BrakeAce lets mountain bikers know if they're too big on the brakes

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
This is not just for e-bikes, but I thought that it could be of interest for many here as well:-

If you're a mountain biker who wants to go fast yet maintain control, then you shouldn't overuse your brakes. That's where the BrakeAce comes in, as it's a power meter that's designed to monitor your brake usage throughout each ride.

Taking the place of a bike's existing brake adapter (the bit that goes between the calliper and the frame or fork), the BrakeAce works with mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes, and is installed on both the front and rear brakes. Its inventor, Dr. Matt Miller, tells us that it could even be used on road bikes, if its software was adapted accordingly.

The video:- What happens when a MTB skills instructor tests the BrakeAce?

Full text only on the web link:-
Brake Ace.jpg

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I suppose it is useful if you ride the same routes and want to improve your times in each one. For the average rider / commuter it will probably be overkill and add unecessary weight / complications. One thing that I have found useful is when going round a corner is to use a twist throttle and brake at the same time. Going on to the corner keep throttle at full power and press the brake, when you release only the brake you still have the power to exit the corner at speed.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Glad to see you back @Andy-Mat, I thought you might have been scared away after yesterday's shenanigans in your other thread here....

Regarding this one- you don't need a gadget to tell you that you're over-using your brakes. The locked wheel is a more obvious indication...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Andy-Mat

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Call me naive, but brake fade/failure occurs when they overheat, don't they? Surely a simple thermal sensor strapped to the fins of your brake pads/calliper (designed/relied on to disperse the heat), simple circuit with green/yellow/red LED on the bars... job done for a fiver!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Call me naive, but brake fade/failure occurs when they overheat, don't they? Surely a simple thermal sensor strapped to the fins of your brake pads/calliper (designed/relied on to disperse the heat), simple circuit with green/yellow/red LED on the bars... job done for a fiver!
it is more for where you are using to much brake and could go faster down a track with less of it and more speed.

or just dont fit any brakes at all ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
this is only for pro racers as last time i looked was around 2k for the complete system and software.

fox also has a active suspension system. and thats about 4.5k

£2000? You can make your own by gluing a couple of strain gauges to your caliper adapter.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I suppose it is useful if you ride the same routes and want to improve your times in each one. For the average rider / commuter it will probably be overkill and add unecessary weight / complications. One thing that I have found useful is when going round a corner is to use a twist throttle and brake at the same time. Going on to the corner keep throttle at full power and press the brake, when you release only the brake you still have the power to exit the corner at speed.
That would not work for me, as I have brake sensors that stop the motor.
Many bikes have them I believe,
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
That would not work for me, as I have brake sensors that stop the motor.
Many bikes have them I believe,
Andy
if you had decent brakes you would not need the sensors.

i like my brakes like buttons so dont move much lever wise and the anchors have been dropped.

last guy i let have ago on my bike nearly flew over the handle bars even tho said to be careful with the brakes lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Has your bike got 203's front and back SW?

DSC_0188_02.JPG
yup

Reactions: Gavin

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
decent rotors are the key tho i did that in 1 day at the forest and warped to shite lol
DSC_0290.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
na i was going 60mph down a fire road lol :p

i broke that as well the bearings turnd to gray mush lol

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Glad to see you back @Andy-Mat, I thought you might have been scared away after yesterday's shenanigans in your other thread here....

Regarding this one- you don't need a gadget to tell you that you're over-using your brakes. The locked wheel is a more obvious indication...
Many thanks for your friendly greeting!:):p:D
But I never let total idiots bother me much, as many were simply born or brought up with poor manners, and when I answer them back in the same way they address me, they cannot handle it.
Their problem.
Furthermore, their lack of a suitable web link or similar that supports their misplaced, partial knowledge, just makes them even more laughable.
But who cares, its just a tiny few who are like that here.
I am still a strong supporter of Pedelec, nothing can put me off till
God requires my presence elsewhere!;)
As to the brake system, it is definitely far out of my price range, but I just thought it may be interesting for some here, even if only just to read about, then one is at least informed, but probably not interested.
I cannot tell you how much I read, just to stay up to date with any of my hobbies and the work I used to do before retiring....but its quite a lot!
Thanks again and stay healthy in these troubling times.
Regards
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

i like my brakes like buttons so dont move much lever wise and the anchors have been dropped.

last guy i let have ago on my bike nearly flew over the handle bars even tho said to be careful with the brakes lol
I have the same effect that if I really "put on the anchors", I might possibly also do a trip! I am really happy with my disk in all respects.
But at least on my bike the motor is not fighting the brakes, which IMO could over a period of time, might cause early motor problems. Its probably me being far more careful than truly needed, but once you have spent a life, working in high level electrics, electronics and physics generally, its hard for the Leopard to change his spots!
On a car, or a motorbike there is a clutch to disengage one from the other, or an automatic gearbox, which prevents the two "fighting" so to say.
But all in all, I am extremely happy with the way my brake sensors remove motor power, as good as instantly.
But each to his own preference with such things, and your ideas have given me some new ideas.
Just a thought, maybe the good life I get from disks and pads has something to do with the brake lever sensors, and I have never considered that before!
Many many thanks for the ideas and thoughts!:)
regards
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the brakes are strong enough on the rear with no sensor you would snap all the bolts holding the rotor to the hub.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
if the brakes are strong enough on the rear with no sensor you would snap all the bolts holding the rotor to the hub.
That could be a possibility.
I myself have never ridden an e-bike without them, so I thought it was the norm.....Wrongly it would appear!
But I myself, would never consider disabling them for any reason at all!
Thanks
Andy

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales

I go totally opposite, I like a lot of modulation. Took me a while to get the Magura MT7 to work like my old Avid Trail XO.

Related Articles

Advertisers