Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Of course that is what you think. But it’s incorrect. They have said and built their major hq here. London is London. It’s Brexit proof. Or Brexit what’s in your mind.

They are going nowhere. And we should tax them till the pips burst because of it.
Stuff and nonsense!
London is likely to lose premier financial status mid to long term through Brexit

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A turnover tax,where companies either pay corporation tax or turnover tax.
I pay google, Ebay and Paypal in Luxembourg, Bing in Ireland. If the UK wants to tax them, how do you think the UK will do that?

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Why do Brexit Voters keep trotting out these same old dead as a dodo claims?
What I don’t understand is why do they have confidence in the U.K. government to lead them to better times? What is it that they have seen which leaves such a positive impression?

Unless I’ve missed something, all I have witnessed over the last three years is absolute failure, grotesque manoeuvring for personal gain and laziness from the U.K. The EU has quite literally pissed all over us in every aspect of negotiation, and I must say, done it with class and dignity. The EU have completed the grand slam and it’s the team we need to be on playing a key role. I wish we, the U.K., were a major player, but we aren’t, the world has changed and big unions of nations is currently where it’s at.

Wishing for a good Brexit is as futile as hoping for a load of new shops to open in town centres. None of those things are going to happen, the situation is different now, we must keep up with a changing world.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What I don’t understand is why do they have confidence in the U.K. government to lead them to better times? What is it that they have seen which leaves such a positive impression?

Unless I’ve missed something, all I have witnessed over the last three years is absolute failure, grotesque manoeuvring for personal gain and laziness from the U.K. The EU has quite literally pissed all over us in every aspect of negotiation, and I must say, done it with class and dignity. The EU have completed the grand slam and it’s the team we need to be on playing a key role. I wish we, the U.K., were a major player, but we aren’t, the world has changed and big unions of nations is currently where it’s at.

Wishing for a good Brexit is as futile as hoping for a load of new shops will open in town centres. None of those things are going to happen, the situation is different now, we must keep up with a changing world.
Agree with all your comments except one. I believe that the EU has tried to deal fairly and honourably with the UK. And is still trying to. At least both Trusk, and Merkel are still trying. Perhaps Merkel's response is more pro Ireland than Pro UK, . One could see how perturbed Junkers was at suggestions that his response had been less than conciliatory. By his interpretation, the EU gave a lot more away, than they wished in order to keep the UK onside.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I pay google, Ebay and Paypal in Luxembourg, Bing in Ireland. If the UK wants to tax them, how do you think the UK will do that?
While PayPal office and registered HQ might be Luxembourg, the action takes place in Ireland. The company employs around 2500 in a few sites, including my town.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Agree with all your comments except one. I believe that the EU has tried to deal fairly and honourably with the UK. And is still trying to. At least both Trusk, and Merkel are still trying. Perhaps Merkel's response is more pro Ireland than Pro UK, . One could see how perturbed Junkers was at suggestions that his response had been less than conciliatory. By his interpretation, the EU gave a lot more away, than they wished in order to keep the UK onside.
Yes, it may not have come across in my post, but I agree that the EU has been as fair as can be expected. They are trying to balance the interests of the remaining members with the UK's interests, and they are not making a bad job of it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
JC Juncker said that David Cameron didn't expect he would win outright in 2015. His win set off a chain of events that will ultimately cost the EU and the UK dear.
In many ways, both the UK and the EU would be financially better off if TM fails to get her deal ratified by our parliament.

Last edited:

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
In many ways, both the UK and the EU would be financially better off if TM fails to get her deal ratified by our parliament.
I sincerely hope this is the case. Leaving under any of the options currently being discussed brings less benefit than remaining.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Wishing for a good Brexit is as futile as hoping for a load of new shops to open in town centres. None of those things are going to happen, the situation is different now, we must keep up with a changing world.
Absolutely agree 100%

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Hard Brexit. It's the only way to stop the argument. If it's fails we just rejoin.

What's not to like?
The fact that some people are too slow in the thinking department to realise that basically it's about as good an idea as trying to detect and remedy a gas leak in a confined area by looking for it with a match .
On the principle that regardless of the pain and suffering, modern plastic surgery is very good
The only real way to solve the argument is to cancel Brexit and put the leave campaign villains on trial.
What's not to like? the rule of law abided by.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hard Brexit. It's the only way to stop the argument. If it's fails we just rejoin.

What's not to like?
if we rejoin, it's because the predictions of mainstream economists become proven.
That means, possibly in about 10 years, we would have lost about 10% GDP and 2-3 places in world's most advanced economies ranking, wiped out our manufacturing from cheap imports, 15% depreciation of our currency, unsustainable trade deficit. The kind of situation we were in before we sought to join the common market made worse this time by an ageing population and unable to fund social safety net.
If and when we do rejoin, we would then see a brain drain toward continental Europe.
Folie des grandeurs.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
if we rejoin, it's because the predictions of mainstream economists become proven.
That means, possibly in about 10 years, we would have lost about 10% GDP and 2-3 places in world's most advanced economies ranking, wiped out our manufacturing from cheap imports, 15% depreciation of our currency, unsustainable trade deficit. The kind of situation we were in before we sought to join the common market.
If and when we do rejoin, we would then see a brain drain toward continental Europe.
And the terms of rejoining would surely be less advantageous.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
On what basis can Boris Johnson be denied any possibility of becoming PM? Preferably legally.

If you vote tory you could be forgiven for thinking:

That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone

Because they could be making a habit of changing leader without a GE.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And the terms of rejoining would surely be less advantageous.
I am not bothered about things like the loss of the rebate or some fish etc because we may not have to pay toward helping many less developed EU countries by then and there may not be much fish left.
I am bothered about knowing the risks and still go for it because of misplaced bravado. Don't catch a falling knife.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I am not bothered about things like the loss of the rebate or some fish etc because we may not have to pay toward helping many less developed EU countries by then and there may not be much fish left.
I am bothered about knowing the risks and still go for it because of misplaced bravado. Don't catch a falling knife.
We might have become one of the less developed (former- and asking-to-be-) EU countries by then... :)

Last edited:

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019

What's not to like?
What is it that you think that an isolated & lone U.K. has to offer the world? What do we have that is going to generate trade and wealth? If a hard Brexit happens, who has proven themselves capable of turning things around and leading us towards better times?

No one ever answers these questions and there is a very good reason for it, no one has the foggiest idea. To base the future on such flimsy faith is beyond reckless.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This woeful period on our own in the world would be closer to a barefoot Arse kicking contest with a Porcupine methinks!

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
What is it that you think that an isolated & lone U.K. has to offer the world? What do we have that is going to generate trade and wealth? If a hard Brexit happens, who has proven themselves capable of turning things around and leading us towards better times?

No one ever answers these questions and there is a very good reason for it, no one has the foggiest idea. To base the future on such flimsy faith is beyond reckless.

Have you been to London recently?

If Brexit fails then we win. So much property is owned by the world.

We just reboot.

We are in a win win state.

We are one of the cleverest nations in the world.

Have faith brother.

Advertisers