Brake squeal

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
I have no need for a bell/horn on my Ebike, the damn brakes make enough noise when applied!
New pads about 100 miles ago and both front and back brakes make a hell of a din when applied strongly.
Any solutions?
Ta
Z

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have no need for a bell/horn on my Ebike, the damn brakes make enough noise when applied!
New pads about 100 miles ago and both front and back brakes make a hell of a din when applied strongly.
Any solutions?
Ta
Z
Yes, mine screech all the time, and have done for years. It's brilliant on the long downhill path to the towncentre.

• :D
Reactions: esuark

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Either the disc is in poor condition or the caliper is misaligned or they are pads of a noisy material, as many cheap off Ebay and after market pads are.

My Shimano B05S resin pads on a disc in good order and in an aligned caliper are silent, reasonably powerful, last longer than anything else I've tried and are cheap enough.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Like MS, I use the Shimano resin B01/03/05 compounds, having taken a set of sintered off one of my e-bikes because of some annoying squealing.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Ha...both my brakes and my sons make a royal racket despite mine being new last summer.

No bells needed as you say, just some braking and every one knows you're behind them...

I can actually play a tune on mine (I'm not kidding), front brake is a noticeably lower frequency than the rear brake so I break alternatively (v-brakes), left is bass drum, right is snare and I can crank out funky drummer and we will rock you...

Unfortunately my son's brakes re just a feckin' racket, sound completely detuned so he can't crank out lines like I can...shame...sure there are some tunes we could've done with 4 notes available.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
If you really want to make it better you could try washing rim with hot soapy water and degreasing pads, some get success doing this.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
If we're talking rim brakes here, then sometimes aligning the pads with some 'toe-in' helps.

To do this, loosen the pad, put a thin piece of card or plastic (1mm-2mm) behind the rear of the pad and re-tighten.

What your looking to do is get the front of the pad biting just before the whole pad. This has worked for me with noisy pads but of course needs to be repeated after a while as the toe-in wears back flat.