Brake lights and indicators

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
It occurs to me that these electric bikes have switches in the brake levers (to cut the motor out) so it should be possible to co-opt these to turn on a brake light.

And if my bike had indicators then I wouldn't need to take my hand off the throttle to signal right.

Has anyone fitted such lights?

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
The spooklight looks pretty cool, especially at only 90g. I see 50cycles sell it.

I like the ability to power a USB device from it too - should be handy for using my phone as a satnav.

Perhaps they could make a wired-in ebike version without the battery or accelerometer.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
And if my bike had indicators then I wouldn't need to take my hand off the throttle to signal right.

Has anyone fitted such lights?
I put a winkku on my bike when I first got it. It's a combined rear view mirror and right indicator. After using it for a few months the bracket it attaches to got broken and I never bothered to replace it.

The main problem I had with the indicator is that if drivers can see you're on a pushbike then they will expect you not to have indicator lights, so there's a chance they won't notice them, especially in daylight. As a result I felt that to be safe I still needed to let go of the throttle and use hand signals as well.

Patrick

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
The main problem I had with the indicator is that if drivers can see you're on a pushbike then they will expect you not to have indicator lights, so there's a chance they won't notice them, especially in daylight. As a result I felt that to be safe I still needed to let go of the throttle and use hand signals as well.

Patrick
I use Bicygnals - Indicators -Information - Bike Lights but I have never trusted car drivers to see them in sunny conditions. Great in the wet or in the dark though.

Colin

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Those bicygnals are neat and pretty good priced. But i do agree, drivers are used to bikes having flashing lights they really might not relate it to an indicator. I reckon a lot will but some wont are you willing to take the chance? I do think they are great but i would still check and hand signal as well, but both together they really would get your intentions. I still think i might get a set as they look great:D

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Last edited: