Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Do you use the polonium to power a time travel machine? If so, can give us a spoiler and tell us all how it all ends?

Actually I know how it ends. We and everyone we care about all die, eventually.
Come on now, with luck it won't be today! everything will work out in the long run.
Hopefully before the dying bit, at least the younger ones will get to see it even if we don't.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you use the polonium to power a time travel machine? If so, can give us a spoiler and tell us all how it all ends?

Actually I know how it ends. We and everyone we care about all die, eventually.
No, polonium 210 emission has been use for many years as an effective static eliminator in various forms of high speed printing, especially newsprint. Jams at high speed in the presses can cause catastrophic damage to the machinery, and high voltage coratron static discharge is ineffective at high pass speeds.

In fact polonum 210 is completely harmless externally, even the thinnest tissue paper being an effective shield to the Alpha particle emission. The layer of dead skin scales that we have all the time gives us complete outside protection.

It's only internally that it is harmful since our internal surfaces have no dead skin cell layer.

In fact polonium 210 has been superceded in the latest high pass anti-static applications by beta emitters which are also harmless and can't be readily ingested. They are more readily available now. Polonium 210 production is only 95 grams worldwide with over 95% of that from Russia since they have the most efficient reactors. The USA produces the remainder.

My application wasn't printing.

• Informative
Reactions: tillson and trex

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
My German distributor was in our warehouse today,he said his father was in tears after the Brexit vote,for almost 70 years we haven't had a war in Europe, he thought that was down to the EU,he was worried about any break up could get nasty.
He was a roofer after WW2,I suspect a busy profession.
KudosDave

Reactions: derf

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My German distributor was in our warehouse today,he said his father was in tears after the Brexit vote,for almost 70 years we haven't had a war in Europe, he thought that was down to the EU,he was worried about any break up could get nasty.
KudosDave
Some stats for you of Hull in WW2
Houses damaged 86,715; Houses undamaged 5,945; Number of alerts 815.
Having been brought up in a devastated city and known what real poverty is like from personal experience i empathise completely with that sentiment.
A united Europe is the best guarantee of peace ever, it is critical.
What amazes me is how people now living in this country believe themselves hard up and suffering when they haven't even the slightest notion of how living like that feels, I can remember hunger and as a kid begging at the old fruit dock for spoiled fruit because i was hungry, wearing patched hand me down clothes and shoes lined with cardboard, so petty arguments over profit and loss, sovereignty and all the rest of that crap don't impress me at all.
What happens to me is simply irrelevant, and it wont be for long anyway, but what happens to my Children and theirs is frightening to say the least.
We had a good thing going for us, not perfect but compared to the world I came into these times are paradise on Earth.
I am the first in eight generations of my family that has not had to fight in a European war.
That is the supreme achievement of the EU
Now we have blown it and all because of lies.

Last edited:
Reactions: trex and Croxden

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No, polonium 210 emission has been use for many years as an effective static eliminator in various forms of high speed printing, especially newsprint. Jams at high speed in the presses can cause catastrophic damage to the machinery, and high voltage coratron static discharge is ineffective at high pass speeds.

In fact polonum 210 is completely harmless externally, even the thinnest tissue paper being an effective shield to the Alpha particle emission. The layer of dead skin scales that we have all the time gives us complete outside protection.

It's only internally that it is harmful since our internal surfaces have no dead skin cell layer.

In fact polonium 210 has been superceded in the latest high pass anti-static applications by beta emitters which are also harmless and can't be readily ingested. They are more readily available now. Polonium 210 production is only 95 grams worldwide with over 95% of that from Russia since they have the most efficient reactors. The USA produces the remainder.

Aha! My application wasn't printing, eh? Vaaary Interesting! then may one enquire what nefarious use was it being put to?
Or perhaps one shouldn't ask in case Umbrellas are involved in some way?
Nudge nudge, wink, wink?:eek:

• :D
Reactions: flecc

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012

Wow!!!!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Are these later beta emitters effective even when there are humidity problems? i seem to have some vague recollection that there is a problem there, we (the company that is)used to print out own publicity material not so long ago and the weather got the blame at times for jams even though the 210 lasted for a year or so.before being sent back and replaced.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are these later beta emitters effective even when there are humidity problems? i seem to have some vague recollection that there is a problem there, we used to print out own publicity material and the weather got the blame at times for jams even though the 210 lasted for a year or so.before being sent back and replaced.
I believe that can be a problem with beta emitters, but I've never used them. I cancelled my licence for use in 1995 after 22 years with it since I'd stopped using isotopes and the government started annual charging.

I also used to use polonium 210 isotopes for well over a year, despite their half life only being some 138 days. That's probably why they worked so well in damp conditions, being overkill for much of their useful life.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
the odd thing - and i genuinely appreciate your post - is that, following brexit, i'm not sure i believe in democracy anymore. and i used to, fervently. i'm beginning to think either a relatively benign plutocracy, as we have in the UK outside referenda (with puppet mp's serving the interests of rich benefactors) may not in fact be as horrid as i thought. i genuinely think the voters of the UK made a terrible misinformed mistake. perhaps voting should be like gun ownership - subject to mental health, IQ and other police checks.
Perhaps you could be the final arbiter and only people who are more than 75% likely to vote for an issue that you support will be allowed to participate in an election. That would be fair wouldn't it?

I don't think I'd like to live in your world. I'll take BREXIT any day over what you are proposing.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Standard Life shuts property fund amid rush of Brexit withdrawals
Yes, the property rats are deserting ship, it's the first definite sign of a post Brexit decision economic downturn as the property investors get frightened. Lloyds of London are getting rattled too, and George Osbourne is proposing slashing corporation tax to keep companies from deserting.

And just to put the boot in, Alain Juppé, favourite to be the next French president, has said he intends to remove the right for our immigration officials to operate from Calais, meaning the jungle will come to us.

I wonder when the balancing good news starts?

• Agree
Reactions: trex

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Perhaps you could be the final arbiter and only people who are more than 75% likely to vote for an issue that you support will be allowed to participate in an election. That would be fair wouldn't it?

I don't think I'd like to live in your world. I'll take BREXIT any day over what you are proposing.
I can see how you may imagine that's what I mean, but it's not. I rather enjoy it when others disagree with me - but in an informed way that is at least in passing also empirical, about reality. It's the difference between someone saying "get with the programme we'll be fine" versus explaining how we dig ourselves out of the massive current account deficit.

Mar 9, 2016
I can see how you may imagine that's what I mean, but it's not. I rather enjoy it when others disagree with me - but in an informed way that is at least in passing also empirical, about reality. It's the difference between someone saying "get with the programme we'll be fine" versus explaining how we dig ourselves out of the massive current account deficit.
By not digging ourselves into recession with hysterical panic.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
KudosDave
He may be on to something,I was listening to Jeremy Bowen describe the horror of life in Baghdad earlier and thought a how much we take democracy and peace for granted and b how rapidly nightmares happen

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
By not digging ourselves into recession with hysterical panic.
There really is so much more than panic driving us towards recession. And I say that as someone who is unfortunately on the same boat.

Mar 9, 2016
There really is so much more than panic driving us towards recession. And I say that as someone who is unfortunately on the same boat.
I,m afraid I,m beginning to have to agree with you on that derf.
Don't get me wrong I,m not doing a u turn. I believe wholehearedly the country could prosper outside eu.
However the absolutely shambolic way it has been handled is making me think either it will never happen or be disastrous if it does. I do think folk panicking has its effect but this and what's happening ( or not happening) is absolutely the responsibility of our government.
No doubt Cameron was well prepared had he won. He,d have known exactly what to do,who to call and which systems to put in place. Likewise Gove, Garage and Johnson had they lost.
Both sides have been so busy "winning" the campaign they forgot what to do if they did.( or didn't in Cameron,s case)
Anybody who has achieved anything to a decent standard, either in sport, commerce or industry knows to plan for best but expect worst. ( the stupid out campaign planned losing but won, and still had no plans)
Neither side had a clue what to do with this outcome. Garage resigns, Gove goes missing, Boris stands down. Cameron resigns. Fecking brilliant. They offered us out but were 5 years from giving it us. Its a shambles.
A month ago Cameron , for sake if his beloved country, could have come on and said he was impartial to in or out and would represent his countries wishes and made plans for either eventuality.
Gove , Johnson and Farage had no " road map" to put in place on winning. Nothing. Cameron had no road map for losing. So now , whilst they scurry about infighting with no leaders we are hobbling a plan together for brexit that's coming a distant second to choosing a party leader. This is what's damaging country. Not a single plan in place for situation we are now in. Absolutely ridiculous.
We should not be blaming brexit intrinsically , or the people for panicking, we should all be asking why offer country something nobody is prepared ( in both senses of word) to give us. The government was in no place to offer a referendum, but they did , and this is what we get. A fecking shambles. Many thanks the whole lot of them.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I,m afraid I,m beginning to have to agree with you on that derf.
Don't get me wrong I,m not doing a u turn. I believe wholehearedly the country could prosper outside eu.
However the absolutely shambolic way it has been handled is making me think either it will never happen or be disastrous if it does. I do think folk panicking has its effect but this and what's happening ( or not happening) is absolutely the responsibility of our government.
No doubt Cameron was well prepared had he won. He,d have known exactly what to do,who to call and which systems to put in place. Likewise Gove, Garage and Johnson had they lost.
Both sides have been so busy "winning" the campaign they forgot what to do if they did.( or didn't in Cameron,s case)
Anybody who has achieved anything to a decent standard, either in sport, commerce or industry knows to plan for best but expect worst. ( the stupid out campaign planned losing but won, and still had no plans)
Neither side had a clue what to do with this outcome. Garage resigns, Gove goes missing, Boris stands down. Cameron resigns. Fecking brilliant. They offered us out but were 5 years from giving it us. Its a shambles.
A month ago Cameron , for sake if his beloved country, could have come on and said he was impartial to in or out and would represent his countries wishes and made plans for either eventuality.
Gove , Johnson and Farage had no " road map" to put in place on winning. Nothing. Cameron had no road map for losing. So now , whilst they scurry about infighting with no leaders we are hobbling a plan together for brexit that's coming a distant second to choosing a party leader. This is what's damaging country. Not a single plan in place for situation we are now in. Absolutely ridiculous.
We should not be blaming brexit intrinsically , or the people for panicking, we should all be asking why offer country something nobody is prepared ( in both senses of word) to give us. The government was in no place to offer a referendum, but they did , and this is what we get. A fecking shambles. Many thanks the whole lot of them.
Good God Flud! I agree!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Blunderland Right Wing Morning News

Theresa May calls for urgent go-ahead on Trident replacement
Theresa May wants to renew Trident subs NOW to show Britain has a 'full role' in the world
"May the Force be with you!"
(Perhaps with an EU loan?)
Who in their right mind would want to invade the UK now?

Nigel Farage admits Ukip leadership came at a 'cost' to him and his family
Who the hell does this cretin think he's kidding?
And this classic from the Daily Express that imagines the public to be even more stupid than they are
"
EU demands Britain pays £12 BILLION into Brussels budget despite Brexit vote next year"
Of course we will be paying it we are still members you stupid B*****S
Once more the press is trying to turn the public into a mass of baying rabid dogs against the EU
And sure enough there were the usual moronic comments from "allegedly" their readers. (perhaps)
And they decided to hedge their bets a bit
"Brexit: Will the EU make a shameless bid to use Article 7 to force Britain out?"
says the headline
Followed by
"
But European Union law experts say that it is “almost unthinkable” that the EU would take this drastic step to put pressure on Britain.

Dr Nikos Skoutaris, a lecturer at the University of East Anglia, said that the EU can use Article 7 to suspend rights such as access to the single market or voting rights in the European Council.

But Dr Skoutaris said in order to trigger that Article, the EU must detect a clear risk of a serious breach by a member state of EU values referred to in the treaty. "

He said: “Those values are, among else, freedom, democracy, respect of human rights including the rights of minorities. So, there must be a really grave risk to one of those in order the EU to use Article 7.”

But he said: “This procedure has never been triggered so far and it is almost unthinkable that it would be triggered to the UK situation.”

Obviously the Express reckons it's readers don't have the attention span of the average Gnat and won't read down past the headline.
And the Daily Mail
"
The world queues up to win trade deals with Britain after Brexit: America is clamouring for a deal while talks are set to begin with Australia, South Korea and India "

Just one drawback, until we actually leave the EU legally we cant do that, can we?
The lies are still in full flow in the press, aren't they? and it's obvious why as the crap hits the fan and support for the cause drains away

"More lies into the breach Dear Friends! More lies!"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Croxden and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and derf

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014