Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
These are what Woosh should use.
View attachment 26150

I, ve got a pair and some of these.
Bringing stuff in from offshore might be a problem. Not good in chop. Even these are made in China.
I was actually rather more thinking of one of these:

Or perhaps a larger one.

https://www.sealegsrecreational.com/superyacht-tenders.html

Have to say, before about 11:30 this morning, I wouldn't have thought of one. But I saw a real one come up the beach, drive across to the slipway, up that, onto the road and along the seafront before disappearing from view.

Frighteningly expensive!

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
He (Minford) said:
“It could not be more open and shut who least wants a breakdown.
For the UK a breakdown would be a short term nuisance but a substantial economic gain. For the EU it is both a short term nuisance and a substantial economic loss.”

he is a bit economical with the truth, it will hurt both sides about as much.
In truth, he reveals the approximate size of the economic benefit of membership.
And on one side the hurt will be divided by 27, I much prefer 1/27th of the pain.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was actually rather more thinking of one of these:

Or perhaps a larger one.

https://www.sealegsrecreational.com/superyacht-tenders.html

Have to say, before about 11:30 this morning, I wouldn't have thought of one. But I saw a real one come up the beach, drive across to the slipway, up that, onto the road and along the seafront before disappearing to view.

Frighteningly expensive!
How many migrants can it hold? :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: flecc and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I'd guess the one I saw could take at least eight - properly seated. No idea the maximum possible.
You would be surprised at what a boat can carry, for instance this one

Sundowner was owned by C.h. Lightoller famed as the second officer of the Titanic.
"The retired Lightoller did not turn his back on sailing altogether, as he eventually purchased a private motor yacht, Sundowner. In 1940, he, together with his son Roger and a young Sea Scout named Gerald Ashcroft, crossed the English Channel in Sundowner to assist in the Dunkirk evacuation. In a boat licensed to carry 21 passengers, Lightoller and his crew brought back 127 servicemen.
His method for avoiding being sunk by enemy gunfire, steer for the last splash!

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
A lot of years ago I used to drive boat for Wake board competitions. The normal procedure was to put 500kg fat sack of water in back of boat and then load the thing up with youths as mobile ballast ..to give required big wake. I turned up late for an event and said youths had got boat ready complete with half ton sack of water and a couple of youths too many. Unfortunately boat was a diesel.. not the normal V8 petrol. I looked at boat and thought it was both dangerous and probably would not do job as required. TV was there, along with Red Bull reps, Wake board dignitaries etc etc. I offered my thoughts but was over ruled. Went out but it all got quite embarrassing. Boat wouldn't even plane had a top speed of probably 8 knots. We pulled a boarder through course to everybody's amusement. Not many tricks, loops or railies that day.
Funniest aspect was one of youths was ordering his mates out of boat one at a time at various spots around lake. We ended up with no youths.. No fat sack... Not much wake. Can't beat a big block yank engine for skiing behind, but not diesel.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Independent
"
How Australia's meat industry plans to flood post-Brexit Britain with products banned in EU
Exclusive: Campaigners and farmers concerned by removal of 'technical barriers' to trade with Australia that could cause influx of lower quality products

The [UK] market has continued to establish itself as a high-value market and is one that is protected by a number of barriers to trade,” explained Mr Larkin.
“Those barriers to trade are subsidies, tariffs and quota, and technical trade barriers in the form of HGP [hormonal growth promotant] bans and processing directives in terms of equivalence in processing sites.”
Growth hormones that have been banned in the EU since 1981 due to health concerns are used on about 40 percent of Australian cattle and have been in employed for more than three decades.
During a hearing of the Australian trade sub-committee at the end of 2017, Jason Strong, chair of the EU and UK Red Meat Industry Taskforce, said increased trade quotas with the UK would be an opportunity to export not only more high quality products but also those of the lowest quality.

The badness is flowing

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
From the Independent
"
How Australia's meat industry plans to flood post-Brexit Britain with products banned in EU
Exclusive: Campaigners and farmers concerned by removal of 'technical barriers' to trade with Australia that could cause influx of lower quality products

The [UK] market has continued to establish itself as a high-value market and is one that is protected by a number of barriers to trade,” explained Mr Larkin.
“Those barriers to trade are subsidies, tariffs and quota, and technical trade barriers in the form of HGP [hormonal growth promotant] bans and processing directives in terms of equivalence in processing sites.”
Growth hormones that have been banned in the EU since 1981 due to health concerns are used on about 40 percent of Australian cattle and have been in employed for more than three decades.
During a hearing of the Australian trade sub-committee at the end of 2017, Jason Strong, chair of the EU and UK Red Meat Industry Taskforce, said increased trade quotas with the UK would be an opportunity to export not only more high quality products but also those of the lowest quality.

The badness is flowing
Kangaroo burgers for me then. We could even bring in Crocodile sausages from Vietnam. Snap crackle and pop takes on a whole new meaning.
Dont knock it till you, ve tried it OG..
What about snake and pigmy pie ? Old ones are the best... But more chewy..
Let's just hope it's organised for next March, I, m sick of horse burgers snails and raw mince from France.

Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Kangaroo burgers for me then. We could even bring in Crocodile sausages from Vietnam. Snap crackle and pop takes on a whole new meaning.
Dont knock it till you, ve tried it OG..
What about snake and pigmy pie ? Old ones are the best... But more chewy..
Let's just hope it's organised for next March, I, m sick of horse burgers snails and raw mince from France.
Dont forget to post a list of the Hospital Visiting times:(

Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Express has run out of ideas and now is trying comedy
"
EU WILL LOSE: Brussels forcing UK towards no deal Brexit at HUGE ECONOMIC cost to EU
THE “LOSER” EU is on the verge of causing itself huge economic damage by forcing a “no deal” over Brexit which in turn could see Britain thrive. International trade secretary Liam Fox has said that a so-called “no deal” where Britain goes on to World Trade Organisation (WTO) terms instead is now the most likely outcome..

"
It baffled me how Fox can put this nonsense over as making the EU a loser.
Someone should remind him what they lose isn't really what matters, but what we lose is

And further down the print this reassuring piece
"
Brexit news latest: What to stockpile in case of a no deal Brexit?

WARNINGS of food shortages are causing panic in Britain as the possibility of a no deal Brexit grows. What should you stockpile in case of a no deal Brexit?

What should you stockpile in case of a no deal Brexit?
There are plenty of British made staples such as flour, oats, lentils, sugar, salt, vinegar and mustard.
However, the foods we’ve become so accustomed to from the EU will be harder to replicate.
Olive oil, pepper, pasta and rice are just a few items we get from EU countries that would need to be stored up should a no deal Brexit go ahead.
Any spices, chilli, anchovies or tomatoes (in tins or pastes) will also be needed for flavour.
Beans - Kidney, butter, black - chickpeas and tinned fish would have to be stockpiled too.

Does that mean the EU (being the losers) will be stockpiling food too?:D

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The Express has run out of ideas and now is trying comedy
"
EU WILL LOSE: Brussels forcing UK towards no deal Brexit at HUGE ECONOMIC cost to EU
THE “LOSER” EU is on the verge of causing itself huge economic damage by forcing a “no deal” over Brexit which in turn could see Britain thrive. International trade secretary Liam Fox has said that a so-called “no deal” where Britain goes on to World Trade Organisation (WTO) terms instead is now the most likely outcome..

"
It baffled me how Fox can put this nonsense over as making the EU a loser.
Someone should remind him what they lose isn't really what matters, but what we lose is

And further down the print this reassuring piece
"
Brexit news latest: What to stockpile in case of a no deal Brexit?

WARNINGS of food shortages are causing panic in Britain as the possibility of a no deal Brexit grows. What should you stockpile in case of a no deal Brexit?

What should you stockpile in case of a no deal Brexit?
There are plenty of British made staples such as flour, oats, lentils, sugar, salt, vinegar and mustard.
However, the foods we’ve become so accustomed to from the EU will be harder to replicate.
Olive oil, pepper, pasta and rice are just a few items we get from EU countries that would need to be stored up should a no deal Brexit go ahead.
Any spices, chilli, anchovies or tomatoes (in tins or pastes) will also be needed for flavour.
Beans - Kidney, butter, black - chickpeas and tinned fish would have to be stockpiled too.

Does that mean the EU (being the losers) will be stockpiling food too?:D
I'l stocking up on crisps and Wheetabix while the lorries can still bring them!

What are your lentils like? I know the Spanish and French ones. I thought that the beans in baked beans were grown in the UK? I did baked beans a while ago (from raw ingredients of course) certainly a bit tastier than from a can. Yes I did fried egg (Basque free range), rashers of Spanish bacon and some French pain de campagne toast! The whole nine yards as DT would say er tweet whatever it is he does...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Maybe Bright Food will open a new factory inside the EU?
For the crisps I will fall back to Spanish ones cooked in olive oil it's the weetabix I'm worried about.

In any case they will will go bankrupt when they can't export them to NZ after the court case... :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Sun have really gone over the top
"

COMMENT
TREVOR KAVANAGH

Corbyn has done us all a favour by coming out as a genuine lifelong racist

IT is remarkable how free politicians feel to lash out with the slur of ’racism’ whenever they are losing an argument - though Peter Mandelson chickened out of saying the word. So it is richly amusing to see Jeremy Corbyn publicly embraced by the Ku Klux Klan as a fellow Jew-hater.

How low can they get ?to use the death of a comedian who was apparently a nice guy to turn this into right wing propaganda?
This so called newspaper is a menace to society.
The first part is nearly correct, let's help with it.

IT is remarkable how free the Sun feels to lash out with the slur of ’racism’ whenever they are losing an argument in favour of Brexit

Surprisingly not all reader's comments are what the Sun wants..
"
topcat1 hour ago
This rag is funny, thats why i like it, just pure entertainment
The SUN, the most r.a.c.i.s.t newspaper in the country, with the majority of its readers plastering the comments section with r.a.c.i.s.t comments daily.
Supports the TORY Party, an institutionally r.a.c.i.s.t party, whose many members have left or been suspended for r.a.c.i.s.t comments
But the Tory Party dont want to even hold an investigation, because they know it will open a can of worms so big, there wont be any MPs left to govern them
The SUN, one minute promotes free speech but then disagrees when Corbyn says he does not like what the JEWS have done, but then rages about Muslims
what a joke this comic truly

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The worrying aspect about Corbyn is not to do with his opinions about Jews or whether he is racist or not. The bloke plainly is neither a racist or anti semitic in its accepted meaning.
His issue, and he does it over others, is the very fact he, s embroiled in all this lunacy.
Its always been the case with politicians that actions and words will be taken out of context and used against you. He, s walked straight into all this. He is naive. A naive idealist will never get into no 10. Not right, perhaps. But true enough.
He has done same with Brexit. He needs to be a politician in its wider sense, put his ideals on the back burner and get in no 10.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The worrying aspect about Corbyn is not to do with his opinions about Jews or whether he is racist or not. The bloke plainly is neither a racist or anti semitic in its accepted meaning.
His issue, and he does it over others, is the very fact he, s embroiled in all this lunacy.
Its always been the case with politicians that actions and words will be taken out of context and used against you. He, s walked straight into all this. He is naive. A naive idealist will never get into no 10. Not right, perhaps. But true enough.
He has done same with Brexit. He needs to be a politician in its wider sense, put his ideals on the back burner and get in no 10.
There we part company, as about the man I agree, but feel the worse possible decision anyone could make unless they have a Death Wish is to be Prime Minister after Brexit.
There are far more creative ways to commit suicide, such as being
"Rogered with a Rag Man's Rusty Trumpet"
Or for those with Japanese Samurai aspirations
"Seppuku committed with a Blunt spoon."

Reactions: robdon

Advertisers