Brexit, for once some facts.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
When was the idea to have an EU army born? Quite recently when a certain Trump threw a spanner in the works menacing to pull out of NATO. It was after the brexit vote so your comment about an army is irrelevant here. This is the brexit facts thread...

I'll decide what's relevant.

But thanks for the input. Try and keep it civil though please.

• Dislike
Reactions: oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Excellent! One of the great scenes from one of the best comedies Hollywood ever produced. For me, 'The Great Race' is one of the outstanding movies of all time. I have watched it three times in English and once in Spanish and it is equally funny in each language. I suspect the film would be funny in any language. I know it's a little View attachment 27909 but it's in the spirit of ridiculous humour, just like 'Brexit'!

Tom
OH! my mistake.......I was convinced it was a genuine documentary, after all I could see each individual politician there..............;)

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
When was the idea to have an EU army born? Quite recently when a certain Trump threw a spanner in the works menacing to pull out of NATO. It was after the brexit vote so your comment about an army is irrelevant here. This is the brexit facts thread...
Well to be fair, there were mutterings of such for years,..and mutterings they would have remained, until a certain fair haired boyo who seems to think that costs and values are the same coin, started .

Reactions: robdon

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
David Davis made the same mistake,if we leave on March 29 without a deal there is no transition deal.
KudosDave

Indeed. It won't be a transition period per se. It will be a negotiation period but we will keep to the current deal so as not to damage business and people's lives.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Well to be fair, there were mutterings of such for years,..and mutterings they would have remained, until a certain fair haired boyo who seems to think that costs and values are the same coin, started .

It was mentioned during the campaign but it's a pointless argument to the true believers or antis.

They only hear what they want to hear.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Er no, you won't decide what's relevant ,you will decide what is relevant to you, that's all and since the question wasn't a factor discussed in the public arena at the time of the referendum
I posted this earler
"You are making assumptions on the basis of what politicians have told you what you should want.
There is no evidence for what you suggest, it could easily have been that immigration was the biggest factor and the leave campaign have insisted that was the case, and issues like the EU wanting an army didn't make an impact.
This BBC page is more accurate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36574526
Farage makes immigration the defining issue
f they didn't quite bet the farm on the issue of immigration, Leave played what they knew was their trump card often and they played it successfully."

The question of an EU army isn't even mentioned in the BBC report a single time.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Without going over the same arguments over and over again. I disagree that anything is set in stone. You don't.

By trade I mean that's what we see the EU as. A trading block. Not a means to build an army etc.
Not everything is set in stone. But you can take it that the EU has finished with the withdrawal agreement. How the UK Parliament responds is up to the UK.

There are 3 months between January and March..that is written in stone.
Unless the UK seeks an extension,it cannot happen. Indeed it needs unanimous consent of 27 other leaders for a continuation. That also is written in stone.
Whether the UK can recind their letter of 18 months ago, is no longer written in stone,as it is with the EU ECJ.

• Agree
  • Useful

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

"Irrelevant" is not un-civil, it is a fact:

brexit referendum - 2016
Trump president - 2017
Trump NATO threat - 2018

Since then (July 2018) the idea of an EU defence force has become a mainstream topic in the EU. It can't have played any part in deciding a brexit voter because it was not a thing or even a current topic back then in 2016.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
During the Balkin war
During the Crimea crisis
Went beyond mutterings in 2018

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"Irrelevant" is not un-civil, it is a fact:

brexit referendum - 2016
Trump president - 2017
Trump NATO threat - 2018

Since then (July 2018) the idea of an EU defence force has become a mainstream topic in the EU. It can't have played any part in deciding a brexit voter because it was not a thing or even a current topic back then in 2016.
Absolutely true, someone has been spreading duff information in the hope remain voters have memories as defective as leave voters do :cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was mentioned during the campaign
It can't have played any part in deciding a brexit voter because it was not a thing or even a current topic back then in 2016.
The EU having a European Army was originally seriously raised by Jean-Claude Juncker in March 2015, as a way of deterring Russian aggression. That was long before the referendum campaign of course.

Information link

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The EU having a European Army was originally seriously raised by Jean-Claude Juncker in March 2015, as a way of deterring Russian aggression. That was long before the referendum campaign of course.

Information link
But not a factor raised as an issue during the referendum campaign as Turkey applying for membership was offered as a bigger red herring.

• Agree

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Er no, you won't decide what's relevant ,you will decide what is relevant to you, that's all and since the question wasn't a factor discussed in the public arena at the time of the referendum
I posted this earler
"You are making assumptions on the basis of what politicians have told you what you should want.
There is no evidence for what you suggest, it could easily have been that immigration was the biggest factor and the leave campaign have insisted that was the case, and issues like the EU wanting an army didn't make an impact.
This BBC page is more accurate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36574526
Farage makes immigration the defining issue
f they didn't quite bet the farm on the issue of immigration, Leave played what they knew was their trump card often and they played it successfully."

The question of an EU army isn't even mentioned in the BBC report a single time.
Yes the Calais refugee camp was in full swing and featuring heavily in the news in the lead up to the referendum as much as NF doing his UKIP stint. And those intent are still coming and will be coming come what may - as I suspect they have a smidgen of English language rather than any other European language.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46296249

"...Border Force needed more resources, including investment in additional patrol boats to act as a deterrent."

Possibility of an EU army is more likely everyday while Trump is US President - pushing an isolationist policy, while looking more at confrontation with China, and hinting that Europe will be on its own vs. Putin/Russia and ripping up treaties will nilly - so no guarantee or trust that he'd honour NATO commitments and at worst would drag NATO into a war of American making / serving predominantly American interests.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But not a factor raised as an issue during the referendum campaign as Turkey applying for membership was offered a bigger red herring.
I've no idea if an official campaigner mentioned it, but it was definitely mentioned at times during the campaign in the media and by Leavers..

Also by you 20 days before the referendum with this:

"The most outrageous recent claim from the Brexit side was that Europe was intent of having a European Army, and we should have nothing to do with it."

in this post.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I've no idea if an official campaigner mentioned it, but it was definitely mentioned at times during the campaign in the media and by Leavers..

Also by you 20 days before the referendum with this:

"The most outrageous recent claim from the Brexit side was that Europe was intent of having a European Army, and we should have nothing to do with it."

in this post.

You are nothing but fair flecc.

We may disagree on Brexit but you are fair.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Advertisers