Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Sage (of accounting software fame) have come to the rescue! We can all relax even with no-deal...

Brexit no-deal features- To give you peace of mind, we've built in functionality which can be switched on if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.
It burns the Books!

Seriously folks my ancestors had hundreds of years of dealing with this border nonsense.
Smuggling

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not as hopeless as might at first sight!. . I can see possibilities.
Unfortunately so can I
Things have got so bad I suggest we send Zlatan and Fingers to negotiate on our behalf
Now that is surely a bigger threat than No Deal ever was.
:oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I love the spin the Daily Mail uses
"
EU dismisses Boris Johnson's Brexit plans before they have even got off the ground as officials leak withering assessment of proposals to replace the Irish backstop
In what will be seen in Westminster as a hostile act, EU officials leaked a withering assessment of new British proposals to replace the controversial Irish backstop (top, Boris Johnson outside Downing Street yesterday). UK sources last night dismissed the assessment. But the decision to leak the document, which was circulated to ambassadors from the other 27 EU countries, will be seen as an attempt by European Commission hardliners to undermine talks which have been gathering momentum (bottom-left Angela Merkel and bottom-right Emmanuel Macron).

A couple of interesting points
Why does the term "Hostile act" apply to nonsensical proposals?
Why is this seen as a attempt to undermine talks by EU hardliners, when Boris made sure the proposals would be unacceptable?
After all he never wanted a deal did he?

And the Government say further proposals will be published next month....why the delay?
It's not as if there's any hurry is it?

Last edited:
  • Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
"
EU dismisses Boris Johnson's Brexit plans before they have even got off the ground as officials leak withering assessment of proposals to replace the Irish backstop
In what will be seen in Westminster as a hostile act, EU officials leaked a withering assessment of new British proposals to replace the controversial Irish backstop (top, Boris Johnson outside Downing Street yesterday). UK sources last night dismissed the assessment. But the decision to leak the document, which was circulated to ambassadors from the other 27 EU countries, will be seen as an attempt by European Commission hardliners to undermine talks which have been gathering momentum (bottom-left Angela Merkel and bottom-right Emmanuel Macron).

Why is this seen as a attempt to undermine talks by EU hardliners, when Boris made sure the proposals would be unacceptable?

And the Government say further proposals will be published next month....why the delay?

I doubt I am alone in feeling that a no-deal brexit could be considered a hostile act against the UK. There simply is NO majority for no-deal. (Has anyone identified even a single consitituency which appears to have a majority in favour of no-deal?) If the downside were properly understood, I suspect that even some who now seem to support no-deal would change their minds.

Of course, there might be some advantages, somewhere of no-deal. I am struggling to find any - even in a world awash with propaganda, I see precious little identifying positive aspects beyond slogans with little or no substance.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It burns the Books!

Seriously folks my ancestors had hundreds of years of dealing with this border nonsense.
Smuggling
One way or another, anything that permits, even encourages, significantly different regimes in physical proximity will tend to increase smuggling.

Even now, there are differences betweenc EU countries which result in trades which are questioned by some. One example, B12 ampoules for injection are over-the-counter in Germany but prescription-only in the UK. There is, therefore, a considerable volume of personal importation by those who need it. Legal - for personal use - yes. But exploiting a difference. Some say that Germany should not be allowed to sell prescription-only medicines to the UK without prescription. They are not alllowed to sell products which are prescription-only in Germany to the UK.

(Crazier still, these B12 ampoules are only prescription-only if you need them. If used as a general feel-better injection without any health claims, often available from beauty salons, they are not prescription-only. Exactly the same product - same ampoules.)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
we'll stop paying the EU, at least for a while.
Instead of shared costs for many things, we will have to fund our own. One example, medicines. European Medicines Agency is able to authorise medicines for the EU. Now we will have to authorise each medicine ourselves with whatever costs are involved. Just take the ludicrous idea that small countries could afford to do that - Malta? Or that we could do that for low-volume orphan drugs.

The costs of the MHRA resuming total responsibility will be significant.

The costs of implementing enhanced border management even just for commercial traffic will be significant.

Keep going through all the various areas which currently spread costs over 28 countries.

All that on top of the absolutely gigantic costs of brexit - so far.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I doubt I am alone in feeling that a no-deal brexit could be considered a hostile act against the UK. There simply is NO majority for no-deal. (Has anyone identified even a single consitituency which appears to have a majority in favour of no-deal?) If the downside were properly understood, I suspect that even some who now seem to support no-deal would change their minds.

Of course, there might be some advantages, somewhere of no-deal. I am struggling to find any - even in a world awash with propaganda, I see precious little identifying positive aspects beyond slogans with little or no substance.
Unless you have offshore banking tax swindles or run a Hedge fund, then it must appear tempting, especially as those in that situation can always flee the country when the ordure hits the proverbial fan.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Instead of shared costs for many things, we will have to fund our own. One example, medicines. European Medicines Agency is able to authorise medicines for the EU. Now we will have to authorise each medicine ourselves with whatever costs are involved. Just take the ludicrous idea that small countries could afford to do that - Malta? Or that we could do that for low-volume orphan drugs.

The costs of the MHRA resuming total responsibility will be significant.

The costs of implementing enhanced border management even just for commercial traffic will be significant.

Keep going through all the various areas which currently spread costs over 28 countries.

All that on top of the absolutely gigantic costs of brexit - so far.
brexiters will say that we'll control how the money is spent.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
When Lady Hale said something like "as soon as humanly possible", do you think that included working over the weekend? That is, could the result of the case be sooner than might otherwise have been expected?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

There are truckloads of money to be made for some (opening up uk market, less consumer protection, workers rights, privatisation of nhs), the kind of money that makes for serious disinformation by very big capital, we are in a sense an enormous low hanging fruit.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
"

Interesting point.

Interesting points are so judged by the reader not the author and they are not couched as questions.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016

There was no majority to stay.

There was no majority for Mays deal.

There was only a majority to leave.

Reactions: Zlatan and daveboy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When Lady Hale said something like "as soon as humanly possible", do you think that included working over the weekend? That is, could the result of the case be sooner than might otherwise have been expected?
They already have their answer, the only reason for delay is to write their judgment in full, always a lengthy exercise.

Advertisers