Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I wonder if there will be a response?

My letter to Jeremy Corbyn: your nation is threatened – back a people’s vote

Gina Miller
Brexit is too dangerous to be used in a bid for power – Labour must help to prevent the UK becoming a laboratory for this rightwing experiment

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/26/letter-jeremy-corbyn-peoples-vote-brexit-labour-gina-miller
A letter like that would restore ones faith in the sanity of British people. I did make in one of my infrequent comment about UK Politicans, that I cannot and could not understand why an opposition would not oppose.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Now May's bestest friend Trump chimes in with doubts over UK-US future trade posibilities under May's Agreement - where's a Brexit Sec. / Trade Sec. when you need one.

Is this Trump's subtle way of hinting he'd prefer us to hard brexit so he can have us where he wants us - completely split from the EU herd, most vulnerable and ripe for the taking.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Slight typo.. if he was in West Berlin, he needed to use the concession road of 100 km through East German territory,to reach the border with West Germany. .. I did this journey once. You were timed,and were not allowed to leave the autobahn.
He travelled into East Berlin regularly - from West Berlin, where we lived.

Yes - we did the autobahn - timed and all - several times.

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I think borders sovereignty was a huge issue but ultimately people just want a trade deal with European countries. We didn’t want an army. A federation etc.
Ypu are making assumptions on the basis of what politicians have told you what you should want.
There is no evidence for what you suggest, it could easily have been that immigrtion was the biggest factor and the leave campaign have insisted that was the case, and issues like the EU wanting an army didn't make an impact.
This BBC page is more accurate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36574526
Farage makes immigration the defining issue
f they didn't quite bet the farm on the issue of immigration, Leave played what they knew was their trump card often and they played it successfully.

The issue fed into wider questions of national and cultural identity, which suited Leave's message - particularly to lower income voters.

The result suggested that concerns about levels of migration into the UK over the past 10 years, their impact on society, and what might happen in the next 20 years were more widely felt and ran even deeper than people had suspected.

Just as crucially, it suggested Leave's central argument that the UK cannot control the number of people coming into the country while remaining in the EU really hit home.

Turkey was a key weapon in Leave's armoury and, although claims that the UK would not be able to stop it entering the EU were firmly denied, there was enough uncertainty about this - a fact that the ongoing migrant crisis in Europe unquestionably fed into.

The language and imagery used by the Leave campaign came in for criticism and there were recurring tensions between the Conservative dominated official Leave movement, Nigel Farage's UKIP roadshow and the separate Leave.EU group.

But their various messages resonated and segued with their central proposition that a vote to leave was a once in a generation chance to take control and assert national sovereignty.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Sure.

The exit period will be extended as we come to an agreement over a trade deal that respects each members wishes including ours.
First of all that is optimistic in the extreme, and amounts to you admitting, since an average trade deal can take seven or eight years, we will be in transition that long.
Excellent idea, as we will have applied for re admission to the club before then, as the temptaion will be too great to leave.

Reactions: robdon and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
First of all that is optimistic in the extreme, and amounts to you admitting, since an average trade deal can take seven or eight years, we will be in transition that long.
Excellent idea, as we will have applied for re admission to the club before then, as the temptaion will be too great to leave.
it won't take that long.
EU immigration seems to have come off the boil now that TM's deal delivers on it, making EFTA membership an achievable compromise.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Fancy a trade deal for cheap food from the US?
James O'Brien Explains What Adopting US Food Standards Would Mean For The UK
James O'Brien Explains What Adopting US Food Standards Would Mean For The UK
""That would have looked great on the side of a bus, wouldn't it? We send £350m a week to the EU, why can't we eat one to two pounds of flies, maggots of mites each year instead."
Dead link...

Look what happens when you sit around eating fried food and drinking beer all day:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/the-most-obese-fattest-countries-in-the-world/

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Are you suggesting that the majority of leave voters gave a high priority to trade?
I find that surprising, but perhaps you can indicate what makes that a likely scenario?
It does indeed motivate politicians, but the public? are there any polls to indicate this is true?
Ease up OG! That sounds as if you're asking an internet troll to provide facts. Oh, hang on……….

Tom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yeah, there’s quite a lot different emojis we could use on here.

Try and keep it civil though eh?

And try and read and comprehend what I am saying before you post insults like the chuckle brothers do.
I was being civil, my real deep down opinion of what you wrote above has no place here... Let's take it apart shall we?

It does seem to me that dealing with Juncker/Barnier direct isn’t going to work. We need to know what aspects other countries want over a larger, more broad stroke type of agreement such as EU citizen rights, security, movement etc.

J-C Juncker is President of the European Commission - The President of the Commission leads a cabinet of Commissioners, referred to as the college, collectively accountable to the European Parliament, which is directly elected by EU citizens.

The President of the Commission also represents the EU abroad, together with the President of the European Council and the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.

The UK isn't dealing directly with him but he is the spokesperson for the EU

M Barnier is the head negotiator for the EU. He is the only person the UK can talk to in the negotiations because he represents the EU which is a group of countries. He doesn't have the final word - the chiefs of state of 27 countries do. He has to report back to them before agreeing to anything.

The chiefs of state for the 27 countries got together quite some time ago and decided on a position with regards to brexit. You know what these countries want because the spokesmen they have chosen have given them to you! Months and months ago!

If you don't understand these basic facts maybe you should read up some more? I have no doubt you could understand these basic facts if you made the effort to do so...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Dead Link now corrected I hope!
Reading the comments section it seems like you have real issues! But then attacking people on a personal level is much easier than attacking their ideas let alone attacking the facts...

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Reading the comments section it seems like you have real issues! But then attacking people on a personal level is much easier than attacking their ideas let alone attacking the facts...
Not quite with you on this....do you mean at the public response level?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
f they didn't quite bet the farm on the issue of immigration, Leave played what they knew was their trump card often and they played it successfully.
I watched the debate in the HoC yesterday. MPs were queing to rubbish TM's deal.
by dismissing her deal, leaver MPs do a far better job at demolishing the reasons for which people voted for brexit than those remain MPs opposing her deal. The brexiteers will soon realise that attacking her deal does not pay next time people are asked to vote. Already, nobody believes that new deals with WTO countries are easy anymore. Soon, immigration won't even be seen as a good reason to leave.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I think it will take as long as it needs tbh. If we get it right the first time then that will save time.

It does seem to me that dealing with Juncker/Barnier direct isn’t going to work. We need to know what aspects other countries want over a larger, more broad stroke type of agreement such as EU citizen rights, security, movement etc.

That’s where May has gone wrong. She honestly thought that Brexit meant immigration. We are an open country except not to illegal or immigration that gives migrants more rights than folk who have lived here for generations.

A lot of papers thought that but not as many voters thought that. This was always about trade.
Why are you using the present and future tenses for something which is now past tense?. The withdrawal agreement exists, it is now history. The only game left is whether the UK Parliament accepts or rejects it. A few days AFTER the referendum,the EU leadership,who were stunned by the decision, made an internal decision that they would act as one.,for the purposes of the withdrawal agreement. ,So it was always going to be Barnier . The UK attempted on a number of occasions to fracture that unity..
In starting the talks about future trade deals, the individual EU countries do have different wants and desires, so the process is going to be tortured. If the UK accepts the agreement that has been agreed, they do have an indefinite period of time to remain close to the EU ,and perhaps ,(forlorn hope as it maybe), come to their senses. ,and seek to reapply for full membership.
The logic of your position is strained with the comment." This was always about trade". If it were then why would the UK have tried to turn it's back on its most lucrative market?. What Mrs Mays current dilemma is to finally recognise this and marry it to the " taking back of our borders and making our own laws " narrative.

Advertisers