Brand new Pendleton Battery won't charge.

ccorcoran

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2022
Hi,

I bought a Pendleton ebike a few weeks ago. I couldn't get the battery to charge at all. Plugged it in and the light on the charger remained green, and the battery didn't take on any charge in the 8 hours it was on charge for.

I took it back to Halfords, they couldn't get it to charge either and replaced the battery for me.

I am now having the same problem with this new battery.

Is there a trick to getting it to charge that anyone knows? I feel that there must be, its way more likely that I am missing something than both batteries having the same problem.

Thanks so much

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi,

I bought a Pendleton ebike a few weeks ago. I couldn't get the battery to charge at all. Plugged it in and the light on the charger remained green, and the battery didn't take on any charge in the 8 hours it was on charge for.

I took it back to Halfords, they couldn't get it to charge either and replaced the battery for me.

I am now having the same problem with this new battery.

Is there a trick to getting it to charge that anyone knows? I feel that there must be, its way more likely that I am missing something than both batteries having the same problem.

Thanks so much
From a sample of one, so treat with appropriate caution, I found I had to turn on the main switch on my generic 48V battery to let the charger get going. I thought that was a bit strange, and may not be the same for your bike.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The problem usually is no more than the slightly odd way the battery LED's work. You can leave it on charge for 8 hours and still only one LED lights. That's normal.

You press the button for 2 seconds to switch the battery on or off. The 1 LED shows it's working. If you press and hold the button for 5 seconds then 1 to 4 LEDs will flash to show the actual state of charge between 20% and full.

It's in your manual on Page 9.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Have you managed to actually measure the voltage of the battery with a reliable/accurate Volt or Multi meter?
Please post the results here as it may assist others to assist you!
That is the first thing that I would do.....
A 36 volt nominal bike battery should be above 30 volts and below or at 42 volts, for example.
If (for example only) a 36 volt bike battery goes even just below somewhere around 30 volts, the BMS electronics will prevent a normal charger working. Then only skilled and knowledgeable help MAY get the battery working as normal again.
I had the same experience with my second e-bike delivery and the company "lent" me a so called "0 Volt Charger", which immediately recovered the battery, which has been working ever since (over 4 years!)
Best of luck
Andy
PS. This is the charger that I used to recover my battery:-
They work well, if you happen to have a 36 volt nominal, battery ONLY!

Last edited: