Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You see no reason for accepting her back. Flecc - so what? If she has a valid passport she has every right to come back. End of.

If in due course she breaks some law - then as I said she will have to deal with that. But until then - you gotta play by the rules.

The fact that she wants to come back........ don't you think that tells you something? Do you not think she will have learned a valuable lesson? But regardless that's not the point. We have to all live by the laws we agree to - otherwise there is nothing but anarchy.
First, she has broken our law by going to Syria to join a proscribed terrorist organisation.

Second, passports can be and have been revoked.

Third, she is not stateless if we reject her, since she chose to join Islamic State. That won it's territory to create its state in just the way most countries are created, including Britain. The fact that most of its territory has now been won back is immaterial.

And fourth, what she's said clearly shows she's learnt no lesson, she still supports that Islamist cause.

Last edited:

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Some vox pop broadcast yesterday appeared to indicate that many of the Muslim population of the area would not welcome her back. Various reasons - not least that her actions and current infamy are felt to put the entire Muslim population in a bad light.
Well f*** the Muslim population of that area. It's not up to them. They live by the laws of the land like the rest of us.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
First, she has broken our law by going to Syria to join a proscribed terrorist organisation.

Third, she is not stateless if we reject her, since she chose to join Islamic State. That won it's territory to create its state in just the way most countries are created, including Britain, The fact that most of its terrotory has now been won back is immaterial.

And fourth, what she's said clearly shows she's learnt no lesson, she still supports that Islamist cause.

... and the age of criminal responsibility is 10 years old. She has to accept responsibility for the choices she made and the associated consequences.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

Third, she is not stateless if we reject her, since she chose to join Islamic State. That won it's territory to create its state in just the way most countries are created, including Britain, The fact that most of its terrotory has now been won back is immaterial.

OK. Well if we have evidence that she has broken a valid law then she's going to have that to deal with.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My view is that she was and possibly still is one of the indoctrinated weak minded and gullible. She would not have been in a position to engage in the erudite and considered analysis on this thread for instance.
Permit me to smile at this point, it hasn't stopped anyone so far;)

Reactions: robdon

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
That is key,

I would have tended to give her a fools pardon ..if,

She had expressed her relief and joy to be free from ISIS,
She had acknowledged what a foolish mistake she had made,
Denounced ISIS for the barbaric Islamist group they are,
Making amends by a desire to warn others when back home of the dangers of getting involved in this group,

but No - not a sign of any of that - that in itself tells its own story

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Get her a flight home and get Cardiff football club to book it.
Fot guy who alleges to be a Media savvy guy, you really do make jokes in poor taste that are not based on the truth .

https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2019/01/23/cardiff-city-soccer-star-salas-35-year-old-plane-made-3-attempts-at-take-off/

Cardiff City FC has said it had nothing to do with chartering the aircraft for Sala’s flight to Cardiff. Cardiff City’s chairman Mehmet Dalman has revealed that Emiliano Sala turned down a commercial flight from Paris and booked the private plane himself.

I see someone equally badly informed responded with a smiley

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That is key,

I would have tended to give her a fools pardon ..if,

She had expressed her relief and joy to be free from ISIS,
She had acknowledged what a foolish mistake she had made,
Denounced ISIS for the barbaric Islamist group they are,
Making amends by a desire to warn others when back home of the dangers of getting involved in this group,

but No - not a sign of any of that - that in itself tells its own story
And she has stated this under oath ?,and even if she has or not is irrelevant ,she is still a UK citizen ,trafficked under false pretences and brainwashed as a child.
There are excuses for some of the other people here,but you must be fully aware of the power of peer pressure and the power of tribal communities . I got a glimpse of it when I attended the funeral of a work colleague in a Nationalist area in Belfast some 15 or so years ago...around the time of the garvaghy road protests.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that law comes to force only this week.
At the time she left for Turkey, there was no such law prohibiting British citizens to go live in Syria.

Ben Wallace (Security minister) told Sky News:
“As a British citizen she has a right to come home here, we are obliged to make sure our citizens have rights, no matter who they are.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/shamima-begum-isis-british-return-uk-london-bethnal-green-syria-terror-a8778821.html

Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
At the time she left for Turkey, there was no such law prohibiting British citizens to go live in Syria.

“As a British citizen she has a right to come home here, we are obliged to make sure our citizens have rights, no matter who they are.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/shamima-begum-isis-british-return-uk-london-bethnal-green-syria-terror-a8778821.html
The first step towards defeating barbarism is demonstrating humanity, especially towards your own misled, brainwashed and probably groomed youth.
Who is supposed to accept her?
Mistreating people is how this mess got started in first place.
We are partially responsible, I even voted for Blair and bought into his WMD arguments.
If she returns and commits further crimes she should be dealtwith accordingly. Besides, whilst she is in UK she is far easier to keep under observation. Punishing her by making her stay out of UK is feeding the fire.
Can we exhile our own citizens anyway?
Send her to New Zealand perhaps.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Fot guy who alleges to be a Media savvy guy, you really do make jokes in poor taste that are not based on the truth .

https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2019/01/23/cardiff-city-soccer-star-salas-35-year-old-plane-made-3-attempts-at-take-off/

Cardiff City FC has said it had nothing to do with chartering the aircraft for Sala’s flight to Cardiff. Cardiff City’s chairman Mehmet Dalman has revealed that Emiliano Sala turned down a commercial flight from Paris and booked the private plane himself.

I see someone equally badly informed responded with a smiley

I'm not just media savvy. I am the media.

I knew all of these facts and more.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

That's an important point. ie - that law was not in place at the time and therefore does not apply in her case.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is not about going to live in Syria, it's about joining proscribed terrrorist organisations.

I understand that there was law preventing anyone joining terrrorist organisations overseas, the terrorism act being passed in year 2000. And five years ago in 2014 the UK listed Islamic State as a proscribed terrorism organisation.

Begum broke the law the day in 2015 that she departed to join them, leaving Britain to join an enemy state in their territory.

• Agree
Reactions: gray198 and tommie

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
flecc said: First, she has broken our law by going to Syria to join a proscribed terrorist organisation.
From the UK GOV list of proscribed terrorist groups...
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) also known as Dawlat al-'Iraq al-Islamiyya, Islamic State of Iraq (ISI), Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and Dawlat al Islamiya fi Iraq wa al Sham (DAISh) and the Islamic State in Iraq and Sham -Proscribed June 2014

I think the point was not about `living in Syria`, anybody can, but joining a proscribed terrorist group there.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
flecc said: First, she has broken our law by going to Syria to join a proscribed terrorist organisation.

From the UK GOV list of proscribed terrorist groups...
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) also known as Dawlat al-'Iraq al-Islamiyya, Islamic State of Iraq (ISI), Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and Dawlat al Islamiya fi Iraq wa al Sham (DAISh) and the Islamic State in Iraq and Sham -Proscribed June 2014

I think the point was not about `living in Syria`, anybody can, but joining a proscribed terrorist group there.
How does one join such an organisation?. Does one fill out an application form,which is then countersigned? , does it involve standing in naked feet and kissing a dead turkey ..ala the thin blue line, ?. At what stage is one a full member?, and affiliate?, a probationer,? Can one join any organisation when you are still a child?. These are questions for a court,not a selection of superannuated folk with the leisure to pontificate on a Saturday afternoon, when there is no six nations rugby.

Advertisers