Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For example, I don’t believe that a system of law & justice which sanctions capital punishment is civilised.
if so, how do you explain civilised countries dropping bombs or imposing economic sanctions?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
That depends on which laws we live by. There are certain laws and systems of justice in use within other countries that I’m sure you would not want to be subjected to. For example, I don’t believe that a system of law & justice which sanctions capital punishment is civilised. Therefore you are wrong, living by laws does not necessarily make for a civilised society.
Living by our more or less democratically established laws is what makes us more or less civilised. Your attempt at moral relativism is completely irrelevant.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Living by our more or less democratically established laws is what makes us more or less civilised.
You didn’t say our laws, you said living by laws, which could mean any laws as long as they are laws in any country.

But I do agree that U.K. laws are a gold standard.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: flecc

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Telling analysis in the Editorial of the Irish Independent....

Editorial: 'EU cannot allow us to burn as May fiddles over brexit'

A forthright and frankly chilling interview with someone described as a "senior EU diplomat" yesterday came like a glass of cold water in the face.

The un-named source said: "In a no-deal scenario, Ireland would have to choose between setting up a physical Border with Northern Ireland and de facto leaving the single market. If there is no physical Border, the customs checks would have to take place on all goods coming from Ireland."

So we bring in a hard Border or leave the single market. It's really that stark. A blunt "our way or the highway" ultimatum, veiled in the velvet language only anonymity allows. No matter how much Iveagh House may try to calm nerves these quotes cannot be dismissed.

They were carried by the Reuters news agency - the go-to source favoured by the EU when feeding unpalatable truths into the mainstream.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/editorial-eu-cannot-allow-us-to-burn-as-may-fiddles-over-brexit-37818812.html

Reactions: gray198

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The un-named source said: "In a no-deal scenario, Ireland would have to choose between setting up a physical Border with Northern Ireland and de facto leaving the single market. If there is no physical Border, the customs checks would have to take place on all goods coming from Ireland."
That seems to me to be entirely reasonable, simply facing the facts.

The EU and N.I. being two separate markets will have to have a controlled border. Alternatively the RoI will have to be separated from the EU single market with the sea providing the boundary between the EU and Ireland.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and gray198

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Laura Kuenssberg tweet: a small group of Labour MP s is leaving.

It seems to me that both parties need to be split to bring sanity back.

That was the story I worked on last week.

They jumped before they were pushed. I find it quite amazing that Chuka can find his values to hate Corbyn but can’t be truthful about his sexuality as it will offend his family. Berger is another hypocrite as well. She was about to be deselected and lied that she wasn’t leaving.

There should be by elections. These people were elected on labours coin. Under Corbyn.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Nonsense.

How can it defy common sense. By definition common sense is the majority.

The majority won.
the majority won that vote but loses the argument.
If there is another referendum, it's very likely that brexit will be reversed.
If so, common sense is with hindsight. What happened before (the vote) was a moment in time where several exceptional factors had a part.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
the majority won that vote but loses the argument.
If there is another referendum, it's very likely that brexit will be reversed.
If so, common sense is with hindsight. What happened before (the vote) was a moment in time where several exceptional factors had a part.
How have they lost the argument?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How have they lost the argument?
losing, not yet lost.
brexit leaders are leaving, fear of asking voters to confirm that they want TM's deal and Farage is prepared for the next brexit fight. Why? if he believes brexit is put to bed.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
brexit leaders are leaving, fear of asking voters to confirm that they want TM's deal and Farage is prepared for the next brexit fight.

If the groaner had posted that I would have just ignored it.

But as it’s you I will reply and tell you how very weak that is.

Up your game whoosh. You are sinking to the bigots and liars levels.

That isn’t you.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If the groaner had posted that I would have just ignored it.

But as it’s you I will reply and tell you how very weak that is.

Up your game whoosh. You are sinking to the bigots and liars levels.

That isn’t you.
I don't mind that some brexit promoters want to leave for tax reason, but if they do because of tax reason, then that implies that post brexit, our ability to retain rich people is less than before.
that is the case for brexit to be an economic success is weak.

If you add the polls' figures for no deal brexit and May's deal,
Remain: 42%
No deal: 28%
May's deal: 15%
The rest don't know.

The point is brexit is won by the majority that participated at that point in time when there was pent up urge to vote for those who waited a long time for the referendum, whereas common sense and hindsight are of all citizens when the urge has passed.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/883660/support-for-brexit-scenarios/

Last edited:

Advertisers