Brexit, for once some facts.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Where is yours which proves that BREXIT is anti-immigration?

Yes, I thought so.
nobody knows what brexit means. As you are the most coherent brexiter on the forum, so I asked you.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
nobody knows what brexit means. As you are the most coherent brexiter on the forum, so I asked you.
Hey, woosh man, who is you calling incoherent?

• :D
Reactions: flecc and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
not you of course. Do you have a view on meaning of brexit?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
not you of course. Do you have a view on meaning of brexit?
Coherent hat on.

I'm finding it increasingly hard to get vexed about it one way or the other.

The impact has been way over-stated on here in dozens of histrionic posts based, of course, on absolutely nothing.

One above this one is on about Brexiters 'hunting down immigrants' - have we got people living in the wild now?

Am I likely to find Stig of the Dump on my next ride?

How anyone can take dross like that seriously is beyond me.

Back to Brexit, there are so many other influences that will come into play, by the time we are out and a few years have passed it won't be possible to accurately assess whether it was a good idea or not.

If the country is in a mess, remainers will blame Brexit, leavers will say the mess would have been worse if we'd stayed in.

If the country is in fine fettle, leavers will credit Brexit, remainers will say we'd have been in an even better position if we'd stayed in.

The EU is no more than a short-lived treaty organisation which might not survive for much longer.

So in a few years, Brexit may not mean very much at all.

Coherent hat on.

I'm finding it increasingly hard to get vexed about it one way or the other.

The impact has been way over-stated on here in dozens of histrionic posts based, of course, on absolutely nothing.

One above this one is on about Brexiters 'hunting down immigrants' - have we got people living in the wild now?

Am I likely to find Stig of the Dump on my next ride?

How anyone can take dross like that seriously is beyond me.

Back to Brexit, there are so many other influences that will come into play, by the time we are out and a few years have passed it won't be possible to accurately assess whether it was a good idea or not.

If the country is in a mess, remainers will blame Brexit, leavers will say the mess would have been worse if we'd stayed in.

If the country is in fine fettle, leavers will credit Brexit, remainers will say we'd have been in an even better position if we'd stayed in.

The EU is no more than a short-lived treaty organisation which might not survive for much longer.

lots of good words, but the question was clear... what do you think Brexit is?

Leave the EU, stay in the single market? controls on immigration? etc etc. "Brexit means Brexit" but what does it mean?

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I can confirm FreeGo's increase was because of the weak £, we have just announced the same on Wisper bikes. I imagine you Dave will need to go the same way when your $ stock runs out. Raleigh, Cube, Riese and Muller bikes have already increased prices.

We are experiencing a microcosm of what's going to happen to prices on all imported goods, which in turn will drag up the prices of all goods made in the UK. As I have said before all Brexit has done so far (apart from being acutely embarrassing when taking to suppliers!) is to effectively reduce everyone's pensions and wages by about 10%. The up-side to Brexit needs to be very good if it ever comes.

Let's hope sanity will prevail and we actually let our democratically chosen MPs make the correct decision for us. That, after all, is what we voted them in for, to make complicated decisions on our behalf.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very true, peoples memories are short and so much will have happened meanwhile this issue won't be in their minds.

I believe it will last in this increasingly unstable and problematic world. Uncertainty breeds fear and that inclines hanging on to what one has and knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Let's hope sanity will prevail and we actually let our democratically chosen MPs make the correct decision for us. That, after all, is what we voted them in for, to make complicated decisions on our behalf.
Why did you not mention a word about this pre-vote?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, that I can easily agree with, whichever brexit we'll have.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

I view the EU as being a train heading at full speed into a cliff face. When it hits, there is going to be an almighty bang the likes of which many of us have never seen before with multiple casualties many of which will be fatal. This metaphoric bang is the collapse of the Euro when the basket case four (Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy) inevitably go bust. The reverberation to the bang will occur when the EU runs out of bricks to put on the lid off the migration crisis. This will result in a secondary explosion when the lid blows off, scolding those close by. The engine driver is Junker, Merkel is the brick layer. All of the other EU lunatics are their highly paid labourers and stokers.

We in the UK, and the rest of the EU citizens, are the passengers on the train and we are all screaming, "put the effing brakes on." Meanwhile, the engine driver is sneering at us and holding meeting after meeting to decide what colour the brake handle should be painted in order to cause least offence to a person who may or may not exist. Merkel, the bricklayer is asking for more hod carriers. All the time we hurtle towards the impact and the pressure is rising.

We know pain is coming, we either take our chances on surviving the train wreck, or we jump off the train and risk serious injury or death in the fall. Whatever we do it's going to hurt. We can see the danger signs, rocks, concrete posts & tree stumps, anyone of these things could kill us, but we have to decided if the risk of jumping is better than waiting for the train crash.

The UK passengers have decided to jump. We may land in a mattress factory or we may land on shards of broken glass, slide along them and then drown in a lake of TCP. The train might hit the cliff face or it may stop before impact, no one knows, not even old groaner. If it stops, will we be allowed back on board? No one knows. If it crashes, will we be hit by debris? No one knows.

I view BREXIT as an unwelcome choice, we have to choose one source of pain or the other source of pain, there is no comfortable alternative. My personal view is that I stand a better chance of survival by jumping. Others I know would rather take their chances aboard the train, but the decision has been taken to jump and we must now do it.

I view the EU as being a train heading at full speed into a cliff face. When it hits, there is going to be an almighty bang the likes of which many of us have never seen before with multiple casualties many of which will be fatal. This metaphoric bang is the collapse of the Euro when the basket case four (Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy) inevitably go bust. The reverberation to the bang will occur when the EU runs out of bricks to put on the lid off the migration crisis. This will result in a secondary explosion when the lid blows off, scolding those close by. The engine driver is Junker, Merkel is the brick layer. All of the other EU lunatics are their highly paid labourers and stokers.

We in the UK, and the rest of the EU citizens, are the passengers on the train and we are all screaming, "put the effing brakes on." Meanwhile, the engine driver is sneering at us and holding meeting after meeting to decide what colour the brake handle should be painted in order to cause least offence to a person who may or may not exist. Merkel, the bricklayer is asking for more hod carriers. All the time we hurtle towards the impact and the pressure is rising.

We know pain is coming, we either take our chances on surviving the train wreck, or we jump off the train and risk serious injury or death in the fall. Whatever we do it's going to hurt. We can see the danger signs, rocks, concrete posts & tree stumps, anyone of these things could kill us, but we have to decided if the risk of jumping is better than waiting for the train crash.

The UK passengers have decided to jump. We may land in a mattress factory or we may land on shards of broken glass, slide along them and then drown in a lake of TCP. The train might hit the cliff face or it may stop before impact, no one knows, not even old groaner. If it stops, will we be allowed back on board? No one knows. If it crashes, will we be hit by debris? No one knows.

I view BREXIT as an unwelcome choice, we have to choose one source of pain or the other source of pain, there is no comfortable alternative. My personal view is that I stand a better chance of survival by jumping. Others I know would rather take their chances aboard the train, but the decision has been taken to jump and we must now do it.
More words about what you see are the problems, and your solution is to jump. But the questions was / is... Jump where?

So please explain where you'd like to jump to. What do you see as Brexit meaning. What relationship would you like to see us having with the EU moving forwards.

No one in power seem to have a clue, so it would be interesting to see what the pro Brexit people think on here.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
More words about what you see are the problems, and your solution is to jump. But the questions was / is... Jump where?

So please explain where you'd like to jump to.
I'd like to jump on to a nice, soft, grassy embankment and roll down it into a field of golden corn.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Why did you not mention a word about this pre-vote?
Hi Tilson, I did.

I have always argued that holding a referendum on something so complicated and important was not a great idea. We vote in representatives to undertake these complicated tasks on our behalf. Would we offer a referendum on fiscal policy?

The battle was typically fought on simple sound bites, most of which were nonsense or in the worse cases outright lies. The Brexit politicians successfully appealed to the most basic instincts of the LCD voter, the NHS, immigration and "lets make Britain great again", harking back to some misunderstood "good old days" vision of a Britain that actually never existed.

I still don't understand why we voted out, no one has been able to explain it to me.

All the best, David

Reactions: robdon

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

So please explain where you'd like to jump to. What do you see as Brexit meaning. What relationship would you like to see us having with the EU moving forwards.

No one in power seem to have a clue, so it would be interesting to see what the pro Brexit people think on here.

I have as much an idea about where we are going to land as you have about where the EU train is taking us to. You may think you know the answers, but you don't, you do not have any clue. You may insinuate that the jumpers are poorly educated, ill informed racists, but you will be wrong about that too. All that does is simply illustrate your poor judgement. I'll grant you that you know where the train has been and that the ride was ok, but you don't know what's coming further down the line. I think the EU train took the wrong turn at the last set of points and now its heading for 20 billion tonnes of granite.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

as fictional creative writing that's quite vivid, as an analysis of facts, I'm afraid not. At least when remainers state what they think they usually refer to some transient statistics like the pound euro exchange rate (which may not concern brexit voters much, I know, but have indirectly caused a superfookingmassive black hole in the middle of all your pensions via the necessary adjustment in fiscal policy from the BoE). If any of you make it to retirement you are very likely to find yourself in a very similar position to ex employees of Philip Green as a result. The Eurozone isn't doing great, but its not in recession. the uk was doing pretty bloody well before brexit. Now according to Barclays it is heading for serious recession (google it, I'm afraid I cant from this phone). These are facts. No offence, but all I take from brexit posts about trains, grassy embankments, bricks and granite is that you have and had overactive imaginations and a problem with acknowledging the real world of facts.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
as fictional creative writing that's quite vivid, as an analysis of facts, I'm afraid not. At least when remainers state what they think they usually refer to some transient statistics like the pound euro exchange rate (which may not concern brexit voters much, I know, but have indirectly caused a superfookingmassive black hole in the middle of all your pensions via the necessary adjustment in fiscal policy from the BoE). If any of you make it to retirement you are very likely to find yourself in a very similar position to ex employees of Philip Green as a result. The Eurozone isn't doing great, but its not in recession. the uk was doing pretty bloody well before brexit. Now according to Barclays it is heading for serious recession (google it, I'm afraid I cant from this phone). These are facts. No offence, but all I take from brexit posts about trains, grassy embankments, bricks and granite is that you have and had overactive imaginations and a problem with acknowledging the real world of facts.

You see, all you know is what it was like in the past. You, me, ktm & old groaner, we don't know for sure which is best, in or out. All we can do is choose what we as an individual think is best.

Anyway, why are you bothered, I thought you were now residing in the land of garlic and cheese.

Last edited:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
You see, all you know is what it was like in the past. Look forwards & see the dangers.

Anyway, why are you bothered, I thought you were now residing in the land of garlic and cheese.
ah, a brexiter returning to his favourite topic, immigrants. and telling them to get lost. contrary to popular brexit belief, the uk is in fact, economically, not an island. But I am talking to someone who looks at the change in the pound euro exchange rate over the past three months and predicts an EU collapse. My answer would have been "why aren't you bothered?". But I've made peace with the fact that the saucepan isn't hot enough yet (and I've got some property back in London, so I have stake in it all).

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I view the EU as being a train heading at full speed into a cliff face. When it hits, there is going to be an almighty bang the likes of which many of us have never seen before with multiple casualties many of which will be fatal. This metaphoric bang is the collapse of the Euro when the basket case four (Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy) inevitably go bust.
I think the EU principals sense of self preservation will avoid this, as usual in their own self interests of course.

For the moment they are hanging on in the hope of a turn around, but when the crunch nears they will be likely to choose the two level euro option. That would enable them to keep their jobs, their international status and their dreams alive.

It's convenient for them that the basket cases are grouped in the south, making a two level Europe seem quite logical.

Reactions: robdon and trex

Advertisers