Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it does if you want to make a political choice instead of a practical one.
Scots are practical people, Englishmen are proud people.
If you ask a leaver in England if he/she is worried about Scotland or NI leaving the UK because of brexit, I think we can guess their reply.
If you ask people in England if they are worried about Scotland or NI leaving the UK because of anything, I can guess their reply.

Polls a few years back showed they'd be happy about them being outside the Kingdom. It's one reason why the government quickly ruled out a national vote on Scotland's independence, since it would definitely have resulted in freedom for Scotland.

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suspect the Welsh might regret their vote and, as I have said before, I have added a vote for remain by moving here.
True, a poll has shown a big swing to Remain from their very marginal referendum Leave vote. Wales is now decidedly Remain, leaving only England in the UK wishing to Brexit.

Thinks, how about a coup? Scotland, Ireland and Wales banding together and throwing England out of the UK? ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is what a vote for Brexit really meant
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/18/rightwing-thinktanks-unveil-radical-plan-for-us-uk-brexit-trade-deal-nhs
A radical blueprint for a free trade deal between the UK and the US that would see the NHS opened to foreign competition, a bonfire of consumer and environmental regulations and freedom of movement between the two countries for workers, is to be launched by prominent Brexiters.

The blueprint will be seen as significant because of the close links between the organisations behind it and the UK secretary for international trade, Liam Fox, and the US president, Donald Trump.

Its publication follows a week of policy launches by the European Research Group of Conservative MPs designed to pressurise the prime minister into “chucking Chequers”, her softer Brexit proposal, in favour of a harder, clean break from the European Union.

In other words a bonfire of the NHS and workers rights, and far from cancelling free movement, restricting it to free movement with the USA.
So much for the joke "We knew what we were voting for"
I can just imagine before long UKIP changing sides, wanting freedom from American Domination and claiming
"Trump will want to solve his problem with illegal aliens by foisting them on us"
That's the UK as the 51st US state. So much for regaining control.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I liked that. :)

I tried to post an image of that in response to your post but something is going horribly wrong with images on this site - for me. I suspect it is the various ad-blocking and third-party blocking, etc., but images you post appear as
It's usually the source that locks the copyright image, so in this case perhaps pedelecs protecting its own.

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Another one gone thanks to an active local constituency party!

Angela Smith MP, representing Penistone & Stocksbridge constituents, has been kicked out. Attached is the 'VoxPolitical' story on that but it's worth noting the following about this woman from the 'Wikipedia' notes on her:

She is one of 98 MPs who voted unsuccessfully to keep their expense details secret in 2007. She defended her vote on the grounds that it would help member-constituent confidentiality, and to help prevent the private addresses of MP's being readily available to the public.[17]

In 2009, Smith was one of the MPs whose expenses were highlighted by The Daily Telegraph during the Parliamentary expenses scandal, as she had submitted expenses claims for four beds for a one bedroom flat in London.[18]

Smith employs her husband as her Senior Parliamentary Assistant on a salary up to £40,000.[19] She was listed in articles in the Daily Telegraph and Guardian criticising the practice of MPs employing family members, on the lines that it promotes nepotism.[20] [21] Although MPs who were first elected in 2017 have been banned from employing family members, the restriction is not retrospective - meaning that Smith's employment of her husband is lawful.[22]

Here's the link to the story on 'VoxPolitical':

another-labour-right-winger-has-lost-a-no-confidence-vote-here-are-the-facts-she-doesnt-want-you-to-know

Tom

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Anyone know if we will be able to put GB stickers on our cars on 29/03/2019 or will we have to wait until we finally leave leave?

Mind, I thought that GB stickers were entirely legal, just unnecessary within the EU.

(Amazing what promises have been made or implied. This was from last year - nothing new.)

TAKE BACK CAR-NTROL
Drivers WILL be able to return to having GB stickers on their vehicles after Brexit – and dump EU number plates

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2617642/drivers-will-be-able-to-return-to-having-gb-stickers-on-their-vehicles-after-brexit-and-dump-eu-number-plates/

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That's the UK as the 51st US state. So much for regaining control.
trump-god.jpg

Note: You can see both of his (tiny) hands so he is not grabbing her by the private parts But she still seems happy meeting Judas...

• :D
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
True, a poll has shown a big swing to Remain from their very marginal referendum Leave vote. Wales is now decidedly Remain, leaving only England in the UK wishing to Brexit.

Thinks, how about a coup? Scotland, Ireland and Wales banding together and throwing England out of the UK? ;)
That would create loads of employment opportunities rebuilding Hadrian's wall and Offa's Dyke!:)

Tom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
As I asked recently, just what would happen if the tories actually split? (Could call it TOXIC - TOries eXIt Conservative party?) The French understand the Cons.

She will split the party, say May’s Tory opponents

Ferocious opposition to the Brexit deal could lead to a lasting split among Conservatives and even a constitutional crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/18/polarising-brexit-could-split-tory-part-constitutional-crisis

It would be very interesting to see No-deal, May-deal and Remain party-formerly-known-as-Conservative-and-Unionist-Party candidates in every constituency.

Especially if Labour somehow managed all to pull in the same direction.

[Adding]

Irony moment. If tories did split, they might rue the day they refused to consider any form of transferable vote. At least then a tory candidate might have stood a chance.
I can see how a split in the Conservative Party is possible. I don't see how that creates a constitutional problem.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
That would create loads of employment opportunities rebuilding Hadrian's wall and Offa's Dyke!:)

Tom
That leaves a large chunk of land between Hadrian's Wall and the current Scottish border. I take it this would be ceded to Scotland, leaving even less room for the 60 million to perch on. I suppose it could be treated as a DMZ such as that splitting the Korean peninsula.

As for Offa's Dyke who is she?

wheeler

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Anyone know if we will be able to put GB stickers on our cars on 29/03/2019 or will we have to wait until we finally leave leave?

Mind, I thought that GB stickers were entirely legal, just unnecessary within the EU.

(Amazing what promises have been made or implied. This was from last year - nothing new.)

TAKE BACK CAR-NTROL
Drivers WILL be able to return to having GB stickers on their vehicles after Brexit – and dump EU number plates

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2617642/drivers-will-be-able-to-return-to-having-gb-stickers-on-their-vehicles-after-brexit-and-dump-eu-number-plates/
You can even have Man U stickers on your car in the EU ,we don't mind. I would assume that the number plate with all the stars on a blue background ,is the bit which would be redundent..
Could I patent a transparent sticker showing a red S t Georges cross on a transparent background for placing over the EU logo... ?. It would be highly indicative.
Here in Ireland,we have a way of recognising Northern Unionist cars from other NI cars. .. all NI cars have 4 digit numbers ,but only Unionists put NI stickers on the back.

• Informative

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland

TAKE BACK CAR-NTROL

That's more drivel from the Sun.

GB stickers have always been required when driving abroad.

If you have a number plate with GB in the EU flag you don't need a GB sticker when driving in the EU member countries.

If you have any of the other permitted country flags you must also have a GB sticker when driving abroad including the EU countries.

The addition of a country identifier is allowed under UK Number Plate Regulations but is not compulsory and remains the driver's choice.

wheeler

• Agree

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46250607

"Mr Raab, who negotiated for the UK with the EU's Michel Barnier, has been explaining his decision to quit on the BBC's Andrew Marr show.

With "two or three points" being changed he could support the government's proposals, he said.

He said he did not know who had inserted a clause on customs relations into the future partnership document but said it was a "clear breach" of the Conservative manifesto."

So the exBrexit Sec didn't read the doc before handing it over? - Is there a saboteur cum Gremlin lurking in Downing St that stitched him up...

Advertisers