Brexit, for once some facts.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
There is an interesting legal challenge to the referendum itself,the U.K. Is a 'family of 4 nations',the constitution of each state is a seperate country,so for the referendum to be effective Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland would have had to individually voted to leave,we know that they voted to remain.
KudosDave
I wish this would be how things will work out. I'm afraid the economic crap looks as if it will become the only show in town. And the tory election process wont help this (even if they elected, say , May, the kind of unintelligent noises she makes - such as about eu immigrants in uk - suggests she is not capable of getting a handle on anything, even if she's better than the others). And mark carney will probably be the only character in this version of hamlet who will try to stop the bloodletting. But whatever he does will probably make things worse (lower interest rates; pound, pension fund deficits up; capital projects shelved, etc etc). were in for a rosy time. on the plus side the weather is really great. it feels like a proper summer, which is a rare thing in England. la la la la la.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is an interesting legal challenge to the referendum itself,the U.K. Is a 'family of 4 nations',the constitution of each state is a seperate country,so for the referendum to be effective Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland would have had to individually voted to leave,we know that they voted to remain.
KudosDave
I've been saying this for years Dave, the structure of this country is nonsensical. That England and Scotland are nations and countries is the only thing that is certain. Northern Ireland, made from six counties, can be considered a country, but it's hardly a nation.

Wales is a nation and is said to be a country but it is a Principality with a Prince of Wales, and principalities are not countries. When Wales was designated a country, the principality should have been abolished.

A country is never made up of countries, so Britain, Great Britain and the United Kingdom are not countries, they are forms of federations, and that is especially true now that Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have their own forms of national government.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Flud
I agree with you, this post has stopped being interesting, just repetitive from the hard core remainers that will accept nothing, so for that reason I will now bow out of the discussion
As a final bye bye I leave you with following comment from the Daily Mail
It is ostensible talking about T May, but has some interesting points to be made about the Remainers which I hope you will read, not that I can possible expect any agreement here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3672924/DAILY-MAIL-COMMENT-Brexit-Theresa-means-it.html
where on earth have all you happy brexit campers gone? same place as boris or farage? you cant possibly leave the party, just when it's all getting interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36721278
looks rosy no? luvverly? what was it about getting with the programme you were on about before? how about getting with this programme?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there is only one word that would bring back much needed foreign investors: 'Norway'. The conservative membership must not vote for that idiot Leadsom.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and derf
But why would we "leave" and negotiate a deal like the Norway model?

They are members of the EEA, so are subject to about 1/5 of the EU laws, and they have to accept free movement of people, they are in fact subject to the Schengen agreement.

So we'd actually have all the things people are complaining about won't change, and in fact might get worse (please note I use worse in their sense, personally I think migration is a positive thing).

All we'd be doing is getting a worse deal from the EU, and less input and less control.

Can anyone explain to me who the Norway model is more positive than what we have now?

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

They are members of the EEA, so are subject to about 1/5 of the EU laws, and they have to accept free movement of people, they are in fact subject to the Schengen agreement.

So we'd actually have all the things people are complaining about won't change, and in fact might get worse (please note I use worse in their sense, personally I think migration is a positive thing).

All we'd be doing is getting a worse deal from the EU, and less input and less control.

Can anyone explain to me who the Norway model is more positive than what we have now?
ER, perhaps the powers that be believe that they can lie with enough (with the Aid of that kind Mr Muroch and his "Free Press")
That we must make a "Patriotic Sacrifice" to preserve our "independence and Sovereignty" with sufficient conviction to bamboozle the public again?
They could sweeten the bitter pill by saying that we wont have to pay for all those MEP's, and worry about fighting to accept the EU rules, which on reflection were pretty good after all, and more immigration was on the cards anyway, wasn't it?
Oh and we wont be letting that Nasty Blair chap go invading all and sundry and and causing millions to flee.
Plus call me Dave will apologise for his little adventures he has said.
"It wasn't me really, and more importantly, but I won't do it again."

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
ER, perhaps the powers that be believe that they can lie with enough conviction(with the Aid of that kind Mr Muroch and his "Free Press") to promote the notion that we must make a "Patriotic Sacrifice" to preserve our "independence and Sovereignty" with sufficient conviction to bamboozle the public again?
They could sweeten the bitter pill by saying that we wont have to pay for all those MEP's, and worry about fighting to accept the EU rules, which on reflection were pretty good after all, and more immigration was on the cards anyway, wasn't it? (for the sake of the economy)
Oh and we wont be letting that Nasty Blair chap go invading all and sundry and and causing millions to flee.
Plus call me Dave will apologise for his little adventures he has said.
"It wasn't me really, I was just doing what Mr Blair inspired me to do, and more importantly,I won't do it again."
At a stroke all will be well and the number of Refugees slashed to an easily manageable trickle.
Since the referendum when this country slipped into a parallel Orwellian reality, it all makes perfect sense.
Power to the people in now out of date
Power to the Persons is the new Clarion call, any guess as to the identity of this group of well meaning souls?:(
TGWF as I recall someone saying (The Goodness will flow)

Last edited:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

i have a hunch even the most ardent brexit supporters are aching to draw a line under the whole experience, "put it down to experience", "let's not mention it again, no?" and pay the little price of immigration if everyone can just, er, "move on". they have screwed themselves and the rest of us who have to share this country with them, royally.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
i have a hunch even the most ardent brexit supporters are aching to draw a line under the whole experience, "put it down to experience", "let's not mention it again, no?" and pay the little price of immigration if everyone can just, er, "move on". they have screwed themselves and the rest of us who have to share this country with them, royally.
You are just being negatives as the water is only up to your ankles. This is a time for being optimistic
"Time for another tune to cheer them up lads!"
Style of thing :confused:
Yes, before you say it , I already know I'm insane, I can either accept that or the more alarming conclusion that I'm not but everyone else is!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
where on earth have all you happy brexit campers gone? same place as boris or farage? you cant possibly leave the party, just when it's all getting interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36721278
looks rosy no? luvverly? what was it about getting with the programme you were on about before? how about getting with this programme?
Still here. The future looks promising, the outlook bright.

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
You are just being negatives as the water is only up to your ankles. This is a time for being optimistic
"Time for another tune to cheer them up lads!"
Style of thing :confused:
yes, whenever I see footage on tv of eastern Europe I'm always struck by how beautiful the nature looks. I was thinking it could be fun to live in an expat English "jungle" somewhere on the border of, oh I don't know, Romania? Perhaps with regular attempts of competing with other Englishmen to get into the back of Romanian lorries to try and get work as potato diggers on a Romanian farm? We could all continue this little tet-a-tet about brexit while applying for, oh I don't know, Albanian citizenship?

Reactions: mike killay

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Still here. The future looks promising, the outlook bright.
That's the stuff to inspire the troops!
Pity that the Generals have fled the field in abject terror, nevertheless i shall heed your call

Raising my right hand in a Vulcan salute I shall repeat
"The goodness Will flow!"

Is it true by the way that you have quoted the last words of the Mayors of Sodom and Gommorah for that stirring call to arms?:D

Reactions: Croxden and tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
yes, whenever I see footage on tv of eastern Europe I'm always struck by how beautiful the nature looks. I was thinking it could be fun to live in an expat English "jungle" somewhere on the border of, oh I don't know, Romania? Perhaps with regular attempts of competing with other Englishmen to get into the back of Romanian lorries to try and get work as potato diggers on a Romanian farm? We could all continue this little tet-a-tet about brexit while applying for, oh I don't know, Albanian citizenship?
Bye. Have fun.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That's the stuff to inspire the troops!
Pity that the Generals have fled the field in abject terror, nevertheless i shall heed your call

Raising my right hand in a Vulcan salute I shall repeat
"The goodness Will flow!"

Is it true by the way that you have quoted the last words of the Mayors of Sodom and Gommorah for that stirring call to arms?:D
Field Marshall Leadsom will lead us to a magnificent victory, with many acts of valour along the way.

Now pick up your rifle and ready yourself for the bully-off man. No more of this quivering lippeed, I'm too frightened attitude. We're going to hit 'em hard in the first chukka.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It isn't, it's worse, since sending goods into the mainland EU countries will involve far more bureaucracy that at present. The larger busineses wil handle that ok, but smaller outfits will struggle if they wish to continue sending goods to multiple countries.

But business leaders see the Norway model as the least damaging for our prospects if we leave. I've just been listening to a selection of four of them on the subject, from small outfits to large ones like Siemens UK.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Field Marshall Leadsom will lead us to a magnificent victory, with many acts of valour along the way.
I doubt she'll get the opportunity to even attempt it, nor am I convinced she'd even try hard enough. A short while ago she was a remainer. I think she's just good at arguing, but like all politicians not too bothered what case she's arguing, so long as it's personally beneficial.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I doubt she'll get the opportunity to even attempt it, nor am I convinced she'd even try hard enough. A short while ago she was a remainer. I think she's just good at arguing, but like all politicians not too bothered what case she's arguing, so long as it's personally beneficial.
oh flecc you are a sceptic.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Now pick up your rifle and ready yourself for the bully-off man. No more of this quivering lippeed, I'm too frightened attitude. We're going to hit 'em hard in the first chukka.
And gentlemen in England now
Abed will think themselves accursed they were not here.
And hold their manhood cheap
When tales are told
That fought with us upon St Crispin's day.
As Blair said I'll be with you whatever

Are we allowed to sing a chorus of
England uber alles as we go?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Advertisers