Brakes were spoiling my Pedelec fun.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
I got a rear puncture today. After a bit of faffing I got a new Slime tube installed and got it all put back but I noticed that the V brake pads are already quite worn. I slackened the brakes off and took it for a test ride. What I had thought was quite annoying motor resistance was the brakes being on all the time!

I will be telling the shop I want some new pads.. I'll fit them though.

The bike is now more rideable without the motor running and I look forward to putting the battery back in once charged to see how much nippier it is. It was already good at accelerating and hill climbing so I should have more fun on the way to work tomorrow.

Should I worry that all the extra resistance may have harmed the motor?

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
When i set up my V brakes on my other bikes, I dont have the pads to close to the rim, I know some people
set the leaver so they only have to pull it 2mm and the wheel grinds to a halt, even though you will have to pull the leaver further back when leaving more distance,its better than what has happen to you, the bike will still stop.

Good luck.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
When i set up my V brakes on my other bikes, I dont have the pads to close to the rim, I know some people
set the leaver so they only have to pull it 2mm and the wheel grinds to a halt, even though you will have to pull the leaver further back when leaving more distance,its better than what has happen to you, the bike will still stop.

Good luck.
Yes, mine now needs pulling nearly all the way to stop the wheel. The front is a disc brake so I know I can stop safely.

D

Deleted member 4366

I got a rear puncture today. After a bit of faffing I got a new Slime tube installed and got it all put back but I noticed that the V brake pads are already quite worn. I slackened the brakes off and took it for a test ride. What I had thought was quite annoying motor resistance was the brakes being on all the time!

I will be telling the shop I want some new pads.. I'll fit them though.

The bike is now more rideable without the motor running and I look forward to putting the battery back in once charged to see how much nippier it is. It was already good at accelerating and hill climbing so I should have more fun on the way to work tomorrow.

Should I worry that all the extra resistance may have harmed the motor?
You're not the first, and you won't be the last I'm appalled by the standard of setting up I've seen on may electric bikes. I've seen cable disk brakes where the calliper lever pulls all the way to the cable exit. Nearly every one bends the disc. If you have a cable disc bike, watch the disk as you apply the disc. If it bends sideways at the calliper, its set-up wrong. If you want to fix it yourself, its easy: You just loosen the two screws that hold the caliper pointing towards the ground (not the two parallel to the axle), then hold on the brake and tighten them while still holding the brake on. This is the biggest single reason why disc brakes don't work very well.

Whatever bike you get, the first thing you should do is lift each wheel off the ground and spin them to see that they spin freely. If you haven't already done it, do it now. I've had a new bike with over-tightened wheel bearings that would have self-destroyed if I had ridden it like that. As mentioned, brake problems are probably a lot more common than you think.

crankyhorse

Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
The bike is working much better now that the rear brake is not rubbing and I checked the front disc and it seems fine, thanks for the advice d8veh.