Brake sensor for magura hs11 hydraulic brakes

blu joe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2023
Is it possible to connect some sort of brake sensor from my hudraulic brakes to my KT controller?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Yes you can but you will need to glue sensors and magnets in place. You can use hot glue for this but sometimes the magnets will disappear. A high strength adhesive is a more permanent solution, but more difficult to remove if you need to move the magnets, so it’s more important to get them in the correct place the first time around. Best to use low strength glue at first to get the position right and then reglue with high strength adhesive when you have everything positioned correctly.

They are a bit fiddly to set up, but work ok after some trial and error.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Here is one that I’m currently working on for a cable brake set up, but it‘s the same for hydraulic brakes. In this case I made a small clamp for the sensor so it’s less likely to come loose. The magnets are just hot glued at the moment, so I can get the position right.

The biggest issue is trying to find a flat enough surface on the brake assembly to glue the sensor in place.

It works ok, but I’m not particularly happy with it and I will probably rework it when I can think of a better solution.

You can buy magnets with a hole in the middle so they can be secured with an M3 screw, but I don’t have any more of them.

IMG_0106.jpeg

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Here is another on a Tektro hydraulic brake. This magnet has a hole so it can also be screwed in place if I drill and tap the lever. It’s all just hot glued at the moment. The kits come with sticky pads for the sensors and magnets, but if you don’t get them in the right place first time around they lose their stickiness and become useless.

IMG_0107.jpeg

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes most KT controllers have a pair of brake connectors , one can use both three wire and two wire sensors.
If only using two wire brake sensors then one simply ignores the 5v line in the controller brake connector.