Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
More Brexit good news:

We’re to go back to having weekly bin collections it seems. That’s the plan that Michael Gove is announcing at least. This being something that Brexit gives us – the ability to tell the European Union where it gets off with its more ludicrous insistences upon recycling.

No, really, this insistence that all is recycled comes from the European Union. There are targets for the percentage of whatever that is recycled. The logic is that, well, we must just recycle more because scarce resources. This being entirely untrue of course, recycling costs more therefore it uses more resources.

The legal justification though is that Holland can’t use landfill – dig a hole there you get water – so therefore it would be unfair competition if other places could use landfill. So, therefore, no one should use landfill.

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
More Brexit good news:

We’re to go back to having weekly bin collections it seems. That’s the plan that Michael Gove is announcing at least. This being something that Brexit gives us – the ability to tell the European Union where it gets off with its more ludicrous insistences upon recycling.

No, really, this insistence that all is recycled comes from the European Union. There are targets for the percentage of whatever that is recycled. The logic is that, well, we must just recycle more because scarce resources. This being entirely untrue of course, recycling costs more therefore it uses more resources.

The legal justification though is that Holland can’t use landfill – dig a hole there you get water – so therefore it would be unfair competition if other places could use landfill. So, therefore, no one should use landfill.
Millions of homes could have their food waste bins collected weekly, if new proposals from the environment secretary are implemented in the wake of a government consultation on the UK’s waste system. Michael Gove’s proposed measures to ensure consistent recycling collections come after a number of councils cut the frequency of collections, leaving residents with overflowing bins. Free garden waste collections for households with gardens may also be introduced while councils in England will be obliged to provide weekly pickups of food waste. The policy area is devolved to national government level.​
What has happened in our formerly green and pleasant land is that in order to reduce landfill councils have simply not been picking stuff up to go into landfill. That food waste can just sit and rot for a month. The rats and disease will larn ’em to waste less:

The Government has pledged to clean up the streets by scrapping monthly bin collections following complaints of rats, flies and overflowing bins. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) will set out plans to rethink waste disposal and recycling in England in a bid to move back towards a weekly schedule.​
Government is actually the system of organising the bin collections. We’re trying to get that public good of not having rotting food, the flies, rats and disease, floating around. Getting shot of it all has historically been both the cause and purpose of local government.

How wondrous that moving to a continental system of governance means that we’ve not been able to do what government is for, eh? Fortunately, now we’re leaving we can get it right again.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Telling analysis in the Editorial of the Irish Independent....

Editorial: 'EU cannot allow us to burn as May fiddles over brexit'

A forthright and frankly chilling interview with someone described as a "senior EU diplomat" yesterday came like a glass of cold water in the face.

The un-named source said: "In a no-deal scenario, Ireland would have to choose between setting up a physical Border with Northern Ireland and de facto leaving the single market. If there is no physical Border, the customs checks would have to take place on all goods coming from Ireland."

So we bring in a hard Border or leave the single market. It's really that stark. A blunt "our way or the highway" ultimatum, veiled in the velvet language only anonymity allows. No matter how much Iveagh House may try to calm nerves these quotes cannot be dismissed.

They were carried by the Reuters news agency - the go-to source favoured by the EU when feeding unpalatable truths into the mainstream.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/editorial-eu-cannot-allow-us-to-burn-as-may-fiddles-over-brexit-37818812.html
Tommie,tell us something we do not know. The EU will support Ireland ,even to the extent of assisting with any infrastructure. But .... A hard border has consequences.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I don't mind that some brexit promoters want to leave for tax reason, but if they do because of tax reason, then that implies that post brexit, our ability to retain rich people is less than before.
that is the case for brexit to be an economic success is weak.

If you add the polls' figures for no deal brexit and May's deal,
Remain: 42%
No deal: 28%
May's deal: 15%
The rest don't know.

The point is brexit is won by the majority that participated at that point in time when there was pent up urge to vote for those who waited a long time for the referendum, whereas common sense and hindsight are of all citizens when the urge has passed.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/883660/support-for-brexit-scenarios/

That is very weak as well.

Shall we turn the clock back to 97 and re run that vote because of the gulf war?

Re run the 2015 election and stop milliband eating bacon rolls?

Anything else?

The difference is we haven’t even left yet! You are shook by the media and negative stories. We knew this would happen. You can’t defeat the establishment without expecting serious blowback. Factor in the weakest government in my lifetime and yes. It’s normal to have doubts and worries.

The only thing worse than Brexit is no Brexit. It will rip this country apart. We need to hold our nerve and ignore the negative propaganda.The EU is not what keeps this country together. We will get by just fine without them. I believe in time we will do better.

I still maintain we should never have been asked but we were. The answer was given. I’m sorry you don’t like it but here we are.

Reactions: OxygenJames

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That is very weak as well.

Shall we turn the clock back to 97 and re run that vote because of the gulf war?

Re run the 2015 election and stop milliband eating bacon rolls?

Anything else?

The difference is we haven’t even left yet! You are shook by the media and negative stories. We knew this would happen. You can’t defeat the establishment without expecting serious blowback. Factor in the weakest government in my lifetime and yes. It’s normal to have doubts and worries.

The only thing worse than Brexit is no Brexit. It will rip this country apart. We need to hold our nerve and ignore the negative propaganda.The EU is not what keeps this country together. We will get by just fine without them. I believe in time we will do better.

I still maintain we should never have been asked but we were. The answer was given. I’m sorry you don’t like it but here we are.
as I said, losing but not yet lost the argument.
I think if you have 52/48 in 2016 against 67/33 in 1975, it's far from a clear win, you will have a lot of unhappy people and it's unfinished business.
Let's wait and see in 2021 if we finally have left. I reckon we still in the SM and CU.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
We need to hold our nerve and ignore the negative propaganda.The EU is not what keeps this country together. We will get by just fine without them. I believe in time we will do better.
Of course, and as one of our outstanding MP`s prophesied last november..

[B]Sammy Wilson MP[/B]‏ @[B]eastantrimmp[/B] 30 Nov 2018
Don’t underestimate the dirty tricks, the skullduggery, the pressure and the manipulation the government will be engaged in to try and drive wedges, persuade people and weaken arguments as it tries to get this deal through Parliament.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
as I said, losing but not yet lost the argument.
I think if you have 52/48 in 2016 against 67/33 in 1975, it's far from a clear win, you will have a lot of unhappy people and it's unfinished business.
Let's wait and see in 2021 if we finally have left. I reckon we still in the SM and CU.
Hope is a wonderful virtue. ,But at present the only current prospect is the crashout.

Now the defections from Labour ,might, just about change the parliament voting.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
That was the story I worked on last week.

They jumped before they were pushed. I find it quite amazing that Chuka can find his values to hate Corbyn but can’t be truthful about his sexuality as it will offend his family. Berger is another hypocrite as well. She was about to be deselected and lied that she wasn’t leaving.

There should be by elections. These people were elected on labours coin. Under Corbyn.
Why bring his sexuality into it? What is it with you and homosexuality?

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But at present the only current prospect is the crashout.
we can be out without a deal at the end of March but there is every incentive to get a deal going quickly.
I'd say by the end of April, the withdrawal deal would be in place.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Hope is a wonderful virtue. ,But at present the only current prospect is the crashout.

Now the defections from Labour ,might, just about change the parliament voting.

Errr no.

This lot won’t change how they vote. They are all anti Brexit and have always been.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Fwiw I'd say you have to work a bit harder on your lines before you launch yourself into that stand-up career..
It wasnt supposed to be funny. I was pointing out the dichotomy between our societies and the fact the very ones moaning about ours benefit more than most. Obviously irony is another concept you dont quite understand.
But I do appreciate your civil response, it makes a nice change. Thank you.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
You wouldn’t understand it.

It’s about principles and not lying to people.
No, it's defamatory, trying to use allegations about someone's private life to discredit them. You're not so subtle attempts to weave quite ugly intolerance into the debate is one reason what happens at present resonate so much with the 1930s.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Good job we have free speech laws, otherwise OG and OT/JA would be ISIS brides by now.
Perhaps you would care to explain the logic behind that statement, you are coming over as being more and more bizarre with every post.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If the groaner had posted that I would have just ignored it.

But as it’s you I will reply and tell you how very weak that is.

Up your game whoosh. You are sinking to the bigots and liars levels.

That isn’t you.
It's really time you grew up and stopped this petty nonsense, Woosh will never sink to your level or those who approve your posts.

• Agree
  • Offensive Language
Reactions: robdon and 50Hertz

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Of course.

We are all racists and thick.
You are making an excellent case that you are, hopefully you don't represent the majority of leave voters
You demean them with comments like that, which after al was made by Gove first to drum up sympathy among the leave voters and falsely make them feel victimised.
Another one of your phoney Urban Myths

• Agree

Advertisers