But worth checking if the top of the inner cable is getting jammed against the adjuster barrel when brake is fully applied.

20221001_125045.jpg