Brexit, for once some facts.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
There is no offense of "contempt of court ", so there is no fixed penalty. What there is is a continuous imprisonment cycle and immediate return to the court , the next day in order to "purge the contempt"

I'm talking about this country. Where the crime we are talking about was committed. Not your country. If we were talking about Ireland we would say so. If your country is not specifically mentioned then always assume we are talking about our country. The United Kingdom. And dues to double jeopardy laws if you are sentenced then you cannot be jailed for it again.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm talking about this country. Where the crime we are talking about was committed. Not your country. If we were talking about Ireland we would say so. If your country is not specifically mentioned then always assume we are talking about our country. The United Kingdom. And dues to double jeopardy laws if you are sentenced then you cannot be jailed for it again.
That double jeopardy law was altered slightly in 2003. You can in fact be hauled back to the courts to be investigated again in connection with the original crime and possibly charged with something else maybe even more serious. For example the authorities could fail to get a manslaughter conviction against you, but at a later date bring you back to face a charge of murder.

Reactions: robdon

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
That double jeopardy law was altered slightly in 2003. You can in fact be hauled back to the courts to be investigated again in connection with the original crime and possibly charged with something else maybe even more serious. For example the authorities could fail to get a manslaughter conviction against you, but at a later date bring you back to face a charge of murder.

I believe that law was changed specifically murder and it was because of the Stephen Lawrence gang if memory serves but I'm sure it only for murder.

Not for say contempt of court. I could be wrong though.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Cue criminal inquiry, apparently. In this case, despite it being impossible to gather a more obsessively self serving amoral bunch of rats, there may however be a public interest argument. But its morbidly fascinating, anyway, a very drawn out performance of ceasar with awful lines and without a brutus.
Like something out of "Up Pompeii"

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I told you so. See how many of my other predictions come true.

I told you so. See how many of my other predictions come true.

Do you really believe this load of rubbish?
It smacks of a promotional film for Al Capone, where his Mother says
"He's a gooda boy, he loves his Momma!"
Corny rubbish aimed at a gullible audience and not very convincing even considering the audience wants to be convinced.
He's as big a con man as Farage.
So the clown is standing as an MEP, so what?
Larry the Cat from Number 10 would make a better candidate.
By the way what other predictions have you made?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wicky and robdon

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think you two are hugely underestimating Tommy's following and influence.

I'm standing at his barbecue at the moment. All around are what looks to me like ordinary family people - quite a few different ethnicities too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What you are describing has actually happened a number of times in Irish courts or tribunals Where Journalists have refused to name sources and have been jailed for contempt. It almost always is resolved by the Judge vacating the order. To protect from embarrassment, Judges would normally not press the matter knowing what the inevitable response and martyrdom will result.
In a case like the current one, the person leaking the information committed a crime under the official secrets act. The journalist receiving the information is a party to that crime and can be sentenced for that, quite apart from any issue of refusal to disclose the source.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019

I'm standing at his barbecue at the moment. All around are what looks to me like ordinary family people - quite a few different ethnicities too.
Watch out he doesn't push you in vf, you're needed here.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016

What two?

And you're at little Tommies BBQ? What are they burning? Books?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The only thing getting burnt is the charcoal. The sausages and burgers are getting cooked but not burnt. They're just right nice and meaty.

You must be suffering from some sort of hysteria if you think that books might get burnt. Why do you think that would happen?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Javid, Hunt, Williamson, Fox & Mordaunt appear to be in the frame for leaking the news regarding Theresa May’s decision to approve the Chinese telecoms company to become involved in building the UK’s 5G network. All advised against the decision and the leak is said to be part of a leadership ambition, by wanting to appear tough on China!

Now who would burn what’s left of the UK’s credibility for their own personal gain?
Boris Johnson would appear to do almost anything for personal gain. Yet more register of interests entries revealing that... (Amazing! He actually did the declaration in time.)

• Agree
Reactions: 50Hertz and robdon

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I don't want to disillusion you vr but that announcement was known about weeks ago. My partner is a supporter of his, she had her invitation way back...it was a personal one too. I have his autograph if you want it.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
The only thing getting burnt is the charcoal. The sausages and burgers are getting cooked but not burnt. They're just right nice and meaty.

You must be suffering from some sort of hysteria if you think that books might get burnt. Why do you think that would happen?

I understand the owner of the grassy area you are on didn't want him or his supporters there.

Doesn't matter though. If you disagree little Tommy you are wrong.

I bet you. And we can decide the bet, he struggles to get his deposit back

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
In a case like the current one, the person leaking the information committed a crime under the official secrets act. The journalist receiving the information is a party to that crime and can be sentenced for that, quite apart from any issue of refusal to disclose the source.
Just what can the journo do about that if, say, he simply received an anonymous email with the information? He can't unsee it - can he?

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just what can the journo do about that if, say, he simply received an anonymous email with the information? He can't unsee it - can he?
Simple. In that instance immediately report it to the police.

However, it would be naive to think that happens. In the real world journalists persuade people to reveal information.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Anyone on this forum using Fibre Optic Broadband ? most I should think. If you're using BT lines you'll be connected to a green box somewhere close by called a Cabinet. The electronics inside that box of tricks is manufactured by just two companies, ECI an Israeli concern or Huawei which are the better of the two performance wise, there are no others.
Whoops..that's let the cat out of the bag, was I supposed to keep that a secret, oh dear.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I know what you are saying, but I would think that it’s extremely unlikely a major newspaper would run such an explosive story on the basis of an anonymous tip off. Any crack-pot could make any outrageous claim a see it published. I think the likelihood is that the journalist knows very well where the information came from.

It’s interesting that all but two of the prime suspects have made personal denials. I have full confidence that no prosecution will be forthcoming.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

On the contrary this is something we have seen far too often in the past, and it always ends in tears, if you really are there, leave while you can.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Advertisers