Brexit, for once some facts.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am only saying it's not far fetched. The EU started by saying they won't start negotiating before the big 50, no back room chitchat. But now they seem to come to term that it's useful to sound out where compromise may be possible.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Such a clever man
"
Brexit Secretary David Davis says UK wants free access to EU single market
Prime Minister Theresa May has also said the UK wants curbs on migration as part of any deal

Which part of NO does he fail to understand? Unless of course this is just a joke.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I am only saying it's not far fetched. The EU started by saying they won't start negotiating before the big 50, no back room chitchat. But now they seem to come to term that it's useful to sound out where compromise may be possible.
And where was this reported? was it a reliable source? or just the rumour engines at work to make it seem progress is being made?

Or perhaps if it has actually occurred they have become impatient and a doing a little urging of their own?
Today from the Guardian
"
UK should 'get act together' to decide on Brexit terms, says top EU figure
European Commission’s Frans Timmermans says: ‘The onus is on the country that decides to leave to tell us how they want to leave’
Doesn't sound very accommodating to me.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The independent this morning
"
Theresa May must manage unrealistic Brexit expectations, warns Tory MP
Andrew Tyrie says the PM needs to distance the Government from the ‘false prospectus’ offered during the referendum by the Leave campaign
Mr Tyrie forecast that it will not be possible to achieve a new settled relationship with the EU within the two-year framework set out in Article 50, and called on the Government to agree transitional arrangements to avoid a “cliff edge” change in trading rules when the period runs out.

In a pamphlet for think-tank Open Europe, the Chichester MP said it was “clear that no-one knows yet” what Brexit will mean.

“If it is to secure consent for the terms of Brexit, and to restore public trust in political discourse, so damaged by the referendum campaign, the Government must be frank, both about the trade-offs involved, and the fact that many of the promises made by the Leave side are manifestly unfulfillable,” he warned.

Taking the right approach could result in “meaningful economic and political gains” from Brexit, but the wrong approach could wreak “early and possibly severe damage” on the country.

Mr Tyrie backed the Prime Minister's position that Britain should not accept an “off-the-shelf” model for its future relationship with the EU, based on models such as Norway, Switzerland or Canada, but needs its own unique arrangements suited to the UK's circumstances.

He said Britain should aim to negotiate “extensive access to the single market, some degree of influence over its rules, withdrawal from the customs union, and the restoration of control over free movement”, entrenched in a treaty with the remaining EU.

Top priority in negotiations should be securing continued access to the European single market for services, he said. And to avoid a “protectionist stitch-up”, the crucial financial services sector will need a deal which gives it not only access to the market but also influence over its rules.

The option of reverting to World Trade Organisation rules would “substantially curtail” UK exports and should be regarded as a “back-stop were negotiations to go disastrously awry”, said Mr Tyrie. Leaving the customs union will be essential to allow Britain to strike new trade deals with countries elsewhere in the world."

Certainly some interesting points, but you have to ask how much of this is achievable, especially the part about influence over EU rules.
It is presenting a rather odd perspective as to the ambitions of the Government, the only thing they seem to be offering the Brexit Voters is a promise about immigration.
And lets be honest, who believes they either can or want to deliver on that?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
And lets be honest, who believes they either can or want to deliver on that?
nobody knows what brexit means yet. However, it seems to me contradictory to stay in the Single Market with its myriad of regulations and open up novel ways to trade with the CW and other blocs. Brexit will have to be outside the Single Market with specific access to be negotiated as time goes by. It will be worse before getting better.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
nobody knows what brexit means yet. However, it seems to me contradictory to stay in the Single Market with its myriad of regulations and open up novel ways to trade with the CW and other blocs. Brexit will have to be outside the Single Market with specific access to be negotiated as time goes by. It will be worse before getting better.
It appears that the Government is simply making soothing statements in an attempt to please everyone, and in fact as yet don't have even the vaguest idea of what they want or how to get it.
For once the Daily Excess is right about that!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Everything I have read says: We don't want to pay for EU running costs any more but we do want all the financial benefits of being a member. And we don't want any more immigrants, the Poles who pick our spuds can stay but they won't be getting any more benefits.

Sounds like a screaming tantrum to me, along the lines "no I won't eat my veg but I am keeping all the toys in the cot"...

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Everything I have read says: We don't want to pay for EU running costs any more but we do want all the financial benefits of being a member. And we don't want any more immigrants, the Poles who pick our spuds can stay but they won't be getting any more benefits.

Sounds like a screaming tantrum to me, along the lines "no I won't eat my veg but I am keeping all the toys in the cot"...
I agree, except it sounds more entitled, uncaring, selfish than that to me in a world that really needs brexit and walls like a Donald Trump or le penn at this point in time. A bit of me thinks a few stalingrads may be the prescription for getting this ugly selfish generation out of their very comfortable comfort zone.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A bit of me thinks a few stalingrads may be the prescription for getting this ugly selfish generation out of their very comfortable comfort zone.
The British face either conceding defeat and trading with Europe on full EU terms, or losing their comfort zone for a very long time, possibly for ever.

That's what Brexit means.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The British face either conceding defeat and trading with Europe on full EU terms, or losing their comfort zone for a very long time, possibly for ever.

That's what Brexit means.
What baffles me is the thought that we are quitting the safety of the EU through nothing more than fear, and accepting the notion that the rest of the EU have somehow "ganged up on us" deliberately, and we lack the guts and ingenuity to deal with that.
We seem terrified of immigrants, choosing to forget that we all are nothing more of less than that ourselves.
So, like a bunch of losers we have withdrawn to the illusory safety of our island to hide behind barriers that "Johnny Foreigner" can't pass.
And from this castle we will sally forth and demand concessions from the EU, commonwealth and those very "Johnny Foreigners" we wont abide here.
Hell, if we made a balls of our economy while in the Nursery of the EU, what chance have we out in the big bad world?
And we should perhaps remember the words of Churchill the last time we left the continent with our tails between out legs.
At the mass Euphoria over our escape from Dunkirk
"wars are not won by evacuations"
My father was there, and two uncles too. They understood very well what he meant.
We should have stood our ground and argued and negotiated for what we wanted in the EU not fled the field like Cowards.
And now have to beg for scraps.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
An interesting twist. Britons with an Irish parent, and that includes Northern Ireland, automatically have Irish citizenship and can have an Irish passport, so they effectively have dual nationality.

Any Briton born of Britons or others but having an Irish grandparent can register for Irish citizenship and a passport. Possession of an Irish passport is regarded as proof of Irish citizenship.

It's been calculated that some 6.2 million British fall within these categories. Therefore almost 10% of the UK population will remain EU citizens even if the UK does leave the EU. :)

Reactions: trex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Apparently demand for the Irish passport has risen rather sharply of late. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes it ended in Urdax a village I like to ride to for a beer, about 25 km.

Anyone who wants to come and ride to very pretty villages and drink obscene quantities of booze while eating great food is welcome from November 12th when I finish my contract :)

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
An interesting twist. Britons with an Irish parent, and that includes Northern Ireland, automatically have Irish citizenship and can have an Irish passport, so they effectively have dual nationality.

Any Briton born of Britons or others but having an Irish grandparent can register for Irish citizenship and a passport. Possession of an Irish passport is regarded as proof of Irish citizenship.

It's been calculated that some 6.2 million British fall within these categories. Therefore almost 10% of the UK population will remain EU citizens even if the UK does leave the EU. :)
I qualify for both an Irish passport and an Italian passport as well as my UK passport. I'm a right mongrel.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Jim.......and soon you may need a Scottish passport,hehe
Dave
If we became Independant, how many people in England do you think would suddenly find Scottish ancestry and try for a Scottish passport? ;)

Advertisers