Brake recommendation for Wisper 905se needed

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Hi all

I had Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes (front) installed about 8 months ago after they were recommended to me, but they have been a disaster. They always squeak, are warped, poor performance. And I have no idea how to bleed them....

Can someone please recommend me replacement disc brakes? I really need to get new ones. Should I avoid hydraulic due their high-maintenance nature?

Any advice greatly received!

My experience has always been that hydraulic takes less maintaining than a cable disc setup. Bleeding can be a pain in the neck if you dont have the proper bleeding kit which are absurdly expensive but the hydraulics on my regular bike have yet to require bleeding.

Hydraulic brake are self adjusting, or should be, whereas cable versions need the wear taken in manually.

However, in practice a certain amount of hands on is usually necessary to get the balance between squeak and performance on some setups.

I would have thought the Juicy3 would have been a good choice but maybe the extra weight of eBikes and your riding style is asking too much of it. That's not a criticism of your riding, just an acceptance that we all differ. Maybe using a 185mm disc would be better. My thinking is that the bigger version will give greater stopping power and in the end not heat up as much as a 160mm. Not a proven theory, just a thought. :)

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Avid BB7

Juicy 3 is a good choice but they need a good set up. For more simple but powerful I recommend Avid Ball Bearing 7, these are very easy to adjust, very ow maintenance and you can still keep a lever with brake cut outs.

regards

Andrew

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Juicy 3 is a good choice but they need a good set up. For more simple but powerful I recommend Avid Ball Bearing 7, these are very easy to adjust, very ow maintenance and you can still keep a lever with brake cut outs.

regards

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. These seem great and the reviews are good. I just checked CRC website. Which size should I get for Wisper 905se? 160, 185 or 203mm?
Do they all fit? What difference does it make?

Many thanks

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Is it possible to set any of these disc brakes up so they are silent when not being used? I'm used to more trad brakes and know how to adjust them but I'm thrown by disc brakes. So on the Avids or on Hydraulic brakes can you arrange that the pads don't touch the disc?

You can get non touching if you have opposing pistons and in theory, hydraulics should automatically always be just clear of the disc when not applied. Mechanical will need the slack taking up over time. The single pot variety of cable operated calliper will be almost impossible to get the same level of clearance and still have acceptable braking performance. Single pot sliding callipers dont work well on motorbikes or cars and I can't imagine shrinking the technology will make it better.

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
I have been asked to provide the total length of the BB spindle/axle including threaded end sections, in order that the correct part can be ordered. I am not sure I have measured it properly.

I have it as 13cm. Can anyone else with a Wisper 905SE Sport (2008) let me know if they have the same measurement!

Many thanks

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
We have had excellent feedback for our hydraulic brakes which are available to non-Juicy bike owners.
Price for front and back callipers and handles, which include contact-less switches (very robust), 149 + postage. Pictures are on our website.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Killjoy, if you contact your dealer or Wisper Support and let them have full details of your bike they will be able to advise you.

Best regards

David

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Having a whisper does anyone have any recommendations for disc brake pads.
I bought a set of superstar sintered pads of ebay a long while back for the Whisper fitted tektro IOX cable brake and they lasted for ages compared to the Whisper supplied pads. The caveat being they took a couple of weeks to really bed in compared to the near instant stopping power of the Whisper supplied pads.

That reminds me, I think I still have a brand new set of pads somewhere if anyone can make use of them, just PM me.

Eventually when the calliper seized up I replaced it with a £45 Clarke S2 180mm Hydraulic disc brake. It was noisy at first but the stopping power was amazing. After I got fed up with the noise, I took the pads out and put copper slip on the metal backing the pads. The noise stopped but it took a few weeks for the stopping power to come back so I think I put the pads back the wrong way round. It still squeals from time to time but not enough to annoy. Also I am still on the first set of pads and zero maintenance. Lasting way longer than a cable disc brake and saving my rear pads!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Z0mb13e

We tend to use the softer pads because the bed in more easily and the stopping effect is greater immediately they are installed, however many do prefer the harder compound as it gives greater longevity.

All the best

David

Do you know what pads I should be using for a 905SE front brake ? The pads actually look like a table tennis bat, and have BP69 written on the back. There is a small hole at the end of each "handle", but these are none functional (as they stick out the brake mechanism). The pads seem to be held in place by magnets.

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
Slightly OT I know, but what are the indications I should look out for showing that the brake pads are worn? I've only had calliper brakes before, and the wear on those can be easily seen.

Karl.