Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Honest! More like bitter and twisted. You are like a foul bad taste running through this thread. I went back to page one out of interest and your negativity and sarcasm was evident right from the first with no encouragement needed or the excuse of defence required
Not true of course, but at least it pleased Flud, so you have at least one friend, which must be a new experience, and comes highly recommended.
You really need to get that anger under control, and learn to debate like a "Grown up" ;)

• :D
Reactions: BrendanJ

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Raising all your hopes on article 50 are you, we will see:)
What hopes would that be Brendan? remember I posted that I hope it does go through so that people who voted for Brexit experience the consequences of their action?
As always you sail past the point and head at Flank speed into a fantasy of your own making.
I am after all on your side in this am I not?
I want article 50 invoked; and how does that strike you?

My post #1305
"'Im against a second referendum too, the consequences of the decision made have to be faced and will prove one or other side correct, even though of course there is a high probability that it will take years to get back to where we started afterwards, and by that time i shall have no worries anyway of any kind.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Sorry OG but I totally agree with sentiments in this post. Yes we,ve all argued, disagreed but the insults ,, sarcasm and put d.owns in every case start with one of your posts.

New PM has no choice but to take us out. Art 50 will be initiated without a doubt.
Its been mentioned other EU countries have ignored teferenums. They have but they have all been on eu statutes. Our government ignoring one would be a precedent. No way on earth a conservative govt would ignore 17 million voters. Their primary directive is staying in power, everything after that is secondary. Yes there is no viable. Opposition at moment,but just stop and think what Labour would be saying if May remained. Its not going to happen.
Ps. Pound recovered a bit, ftse at 11 month high. The hysterical panic is calming..
Well said Flud, as usual you make no sense, but at least you are consistent,
"but the insults ,, sarcasm and put d.owns in every case start with one of your posts."
Indeed that may be true, but they came AFTER my posts and not from me.
So far as I can see at the very worst I have helped people to explain their position and judge for themselves how sensible they are.
Which in no way is insulting, merely making well intended helpful observations from which I sincerely hoped they might benefit. :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc....if she is really determined to Brexit,how do you think she is going to get the repeal of the 1972 European Communities Act through Parliament?
Without achieving this,Brexit cannot happen?
KudosDAve
I've no idea Dave, I'm only taking note of her various utterances. She might have in mind trying to get a good enough overall indication from the EU members to persuade the parliamentarians to repeal that communities act. If so, I wish her luck with that! :rolleyes:

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
One word, Norway.

They voted not to join the EU, but their relationship is nearly identical to ours. They accept free movement, they have most of the EU laws, (even our pedelec one!), and they pay in substantially.

What they don't have is any say in any of those.
Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it the Norwegian people are not happy with the deal they got. But the politicians forced it on them

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it the Norwegian people are not happy with the deal they got. But the politicians forced it on them
apologies for rather obvious link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway–European_Union_relations
but oddly Norway have a very similar political discourse around joining than UK (urban rural division, even down to 52/48% ration in election in 94). unfortunately we've rogered ourselves and the world knows it. like Norway we have the happy choice of being open to the EEC pretty much on their terms or observing our economy implode.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I see that someone has put a brick through the office windows of Angela Eagle. Somehow I don't think it will be a Brexiter or a UKIP member. Must be someone from the saintly left wing!!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Originally Norway joined EFTA as a founder member which meant compliance with many EU requirements, and as far as I remember the Norwegians were very happy with that situation. Indeed they prospered. Since that was an "almost in" situation their government long after asked via a referendum whether they wanted to take the final step of full membership.

They said no, mainly on the basis of wanting to keep their important fishing rights intact.

I think the Norwegian people are belatedly unhappy, like so many others in EFTA. It's been many years since the people of any EFTA country have approved of their membership, surveys tend to show 4 to 1 against, so EFTA is even more unpopular than the EU. Their governments approve though.

My feeling is that many peoples worldwide are unhappy with the loss of personal control they perceive in the modern world and will complain whatever form their governance takes.

• Agree
Reactions: trex
I see that someone has put a brick through the office windows of Angela Eagle. Somehow I don't think it will be a Brexiter or a UKIP member. Must be someone from the saintly left wing!!!
Having family from Wallasey, I think I'm qualified to say this ;)

It was a window... in Wallasey... chances are its smashed 3 times a year anyway, this recent one was just a coincidence.

Reactions: gray198 and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I have considered making a personal tribute to the outgoing Prime Minister and have come up with something.

Thank you for looking after Larry the cat.
Even though you didn't like it.

And proving beyond doubt that the best education money can buy will not make a wise man out of a "Toff"

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
How amusing
"
The petition, which was set up by a Brexit supporter before the referendum was held, called for the Government to annul the results if the Remain or Leave vote won by less than 60 per cent on a turnout of less than 75 per cent.
The petiton was disowned by its original author, Leave activist William Oliver Healey, who said his opinions on the need for a high turnout and high level of support for one side had been “hijacked” by EU supporters.

More than 1,000 lawyers have signed a letter addressed to Prime Minister David Cameron saying the result of the referendum is merely "advisory" and not legally binding.

The lawyers add that the Government should organise an independent investigation into the costs and benefits of withdrawal before making plans to exit the bloc..

What a fabulously fatuous argument!
"The petiton was disowned by its original author, Leave activist William Oliver Healey, who said his opinions on the need for a high turnout and high level of support for one side had been “hijacked” by EU supporters."

Now why does he think that?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The 1000+ lawyers (including Geoffrey Robertson) are right, whilst government lawyers appear to be recklessly proposing a course of action that is fraught with risk. In particular, the fact that primary legislation is a prerequisite to invoking article 50 is indisputable. Use of the royal prerogative might set the article 50 process in motion but it will not repeal or substantially amend the European Communities Act 1972 and related legislation, that being a requirement for the proper implementation of a withdrawal from the EU. If article 50 is invoked and the clock begins to tick on withdrawal from the EU but the government is unable, further down the line, to secure the enactment of the required primary legislation in Parliament then the government will be faced with a situation, in around two years’ time, where the UK will have exited the EU but will still be required (under section 2 of the 1972 Act) to observe and implement EU law within the UK. How catastrophic a shambles would that be – to add to the farrago that the government has already landed us in.
I dont think any of us,Remainer or Brexit would want a situation that we were out of the EU but legally required to continue to abide by EU law.
Looks like the lawyers could make a fortune out of this.
KudosDave

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The pound is up, the stock market is riding high and Siemens have committed to more investment in the UK.

The goodness is starting to flow. BREXIT is our ambrosia.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
I'd also suggest that even you will have to admit that any statement from any politician currently can be taken with a very large pinch of salt, and currently seems to actually mean the exact opposite will happen.

We all know Brexit means Brexit, what else could it mean, that's a clear fact. It doesn't mean she'll enact Article 50 on Thursday morning, if she'd have wanted to do that, she'd have said that, wouldn't she?

It appears that currently you have to look at what they aren't saying, rather than what they are.
For once I completely agree with you, no one really expects honest politicians anymore, but, May has in effect really committed herself with her statements, and as she was already a euro sceptic but for political advantage chose loyalty to the party line, I believe she really understands Brexit means Brexit. Much to the dismay of many on this thread I think.

Article 50 is a sideshow and no good negotiator would ever advocate quick implementation of that, so all you remainers don't put too much hope on that as some secret signal, it's just the game
She is smart enough to not do what junker is desperate for, Ie start the clock and play by his rules. The clever negotiators, OG would call it blacmailers build power and influence and the game is over before some thought it had begun
Does anyone remember the coal strike and the long delays to start negotiations, by which time surprise surprise they had build up enough coal stocks that the strike was doomed before it began. Now don't get me wrong, I was not on the side of the government on that fight, but only to point out, wise up, negotiations are not just mouths on sticks, they are about the exercise of power and the build up of power. Do you really think we want to be negotiating through the change over of the German and French governments for example.
I have a feeling that May understands all of this and as some of you would say is a hard nosed bitch, just what we need at this juncture is my view

I have a freely that May understands all of this and as some of you would say is a hard nosed bitch, just what we need at this juncture is my view
True, and we just have to see which way she sticks that nose ;)

take us out, and loose the next general election because we'll be in recession and Labour will be a lot stronger by then...

or keep us in, and have 2 years to hope that the tory voters forgive her for forgetting about the referendum.

The main game for her now is keeping in power...

Interesting times indeed.

Reactions: derf and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The pound is up, the stock market is riding high and Siemens have committed to more investment in the UK.

The goodness is starting to flow. BREXIT is our ambrosia.
I'm afraid not Tillson, it's their ambrosia, not ours.

What we can look forward to is rather different, here's a taster:

Compensation for flight delays is not a UK measure, and lawyers expect that to die when we leave, the airlines already being very unwilling to pay out.

The EU has brought down the cost of using mobile phones in the EU, costs dropped sharply in June and from June 2017 texts and calls will cost no more than in the UK. Once we leave the providers will be free to raise them again.

The pound is likely to stay lower relative to dollars for a long time, and that will inevitably mean higher fuel prices.

Reactions: derf

Advertisers