Brexit, for once some facts.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
she chose to support an illegal organisation. legally, i am not at all sure that that justifies stripping her of her citizenship. morally, historically i know the west have a lot to do with the creation of isis. we grew the Taliban, we, repeatedly, destabilized the middle east. Washing our hands of her is also washing our hands of our role in creating the mess in syria. But this is complex and unfortunately i'm working and without free time so i will have to leave it to all of you sentient souls to arrive at the truth of this complex matter
What is this "we"? Do you work for the CIA?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's not relevant though. It cannot be argued that she did not know the nature of IS and their appalling ways before going to join them. Clearly she put religious belief in the promotion of Islam by murder and worse before any scant trace of humanity.

That makes her totally unacceptable in any Western culture.

We have to start standing up against the violent expansion of extreme Islam more forcefully. They show no mercy, compassion or trace of weakness, nor should we.
as far as the facts are established, she wants to hand herself in to the authorities because she wishes her unborn child to grow up here. It is a valid aim as a mother and a person.
Her political conviction and religious beliefs are not necessarily proven.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
What is this "we"? Do you work for the CIA?
you live in france, so this doesnt apply, but: many of the rest of this forum happily lived in a country with blair as prime minster. we all know what he did. we were - if you permit me some poetic freedom - "married" to blair. we were as complicit in his decisions as the isis bride was in whoever she was married to.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
as far as the facts are established, she wants to hand herself in to the authorities because she wishes her unborn child to grow up here. It is a valid aim as a mother and a person.
Her political beliefs and religious conviction are not necessarily proven.

What?

How much proof do you want ffs?

Has she got to slaughter a squaddie to prove she ISIS in your eyes? In front of you?

Reactions: tommie

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What?

How much proof do you want ffs?
a little more than what is advanced here.
I am pretty certain that if the Home Office brings her home, she will be met by the police.

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A choice she voluntarily relinquished, see below.

Her political beliefs and religious conviction are not necessarily proven.
She's proven them twice, first by going to join IS, fully knowing their nature, second by still believing in their cause. These also preclude her making choices about her future or that of her child in the UK. Since she believes in the IS cause and that form of Islam, shouldn't she have her child brought up according to her beliefs?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and tommie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
you live in france, so this doesnt apply, but: many of the rest of this forum happily lived in a country with blair as prime minster. we all know what he did. we were - if you permit me some poetic freedom - "married" to blair. we were as complicit in his decisions as the isis bride was in whoever she was married to.
Not so, a clear 70% of this country were strongly opposed to going to war in Iraq and they held an all time record breaking march against it.

That was emphatically not our choice, Begum's was.

Reactions: robdon and tommie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A Child can gave the capacity to act but not the capability to appreciate the consequences of that action.
This depends on how a child is defined and when they can make decisions. In this respect we are out of step with most of the rest of the world, even with our European neighbours.

Take the age of consent, seven European countries have it at 15, seven others at 14, and one major country at 13. There's even one at 12 and used to be two. Even in the USA three states have it at 14.

And we are two faced on this issue of when important decisions can be made. Our criminal liability commences at 10, and at 14 there is a major step up in liability for criminal actions. At all those young ages very long terms can be and have been spent in prison.

• Informative
Reactions: OxygenJames

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
She's proven them twice, first by going to join IS, fully knowing their nature, second by still believing in their cause. These also preclude her making choices about her future or that of her child in the UK. Since she believes in the IS cause and that form of Islam, shouldn't she have her child brought up according to her beliefs?
her beliefs are hers, she knows what's best for her child and she can well imagine that her child's beliefs will be different from hers.
As she said to the reporter, she'll do whatever is required for her child to be born here.
I take it that she will take her punishment if it comes to that.
We should all respect due process.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
For what its worth, I reckon she should be allowed back but face penalty. Thought we stopped sending criminals abroad years ago... but glad I,m not deciding...

Reactions: OxygenJames

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
This woman has been a member of ISIS for 4 long years, she is showing zero remorse and hasn`t even uttered a word of their condemnation.
This isn`t a holiday camp for the Girl Guides as some in here seem to think. The only reason she is coming crawling back `home` is because that`s her only option.
If ISIS wasn`t getting hammered militarily she would be more than happy to stay put.
These are the type of people that enter the country, indoctrinate the weak-minded and gullible to grab a Transit Van and end the lives of 20 innocents in a London street.
All in the name of Islam.

Yes, lets open the doors and let them all back in.

btw, where were their parents when they were packing their bags - in the 4 years did they attempt to get them back home??

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Our criminal liability commences at 10, and at 14 there is a major step up in liability for criminal actions. At all those young ages very long terms can be and have been spent in prison.
I think this case is not just about the right of the mother to return to the UK (that's well established, she has the right to come home, subject to TEO, temporary exclusion orders) but also the right of the unborn child.
Does anyone still think that the child should bear responsibilities for the sins of the father?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Not so, a clear 70% of this country were strongly opposed to going to war in Iraq and they held an all time record breaking march against it.

I was on that march for the good it did.

But Blair and Bush prayed together at camp David. Not Walliams. and God told them it was right thing to do.

So I was wrong.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone still think that the child should bear responsibilities for the sins of the father?
That isn't at issue, being born in the Middle East isn't a punishment. Where we are born and the circumstances in which we are born are matters of chance, for Begum's child as it was for all of us.

• Disagree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That isn't at issue, being born in the Middle East isn't a punishment. Where we are born and the circumstances in which we are born are matters of chance, for Begum's child as it was for all of us.
well, her choice is clear: if she stays in the refugee camp, her child will be born a refugee.
If she comes home, it does not matter that the Home Office seeks to deport her later, her child will be looked after by her family.
It's a no brainer really, from her point of view.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This woman has been a member of ISIS for 4 long years, she is showing zero remorse and hasn`t even uttered a word of their condemnation.
This isn`t a holiday camp for the Girl Guides as some in here seem to think. The only reason she is coming crawling back `home` is because that`s her only option.
If ISIS wasn`t getting hammered militarily she would be more than happy to stay put.
These are the type of people that enter the country, indoctrinate the weak-minded and gullible to grab a Transit Van and end the lives of 20 innocents in a London street.
All in the name of Islam.

Yes, lets open the doors and let them all back in.

btw, where were their parents when they were packing their bags - in the 4 years did they attempt to get them back home??
My view is that she was and possibly still is one of the indoctrinated weak minded and gullible. She would not have been in a position to engage in the erudite and considered analysis on this thread for instance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was on that march for the good it did.

But Blair and Bush prayed together at camp David. Not Walliams. and God told them it was right thing to do.

So I was wrong.
You were morally right, and if their God did tell them it was right, then their God was as immoral as they were and are both still.

Reactions: robdon

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

i also went on the march. but that was it. i stayed in the country, didn't do anything further, despite knowing of the wrongs that were being committed. How many of us passively colluded with blair and bush in the same way? That's what i mean with complicit. I'm repeating some of the later posts here - but isis no doubt represent a range of views, which did she agree with and to what degree did she become captive to more extreme views? Much as we happy self indulged middle class sods continued our self serving lives without too much murmur in the heady days of good economic growth (booby trapped as it was) and corrupt destructive foreign policy during the new labour years? we don't know the degree of her collusion. we are prejudging her on the basis of assumptions. That's before we get to the degree to which a muddled fifteen year old can really truly make an informed decision.

Advertisers