Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I would't think we'll get no deal brexit.
There will be more support for TM's deal at the second round of vote before end of January.
I thought that but I think it will be no deal now.. Cant see May convincing enough now. Surprises me remainers havent rallied behind Mays deal... Its more stay than leave...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And if the EU don't agree with my dumb but sensible and reasonable ideas I'd walk.
So you agree there still wouldn't be deal with your ideas not accepted, so my comments were not narrow minded, just stating the inevitable. You are the one wearing the blinkers, always refusing to recognise the facts of the situation. The EU doesn't have to accept anything, they have always held all the cards in the position of strength.

This is all pointless though since we won't be leaving without a deal. The odds are roughly 70% on May's deal being accepted, 30% on either delaying article 50 or holding a new referendum, with May's Deal or Remain on the paper.

The ERG and other ardent leavers are terrified of a new referendum, and that is why they are likely to sign up to May's deal little changed from the present.

Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Wonder how many remainers would take Hargreaves up on his wager.. He offered his 3 billion up saying in event of no deal EU would capitulate to keep accesss to our consumers..
Would you bet against Hargreaves Flecc...?
Hero worship is very touching, but the majority of us outgrow it in our 20s

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Hero worship is very touching, but the majority of us outgrow it in our 20s
Yep, but I, m still young at heart,not sure PH is my hero, perhaps Pogba or Rashford at moment.

Flecc
Not sure EU do hold all the cards. I think they are fighting for their very survival. If UK comes out, does well and economy grows how long before France (and others) want same.
We have convinced ourselves we dont hold any aces listening to project fear and its echo on here. German economy, inspite of all your saying otherwise, needs a good deal probably more so than us.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tommie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc
Not sure EU do hold all the cards. I think they are fighting for their very survival. If UK comes out, does well and economy grows how long before France (and others) want same.
We have convinced ourselves we dont hold any aces listening to project fear and its echo on here. German economy, inspite of all your saying otherwise, needs a good deal probably more so than us.
That is completely delusional. The EU is a world trading power which sets rules and it commands respect worldwide from countries who value it above almost all other markets.

To say Germany needs a deal more than us is beyond delusional into lunatic. With total removal of trade between us and the EU they lose 7% of their exports which we know they can afford, while we lose 50% which would cripple us.

These are facts, not silly mutterings about project fear.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Wicky

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I’d keep it simple.

Trade deal not unlike what we have now. Works for both of us. Why change it? I’d have free movement of people but the difference would be that you can’t claim benefits the minute you get off the plane.

EU citizens would be able to work here no problem but the employer would need a work visa. I’d make it straightforward enough but the employer would have to pay a skills tax which would be ploughed back into training and education for UK students and jobseekers.

Security would be a as tight and close as they want. I’m guessing they want it close and tight.

Shared arts and science programs.

Sensible stuff. A new bespoke deal, just for us.
in principle, i can see where you're coming from: we all - or at least those of us natives who aren't cheats - prefer to live in some sort of quid pro quo reality of give and take
given that (and that morality is loosely about treating others as one wants to be treated): can you imagine how outraged you'd feel as a spaniard reading your post? in a country (spain) overrun by british retirees who do sod all other than hanging pout in irish theme pubs and sneering; or uk croiminals hdiing out in the costa del sol.
this is, with respect, the problem with levers attitude - and that of teh uk over th eyears in its relationship with the eu: all it ever wants to do is take and have everything on its one sided terms. i would entirely understand if the eu is very glad to see the back of us. we are like some nasty narcisistic infant in desperate need of a spanking

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That is completely delusional. The EU is a world trading power which sets rules and it commands respect worldwide from countries who value it above almost all other markets.

To say Germany needs a deal more than us is beyond delusional into lunatic. With total removal of trade between us and the EU they lose 7% of their exports which we know they can afford, while we lose 50% which would cripple us.

These are facts, not silly mutterings about project fear.
https://www.ft.com/content/c06b1762-761d-11e8-b326-75a27d27ea5f
Financial times has got it all wrong then flecc.

Screenshot_20190101-151750.jpgScreenshot_20190101-151759.jpgScreenshot_20190101-151823.jpg

Last edited:

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
wow.

And thats the FT. The most remain paper in the world.

It's so remain it makes Flecc and Groaner look like Mogg

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
in principle, i can see where you're coming from: we all - or at least those of us natives who aren't cheats - prefer to live in some sort of quid pro quo reality of give and take
given that (and that morality is loosely about treating others as one wants to be treated): can you imagine how outraged you'd feel as a spaniard reading your post? in a country (spain) overrun by british retirees who do sod all other than hanging pout in irish theme pubs and sneering; or uk croiminals hdiing out in the costa del sol.
this is, with respect, the problem with levers attitude - and that of teh uk over th eyears in its relationship with the eu: all it ever wants to do is take and have everything on its one sided terms. i would entirely understand if the eu is very glad to see the back of us. we are like some nasty narcisistic infant in desperate need of a spanking

Yeah. My problem with that is the hate and contempt you have for our citizens. It's reverse racism.

I can't be bothered to go into anymore.

It saddens me how down trodden and hateful some leavers are though.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Yeah. My problem with that is the hate and contempt you have for our citizens. It's reverse racism.

I can't be bothered to go into anymore.

It saddens me how down trodden and hateful some leavers are though.
my problem with that is that you play the racism card when you are unable to argue your point.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, they haven't got the known part wrong, I've already quoted the financial side of that when I quoted the 7% loss of all exports that Germany would suffer. Quoting numbers of cars is just silly and meaningless, they are only a part of Germany's exporting. It's only the overall financial effect that matters and for their 7% loss, we suffer 50% which you've ignored once again.

I haven't taken into account what the FT says about what Trump may do since that is just supposition.

The last part is true of course, that the interests of the EU and UK are more aligned now. It's why we should remain.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
No, they haven't got the known part wrong, I've already quoted the financial side of that when I quoted the 7% loss that Germany would suffer. Quoting numbers of cars is just silly and meaningless, it's only the financial effect that matters and for their 7% loss, we suffer 50% which you've ignored once again.

I haven't taken into account what the FT says about what Trump may do since that is just supposition.
No, I have not ignored it at all. I, m saying both sides stand to lose. The German car industry would be far harder hit than any 7%. I dont think you read the report.
https://www.thelocal.de/20181011/horror-scenario-how-brexit-could-affect-germany

You dont need to register with FT for this one. Saying similar.

The EU are putting political agendas before economic prosperity if its members. Thats plain for all to see. Post "no deal" some if those 27 countries would have to act unilaterally. Yes, the decisionto force a no deal is made by 27 nembers but the majority of any damage (85%) would be felt by only 5..And out of those 5 Germany would absorb 40% of that cost,yet would remain the EU, s largest contributor.
Its inevitable some of those countries would strike deals with UK to avoid hardship bot felt by other EU menbers. This has bren crux of Hargreaves argument since day one.
FT are sinply pointing out other difficulties VAG are facing. (diesel scandal has affected sales in USA and led to massive costs not felt in EU, the point the raise is after posting profit warnings already could they cope with no deal and then Trunp's trade war.
Our negotiations should look at all this. They do not have such a goid hand as assumed and its all speculation. Every bit of it. Nobody really knows what will happen.

Comment from head of McLaren cars about no deal with regards our car industry..
IMG_20190101_163024.jpg

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, I have not ignored it at all. I, m saying both sides stand to lose. The German car industry would be far harder hit than any 7%. I dont think you read the report.
Germany's loss of their worldwide exports will be 7% if they lose the proportion going to the UK, fact. It's easily checked.

That silly article was only about cars, Germany's worldwide exports cover a vast range of products.

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
my problem with that is that you play the racism card when you are unable to argue your point.

It's not a card when it's right.

You portraying English abroad as criminals or drunks drinking in Irish theme pubs is a tired, lazy stereotype and if you turned it round and used the same pastiche towards another country then you might get my drift.

There is no point to argue. Just try not to do it again.

There's a good chap. It makes you come across as a little bit thick and I'm sure you're not.

• Disagree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Germany's loss of their worldwide exports will be 7% if they lose the proportion going to the UK, fact. It's easily checked.

That silly article was only about cars, Germany's worldwide exports cover a vast range of products.

It's silly cos it's true!!!

lol. Floundering Flecc can give facts but can't take them.

We could decimate the German car industry. In fact more than decimate if you look at the numbers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We could decimate the German car industry. In fact more than decimate if you look at the numbers.
They would of course suffer, but they can take it as they proved in the 2008 recession when they lost 8% of all their exports. That is why Angela Merkel was able to confidently say in 2016 that Germany could cope with the total loss of their 7% UK business.

You see I deal with all the facts, not cherry picking samples that suit.

Coming now to possibilities, Germany could of course also take back the car production they have here that benefits the UK, Mini, Rolls Royce, Bentley. In fact BMW are already investigating moving Mini production to The Netherlands and are shutting down production at Oxford for a month from March 29th due to Brexit.

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
They would of course suffer, but they can take it as they proved in the 2008 recession when they lost 8% of all their exports. That is why Angela Merkel was able to confidently say in 2016 that Germany could cope with the total loss of their 7% UK business.

You see I deal with all the facts, not cherry picking samples that suit.

Coming now to possibilities, Germany could of course also take back the car production they have here that benefits the UK, Mini, Rolls Royce, Bentley. In fact BMW are already investigating moving Mini production to The Netherlands and are shutting down production at Oxford for a month from March 29th due to Brexit.

Anything can happen for sure.

I thought they were shutting down to refit with electric car making equipment.

There are s of changes ahead in the car business. Petrol and diesel cars are last century technology. Hopefully we can get a slice of the electric pie.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
lol!

You are so brainwashed.

We can do what we want once we leave the cabal.

And if the EU don't agree with my dumb but sensible and reasonable ideas I'd walk. Seriously dude. You are so narrow minded.
You need new material. This arrogant type of response is, like you,completely unconvincing.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Anything can happen for sure.

I thought they were shutting down to refit with electric car making equipment.

There are s of changes ahead in the car business. Petrol and diesel cars are last century technology. Hopefully we can get a slice of the electric pie.
Hopefully is hardly a a pragmatic way to run a country is it?
Why don't you Brexit people grow up?

• Agree

Advertisers