Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Corbyn is so over the top the Tories dont have to say anything about his latest outburst. (manifesto?)
IFS have already labelled his finances ridiculous and unachievable.
They are saying to pay for all his spending 95% of tax payers will be hit and not just the top 10% as labour are claiming.
What is he doing?

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I think the best we can hope for is a Tory minority government winning support by agreeing to a second referendum, which will hopefully return a remain result. Then another GE giving us a Tory government. Anything but Labour, pissing away other people’s stuff.

• Disagree
Reactions: daveboy and Fingers

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think the best we can hope for is a Tory minority government winning support by agreeing to a second referendum, which will hopefully return a remain result. Then another GE giving us a Tory government. Anything but Labour, pissing away other people’s stuff.
Whatever government - without the serial adulterer and continuous liar anywhere near.

(I say "serial", but perhaps he is actually a parallel offender?)

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Why isn’t Nigel Farage on QT tonight?
He featured on Tues at 10pm 'The ITV Election Interviews'

Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson, Scottish National Party leader Nicola Sturgeon, Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage and Green Party co-leader Sian Berry join Nina Hossain for live political interviews

or was it 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here!' ;)

• :D
Reactions: oyster

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
After everything the tories inflicted - maggie, deregulation,blair, iraq,cameron, brexit - you're back for more? Even by English standards, that's Olympic levels of masochism

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You know what, I, m beginning to agree with Flecc. Perhaps it is time to give Labour a go.
At least Corbyn is being radical. It probably is high time we spent record levels of money on infrastructure, social care, housing, education and health care. He hasnt included 4 day week so thats a blessing. So what if sale of all those second homes lowers house prices, that might even benefit some.
?????????

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Ripe for redeveloping with Council Houses

There might even be a few quid to start the groundworks...

Buckingham Palace to undergo 'essential' £370m refurbishment

This article is more than 3 years old

Labour and SNP politicians question why the Queen is gettting so much more money at a time of austerity

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/18/buckingham-palace-to-undergo-370m-refurbishment

Maybe it could form the basis of a district heating system?

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
You know what, I, m beginning to agree with Flecc. Perhaps it is time to give Labour a go.
Nooooooo. Have you gone insane man?

We do need to spend money on all of those things that you list, but only money that’s affordable. Corbyn is planning to borrow the money, which they will then squander on committees, focus groups, inclusion units and all sorts of other nonsense. We will end up with nothing except a massive debt which will consume the entire government revenue just servicing interest payments. The IFS have stated that the numbers don’t make sense. Labour is an option infinitely more dangerous than Brexit alone.

We need to start from the ground upwards by building businesses and industry to generate the funds to pay for all of this. Anything less is total insanity.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

We do need to spend money on all of those things that you list, but only money that’s affordable. Corbyn is planning to borrow the money which they will squander on committees, focus groups, inclusion units and all sorts of other nonsense. We will end up with nothing except a massive debt which will consume the entire government revenue just servicing interest payments.

We need to start from the ground upwards by building businesses and industry to generate the funds to pay for all of this. Anything less is total insanity.
"affordable" as defined by offshore corporations, investors in tax havens and multiple property owners who want to pay as little tax as possible, and don't give a damn about much other than self interest. That's called unenlightened self interest. it results in **** short sighted self destructive misjudgements like Brexit. id have thought our present fiasco would have made that penny drop???

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
"affordable" as defined by offshore corporations, investors in tax havens and multiple property owners who want to pay as little tax as possible, and don't give a damn about much other than self interest. That's called unenlightened self interest. it results in **** short sighted self destructive misjudgements like Brexit. id have thought our present fiasco would have made that penny drop???
Agreed, we should be going after those people and making them pay, but that alone won’t fund Labour‘s spending orgy. Labour will reduce inequality by bankrupting everyone and then we can all use the food banks together.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Agreed, we should be going after those people and making them pay, but that alone won’t fund Labour‘s spending orgy. Labour will reduce inequality by bankrupting everyone and then we can all use the food banks together.
there's a curates egg in here somewhere. its a bit like blaming labour spending for the 08 crash when we all know it was caused by deregulation that allowed banks to engage in hedge fund trading (i.e. the Tories). with respect, you are perpetuating the same myth. Dianne abbot as foreign secretary triggers some generalised anxiety, but her stupidity will be as nothing compared to the malicious damage boris, reese mogg et all will do if given control

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

We do need to spend money on all of those things that you list, but only money that’s affordable. Corbyn is planning to borrow the money, which they will then squander on committees, focus groups, inclusion units and all sorts of other nonsense. We will end up with nothing except a massive debt which will consume the entire government revenue just servicing interest payments. The IFS have stated that the numbers don’t make sense. Labour is an option infinitely more dangerous than Brexit alone.

Pardon me for asking, since when were the Conservatives interested in building up businesses and industry?
do you really think think they invented Brexit for that purpose, rather than for asset stripping and protection of offshore tax evasion rackets?
They are a million miles worse than Labour could ever be to the economy, and the biggest borrowers for spaffing up the wall to coin one of Boris's phrase.
They borrow money to invest in their friends.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
there's a curates egg in here somewhere. its a bit like blaming labour spending for the 08 crash when we all know it was caused by deregulation that allowed banks to engage in hedge fund trading (i.e. the Tories). with respect, you are perpetuating the same myth. Dianne abbot as foreign secretary triggers some generalised anxiety, but her stupidity will be as nothing compared to the malicious damage boris, reese mogg et all will do if given control
Curate’s egg. I’d never heard that before and had to look it up. I’ll nick that off you, if you don’t mind. Nice one.

Reactions: jonathan.agnew

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Pardon me for asking, since when were the Conservatives interested in building up businesses and industry?
do you really think think they invented Brexit for that purpose, rather than for asset stripping and protection of offshore tax evasion rackets?
They are a million miles worse than Labour could ever be to the economy, and the biggest borrowers for spaffing up the wall to coin one of Boris's phrase.
They borrow money to invest in their friends.
‘I don’t know what to say. There is a lot of truth in the above, and equally, if you remove someof my deliberate exaggeration, truth in what I say. The outlook is bleak, very bleak.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Main reason I voted Brexit was after driving around Europe, specifically France, I came to conclusion we were getting a raw deal. We are, but its not at hands of EU. I was wrong.
France spends 30% of GDP (approx 500 billion euros) per year on social care. They seem to be competing quite well with us???
Yes, aspects of Corbyn frighten me. His marxist tendencies, I even agree he, s anti semitic. But his spending on Health, Education, etc etc will only make the cost on par with many other EU countries.
I think the rich may dessert us but thats their business. We have a moral duty to at least try and reduce our growing financial inbalance. Will Boris and Smogg? Nope.
Look in our Schools, on our roads, in our hospitals, talk to social workers, talk to prison officers they are all desperately short of cash.
Then look at the Rooneys, Zoe Balls, Tess Daleys, etc etc earning millions and doing feck all,and actually taking part in tax avoidance scams.The tax Rooney and Carr avoided would have kept a hundred folk on welfare. We dont accuse those of being a burden on country,just those out of work or luck (or living in Barnsley)
Yes, Corbyn might bankrupt us. Parts of our country and society are already there.
Let him spend some cash. The country needs it.
Notice Prince Andrew's costs to country are all ignored. The financial and moral ones. Wonder how many doctors his wages would pay?

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We do need to spend money on all of those things that you list, but only money that’s affordable.
Our system is set up so that most of us have to work our 40 hours a week for £8.21 an hour or not much more. That is supposed to be sufficient incentive to motivate a workforce of millions.

Whereas those who, apparently, were born entrepreneurs or lucky inheritors, are only motivated by returns so staggeringly large newspapers spend much time trying to assess how much they are worth. This, of course, is defined as affordable.

Let's face it, making money seems almost entirely based on establishing monopolies and oligopolies - not anything super-amazing in the development and brains departments.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Why would it bankrupt us 50?

Screenshot_20191122_081211.jpg

I will be voting Corbyn and that is not in spite of his manifesto, its because of it. Its actually in spite ofCorbyn himself. I dont think he, s sincere, its a con, I dont like what he stands for and he hasnt led his party well. He has displayed anti semitism and his links to "terror groups" is wrong.
I like this manifesto though.

Last edited:

Advertisers