Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Still on the theme of political failure, I've just been listening to a radio program on devolution. In it a Northern Ireland politician said this about Stormont's Northern Ireland Assembly

"The big advantage of power sharing is that it delivers a continuity that other democratic systems don't enjoy".

Blinkered doesn't even come into it!
Obviously a"Wally Batty" character

Reactions: robdon and flecc

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Breaking news....
TM to resign on 7th of June.
Let me explain very quickly what is going to happen next:

Boris will get in - he will convince Farage of his intentions to do a real Brexit and Farage will fold the Brexit party. Boris will go to the people on a pro-Brexit ticket, win - implement Brexit with a big majority in Parliament - and we'll all live happily ever after.

Got it?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
The most ominous thing about this election is simply this

It will be the first one won by a private company backed by sinister financiers and subversion of rules and the media, rather than a political party

I find this augers badly for the future and the corporates will regard it as meaning that political power is easily bought.

You just need to work a confidence trick and actually promise the public something they don't understand but make it look wonderful.

Not Democracy, Mass trickery.
The people are looking at a future of being merely work units owned by corporate interests

A re run of the middle ages of Serfs and Masters
Is this what the Brexit voters voted for?
They have certainly been conned to the point of screaming for it.
Farage is just great isn't he? He's been banging on the same message for 20+ years and finally has hit some traction - and people like you just can't get your head around it.

• Disagree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Boris will get in - he will convince Farage of his intentions to do a real Brexit and Farage will fold the Brexit party. Boris will go to the people on a pro-Brexit ticket, win - implement Brexit with a big majority in Parliament - and we'll all live happily ever after.

Got it?
No explanation whatsoever. That is just your prediction.

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You started well, but it gradually went downhill from there.

The last phrase is obviously wrong:

The public are never happy with any government, they just have changing degrees of dissatisfaction.

And none of us live ever after.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
You started well, but it gradually went downhill from there.

The last phrase is obviously wrong:

The public are never happy with any government, they just have changing degrees of dissatisfaction.

And none of us live ever after.
Yes Flecc you've got me there.

Hey - who the fuc k knows.

But that's my guess for right now.

Reactions: flecc

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019

Got it?
You forgot to add the bit about all those Brexit voters who are living the champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget going bust. The job goes, the finance on the car is defaulted upon, the mortgage can’t be paid, the balance transfer deals on the plastic end and interest rates possible go up.

Then they all live to regret it. I don’t really care now. Fortunately, by a combination of good luck and hard work, I can financially insulate myself from all of the mayhem headed this way. I do feel guilty about having voted for Brexit, but I’ve admitted my error and done all I can to stop it, which is virtually nothing.

This isn’t going to end well. Boris’s lying and complete contempt for people such as you and I is plainly there for all to see, and multiple examples exist. It’s just that you and many others don’t want to look.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Got it?
You hope!. There is no likelihood that the new Parliament will be substantially different in Brexit terms than the current one. .. Maybe the Lib Dems have a few more seats, maybe Tories lose or gain a few more seats..it is hard to see any landslide.
I expect a No Deal Dropout Brexit with all that chaos,in October as the more probable outcome.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and 50Hertz

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So what? You think any explanation will help? It's all guess work! Nobody has a fcu king clue!

What's your guess?
Your post started with:

I simply pointed out that you did not provide any explanation. I didn't claim any superior ability to guess.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I expect a No Deal Dropout Brexit with all that chaos,in October as the more probable outcome.
I think you are correct and that is the only thing that the next PM can offer which is different to the current clusterfu**. It will probably be more of a trip, stumble through the exit door and fall on our backsides in the gutter type of departure rather than a planned and well managed event.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you are correct and that is the only thing that the next PM can offer which is different to the current clusterfu**. It will probably be more of a trip, stumble through the exit door and fall on our backsides in the gutter type of departure rather than a planned and well managed event.
I'n not so sure, consider these factors:

Over three quarters of MPs are not only very strongly against No Deal but also scared of the prospect and its consequences.

Although the country is evenly divided on Brexit, polls show two thirds are firmly against No Deal, since even Leave promised them a deal. Delivering no deal against the majority's wish would frighten the Tories even more.

If you doubt the fear, in view of how unpopular they are now, Tory MPs are already discussing the awful prospect of a general election returning almost none of their MPs to parliament. Some commentators are even citing when similar happened to a ruling party in Canada.

Boris Johnson is one of the most treacherous characters one can ever have the misfortune to know of. He has never had his heart in Brexit. Back in 2016 he refused to declare until Cameron declared for remain. Then Johnson chose Leave since he always meant to position himself as a rival for future PM position.

So having achieved that, I wouldn't put it past him to present a deal that is virtually May's in all but name, relying on his popularity and powers of persuasion to swing the vote in a way the unpopular Theresa May never could.

So a BRINO Brexit is still very much on the cards as being easily possible, don't bet against it.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Your post started with:

I simply pointed out that you did not provide any explanation. I didn't claim any superior ability to guess.
Well Smarty pants that depends on your definition of explain. I explained what would happen next. You want me to explain the explanation. Whatever.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Got it?
you are the one who hasn't "Got it"

Can't you read? I already posted what will happen, there will be no "all living happily," just mayhem
the only beneficiaries will be your squalid bunch of buddies from the ERG and Adam Smith Institute swindling hedge funds in the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So a BRINO Brexit is still very much on the cards as being easily possible, don't bet against it.
I fear we'll have no deal brexit for a while.
BJ won't be able to do a deal before November. He may as well let the deadline lapse, then say oops! sorry, but we are out!
Half the country will applaud him for resisting parliament.
He then starts serious negotiation with the EU, telling them not to worry about tariffs, the UK won't charge much and won't check the lorries coming to Dover anyway.
He'll accept to pay half to two third of the money we previously talked about for a free trade deal.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
I fear we'll have no deal brexit for a while.
BJ won't be able to do a deal before November. He may as well let the deadline lapse, then say oops! sorry, but we are out!
Half the country will applaud him for resisting parliament.
He then starts serious negotiation with the EU, telling them not to worry about tariffs, the UK won't charge much and won't check the lorries coming to Dover anyway.
He'll accept to pay half the money for a free trade deal.
I can see this happening too....When they thought we were coming out on the 29th of March, Portugal announced they would allow visa free travel, have a special lane at airports for the UK to avoid queues and keep free emergency health care. (as long as the UK did the same) a week later Spain said exactly the same. I even think if the EU Parliament told them they couldn't do this, they would do it anyway. It's only ever been the UK that has followed the rules in the past, other countries seem to ignore any rule the don't like and that has always been our problem.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 50Hertz and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Farage is just great isn't he? He's been banging on the same message for 20+ years and finally has hit some traction - and people like you just can't get your head around it.
Actually he is a menace and people like you unable to see that, what is going to change for the better when Farage's own words were

Brexit isn't going to solve any of our domestic problems?

Like your statements Brexit is worthless to the public, so who in fact are you working for, and why? what's in it for you personally?

Advertisers