Brake lever cut off questions

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I still don`t really get why throttles are being phased out. Was there a reason given for the change?
The EU regulations are about keeping an e-bike as a pure bicycle, just with assistance power to help with adverse circumstances like hills and headwinds.

Therefore all power control comes from pedalling only. That's the thinking, anyone of any age or experience who can ride a bike can ride a pedelec without any legal restriction.

Having an independently acting throttle changes the nature of the beast, turning it into a very low powered motorcycle, and it was because Britain had throttles that we uniquely had a lower age limit of 14 years. I doubt we can get rid of that silly lower age limit now though, it's not part of the EAPC regulations that are being amended but in the Road Traffic Act of 1988.

On the disability issue, e-bikes are not intended to be mobility vehicles and an EU powered bicycle class suitable for the disabled does exist, it's the Low Powered Moped class. That's bikes with pedals and throttles still limited to 15.5 mph but allowed up to 1000 watts so ideal for the disabled. They do have to be registered though and ridden with a licence, just like the petrol cyclemotors of yesteryear.

Some feel that's a big issue, but I don't think so since there were over a million people who jumped that hurdle in the 1950s to ride the petrol ones.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The EU regulations are about keeping an e-bike as a pure bicycle, just with assistance power to help with adverse circumstances like hills and headwinds.

Therefore all power control comes from pedalling only. That's the thinking, anyone of any age or experience who can ride a bike can ride a pedelec without any legal restriction.

Having an independently acting throttle changes the nature of the beast, turning it into a very low powered motorcycle, and it was because Britain had throttles that we uniquely had a lower age limit of 14 years. I doubt we can get rid of that silly lower age limit now though, it's not part of the EAPC regulations that are being amended but in the Road Traffic Act of 1988.

On the disability issue, e-bikes are not intended to be mobility vehicles and an EU powered bicycle class suitable for the disabled does exist, it's the Low Powered Moped class. That's bikes with pedals and throttles still limited to 15.5 mph but allowed up to 1000 watts so ideal for the disabled. They do have to be registered though and ridden with a licence, just like the petrol cyclemotors of yesteryear.

Some feel that's a big issue, but I don't think so since there were over a million people who jumped that hurdle in the 1950s to ride the petrol ones.
All understood, so people like Stumpi (hope you don`t mind me using your name mate) need to stock up on existing bikes while they can?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All understood, so people like Stumpi (hope you don`t mind me using your name mate) need to stock up on existing bikes while they can?
Yes, Stumpi and Allen-UK will probably want to stay with throttles. Of course any e-bike can be infinitely renewed with new parts for ever, so even one sound bike owned before the regulation change is sufficient to last a lifetime.

Rather like the old cars without seatbelt attachments, some only with semaphore arm indicators and illegally positioned headlights, which are still in completely legal use after many decades.

Best to have proof of ownership though, a photo of the bike next to a car showing it's number plate is enough to prove prior date.

Last edited:

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I have, and they do work, I just don't like brake cutouts. I bought some reed switches that are use for model railways, I wired them into the thottle circuit, you are then able to keep the better quality brake/gear shifters, instead of the rubbish cutout lever assemblies.
Good stuff. I guess the only real challenge is finding a way to mount/glue them in a way that doesn't look unattractive, and is robust enough such that they don't keep dropping off! Can anyone recommend a good glue?

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Of course any e-bike can be infinitely renewed with new parts for ever, so even one sound bike owned before the regulation change is sufficient to last a lifetime.
Yep - I believe this is known as the "Trigger's broom" phenomena. :D

When does it cease being the same bike I wonder.

Best to have proof of ownership though, a photo of the bike next to a car showing it's number plate is enough to prove prior date.
My car has a 1998 reg. My bike was made 2010. Bike next to car just means it is 1998 or newer. We want to prove X date or older.

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
People ask me whether my bike chages as I ride it even more than they ask how far/fast it goes. That tells me that regen is a selling point.

Microswitches in brakes can turn on the regen when the levers are squeezed just a bit, slowing the bike a little without braking, then contine regen through braking.

As ebikes become mainstream and market demand favours those with regen, microswitches on brakes will be the norm.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When does it cease being the same bike I wonder.
Never really, even the frame is a part which can be damaged and changed. No VIN plate like those on cars.

My car has a 1998 reg. My bike was made 2010. Bike next to car just means it is 1998 or newer. We want to prove X date or older.
True, put your young looking self in the photo then, or get the photo signed with year of origin by a notary or trusted person.

Last edited:

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Good stuff. I guess the only real challenge is finding a way to mount/glue them in a way that doesn't look unattractive, and is robust enough such that they don't keep dropping off! Can anyone recommend a good glue?
Sorry mate, I've been too busy ranting on other threads, and forgot about this one! I've taken a couple of pics of the reed switch setup. It's the underneath of the lever assembly and totally invisable from above.

P1010004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

P1010005 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And yes aradite is perfect to stick them on, roughen up the surface with some abrasive cloth, as you can see the little magnet is glued to the lever.

Griz

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Sorry mate, I've been too busy ranting on other threads, and forgot about this one! I've taken a couple of pics of the reed switch setup. It's the underneath of the lever assembly and totally invisable from above.

And yes aradite is perfect to stick them on, roughen up the surface with some abrasive cloth, as you can see the little magnet is glued to the lever.

Griz
Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to take the photos.
I'm surprised kits don't come with this type of switch rather than the replacement levers that are usually supplied. This looks like a much better approach.

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007

Griz
Hi Griz - very neat job :) With my cut off brake lever bottoming out against the handlebar in the rain I'm tempted to replace it with the original Easyfire EF50 combined brake and gear lever unit that was on the bike and fit a reed switch and magnet just as you've done.

I'm just trying to understand what's going on though - is the reed switch normally open and when near the magnet it closes? And presumably this arrangement ties in with the controller - ie normally the circuit is completed when the brake is not activated and broken when the lever is pulled?

John

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Hi Griz - very neat job :) With my cut off brake lever bottoming out against the handlebar in the rain I'm tempted to replace it with the original Easyfire EF50 combined brake and gear lever unit that was on the bike and fit a reed switch and magnet just as you've done.

I'm just trying to understand what's going on though - is the reed switch normally open and when near the magnet it closes? And presumably this arrangement ties in with the controller - ie normally the circuit is completed when the brake is not activated and broken when the lever is pulled?

John

Hello John
that's exactly how they work, I put them in series with the throttle's green wire, but it depends on how your controller works, as to whether you can use them with the brake cutout circuit or not.

Griz

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hello John
that's exactly how they work, I put them in series with the throttle's green wire, but it depends on how your controller works, as to whether you can use them with the brake cutout circuit or not.

Griz
Thanks Griz :) - if I understand it you cut the green wire and connected the switch leads to either end so that so that when the brake isn't pulled the throttle works as normal and when it is pulled the throttle is disabled.

A simple mod but very effective - I'm sorry I didn't see this before I cut my brake lever off so I could fit the cut-off brake:( Ah well £25 will get a new EF50 unit and a proper working brake again! Cheers.

John

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Thanks Griz :) - if I understand it you cut the green wire and connected the switch leads to either end so that so that when the brake isn't pulled the throttle works as normal and when it is pulled the throttle is disabled.

A simple mod but very effective - I'm sorry I didn't see this before I cut my brake lever off so I could fit the cut-off brake:( Ah well £25 will get a new EF50 unit and a proper working brake again! Cheers.

John
That's right, but it will of course not work if you have a pedelec system, you will then need to connect to the brake cutout circuit, I'm not sure if they work by making or breaking.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
That's right, but it will of course not work if you have a pedelec system, you will then need to connect to the brake cutout circuit, I'm not sure if they work by making or breaking.
As it happens I couldn't fit the pedelec sensor - not enough room on either side of the crankset. So this should work fine for me :)