Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well, yes, but how can i put this euphemistically. We discovered we have a much larger number of quite uninformed reactionary xenophobes in our midst. If you knew that in advance, congrats. I dont know that many did. On the plus side, they are - in a morbid anthropological way - an intersting phenomenon. And, critically, we appear to have seen them off for now.
Oh Dear! I actually expressed surprise at the time that more people hadn't voted for leave (but I put that down to resentment of being ignored)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What surprises me is that these right wing fascists have managed to keep normal working guys on their side....there just seems a blind continuity of thought by some even though it will clearly hurt them badly.....the workforce of Honda and Nissan being prime examples....I wonder whether these workforces are still behind Brexit,even though it could lose them their jobs.?
I may be cynical but I think it's a sign of success for a few pioneers in disruptive technology applied to politics.
You see Steve Bannon, Dominic Cummings etc using it.
They change the way politics works. If we went back to the 70s before information technology was capable of mass influence, politics was about working in and running governments. Now it's about how many followers and retweets.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/immediate-response-jacob-rees-mogg-brexit-uturn/
"The chairman of the European Research Group was at the centre of organising a vote of confidence against the Prime Minister three months ago, claiming that her deal wasn't good enough.
But he has just indicated that he now believes voting for Mrs May's deal is the only way Brexit will happen.

He said: "The Prime Minister does not want to leave without a deal, the cabinet doesn’t want to leave without a deal, and the British parliament doesn’t want to leave without a deal. It is therefore very difficult to see how you get to leaving without a deal."

Responding to the news, James said: "It was Jacob Rees-Mogg, the chairman of the European Research Group, who led that attempt to unseat Theresa May in December of last year, so unhappy was he and his little band of Grand Wizards with the withdrawal agreement that she had procured, that he sought to actually overthrow her as leader of the Conservative Party.

"I'm hearing he has announced he would support that withdrawal agreement in the event of it coming back to the House of Commons.
"How can you go in three months from saying this treaty is so bad, the Prime Minister who negotiated it should be fired.

"And then three months later, saying 'Er, I think I might support it.'.

"I haven't got a clue. Three months from saying this is to unbelievably awful, I'm going to launch a coup against the Prime Minister, I'm going to submit a vote of no confidence.

"Three months later, 'Er, I think I might vote for it."
JRM reckons the ERG will shortly take over the government.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
If we went back to the 70s before information technology was capable of mass influence, politics was about working in and running governments.
:) These people complaining about switching miles to kilometres in 1978 sound suspiciously like Brexiteers

"Well I travel abroad alot, well when we go abroad, you don't get as much milage to it.

And therefore, you're going to use more petrol, and then they say... so many miles, but you're not going to do that. You're not going to do that because the kilomet... are not the same as the milage. "

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
JC... "John, it seems our chances of getting in power might have got a bit better, is there anything you can do to get them back to normal"

JM "Well, Jeremy, what about a letter to treasury saying if we get in we, d be starting a programmw of reducation for civil servants, helping them with new marxist theories of economics"

JC.. "Thats perfect John, should put voters off nicely"

JM.. "I, ll get on with it now"..

You couldnt make it up.

Nick Boles, the minister who utilised government funds for foreign language lessons so he could talk to his boyfriend is now the hero, well for his 10 minutes of fame anyway.

Its getting worse.. What a mess. Still reckon its no deal, thanks to remainers.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
TM has an overdue meeting on Wednesday with 1922 Committee - time for her to get P45.
Some people think she will promise to leave once her deal gets through and so she will not be the one negotiation the next stage with the EU. Her hope being this will be enough to persuade most of the ERG to vote for her deal and she can finish saying that she has delivered Brexit. Without the DUP I still don't think she will have the numbers to get her deal through.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Steady there! he is having to make a silk purse out of a Sows ear remember.

Imagine yourself in his position, you would be offering up a daily prayer along these lines...

"Lord Grant us all a Brexit,
So good, that even I
referring to it afterwards
Will not have need to lie!

Ho bleed'n Ho :cool:
Yes but in common with many remainers (and i know youre reading this fingers), i would in fact at least half welcome a case for brexit. Not expediently, financially - intrinsically, existentially. How it in fact would make the uk a better place to live?
Theres a reason brexit is slipping from leve voters fingers. Lack of substance. Its becoming glaringly obvious to the most deluded observer that this emperor is stark naked.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
So what do you all think is the mostly likely thing to happen now regarding Brexit. Note I am asking what you all think is the most likely thing, and not what you want to happen. I think the most likely thing is a much softer Brexit (Common market 2.0). I would prefer no Brexit at all, but Common Market 2.0 would not be too bad, and I would not be surprised if in a few years we could be back in the EU as full members of a modified EU. Many countries in the EU are now starting to face up to some of the problems we have had with the EU, and so I think they will have to change.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Oh Dear! I actually expressed surprise at the time that more people hadn't voted for leave (but I put that down to resentment of being ignored)
But were they ignored? We had austerity, a very mild degree of deprivation and a blaming of al the wrong suspects (the eu, immigrants). I dont want to inflame any leave voters on the thread by putting that down to resentment of being ignorant

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
JC... "John, it seems our chances of getting in power might have got a bit better, is there anything you can do to get them back to normal"

JM "Well, Jeremy, what about a letter to treasury saying if we get in we, d be starting a programmw of reducation for civil servants, helping them with new marxist theories of economics"

JC.. "Thats perfect John, should put voters off nicely"

JM.. "I, ll get on with it now"..

You couldnt make it up.

Nick Boles, the minister who utilised government funds for foreign language lessons so he could talk to his boyfriend is now the hero, well for his 10 minutes of fame anyway.

Its getting worse.. What a mess. Still reckon its no deal, thanks to remainers.
Your mess remember this statement
"
Its getting worse.. What a mess. Still reckon its no deal, thanks to remainers."

Is your biggest lie yet.
Own up to what is the result of your rash decision and quit blaming anyone else.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
But were they ignored? We had austerity, a very mild degree of deprivation and a blaming of al the wrong suspects (the eu, immigrants). I dont want to inflame any leave voters on the thread by putting that down to resentment of being ignorant
Oh I shouldn't worry about inflaming leavers,
No danger of Spontaneous combustion there, we see demonstrated every day, the best they can do is steam a little like a compost heap:rolleyes:

• Agree

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
So what do you all think is the mostly likely thing to happen now regarding Brexit. Note I am asking what you all think is the most likely thing, and not what you want to happen. I think the most likely thing is a much softer Brexit (Common market 2.0). I would prefer no Brexit at all, but Common Market 2.0 would not be too bad, and I would not be surprised if in a few years we could be back in the EU as full members of a modified EU. Many countries in the EU are now starting to face up to some of the problems we have had with the EU, and so I think they will have to change.
Tricky, Tory front has shifted subtly since petition from Brexit come-what-may beacuse it's the 'Will of People' to 'It is in our manifesto' - but still Brexit in some shape or form while it's in their hands as Govt.

So realistically at this stage really really soft Brexit - but ideally somehow revoking Article 50 by one vote cast by Bercow!

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Tricky, Tory front has shifted subtly since petition from Brexit come-what-may beacuse it's the 'Will of People' to 'It is in our manifesto' - but still Brexit in some shape or form while it's in their hands as Govt.

So realistically at this stage really really soft Brexit - but ideally somehow revoking Article 50 by one vote cast by Bercow!
Guardian say may offered to resign in return for erg support for her deal last weekend at chequers. What is it about her deal that makes passing it such an all consuming khamikaze compulsion to her/her supporters? Are we missing something?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What is it about her deal that makes passing it such an all consuming khamikaze compulsion to her/her supporters? Are we missing something?
She's a woman!

Many women won't change their minds, they claim this imaginary quality they call intuition which makes them certain they cannot possibly be wrong.*

Margaret Thatcher was a prime example, and the EU had the same trouble with her. They made the mistake of giving in to her, but they won't make that mistake now.

Fortunately our administrator HelenJ isn't like that so she won't delete this post (hopefully! :)).

* I blame the Victorians, they had a code of good manners which included the maxim that one must never tell a lady that she is wrong, only at most that she might have been misled. (by a man of course)

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
They've staked everything on achieving Brexit (within red lines as per their manifesto https://www.conservatives.com/manifesto ) and will sell their grandmother / hack a limb or two off to protect to the end their Party even when in meltdown with multople core breaches in progress. May is willingly expendable ( she's already made that clear re she won't be around for a GE) but she's sold her soul to the 1922 Committee to carry out Brexit to the end like the foootballer the other week refusing to leave the pitch until the game was over. A change of leader is certain in April if and when anything is decided or a delay comes into play again.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
She's a woman!

Many women won't change their minds, they claim this imaginary quality they call intuition which makes them certain they cannot possibly be wrong.*

Margaret Thatcher was a prime example, and the EU had the same trouble with her. They made the mistake of giving in to her, but they won't make that mistake now.

Fortunately our administrator HelenJ isn't like that so she won't delete this post (hopefully! :)).

* I blame the Victorians, they had a code of good manners which included the maxim that one must never tell a lady that she is wrong, only at most that she might have been misled. (by a man of course)
IMG_20190326_161512.jpg

Advertisers