Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I wonder why no one points out the Glaringly obvious conclusion that the very fact that May refers to the need to avoid a "Cliff edge" proves that in fact what comes after Brexit is obviously a far worse operating level for the economy and that lowering us down to it, is simply intended to reduce the public anger, an unacceptable thing to do when there is no good reason for committing the nation to so self harming an act.
Before you do that, tell the people the truth of what's in store. and ask if that is still what they want, this time with a proper two thirds in favour rather than first past the post.
After all that's what Farage and Davis wanted.
Othewise in their words "It will be unfinished Business"

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I wonder why no one points out the Glaringly obvious conclusion that the very fact that May refers to the need to avoid a "Cliff edge" proves that in fact what comes after Brexit is obviously a far worse operating level for the economy and that lowering us down to it, is simply intended to reduce the public anger, an unacceptable thing to do when there is no good reason for committing the nation to so self harming an act.
Before you do that, tell the people the truth of what's in store. and ask if that is still what they want, this time with a proper two thirds in favour rather than first past the post.
After all that's what Farage and Davis wanted.
Othewise in their words "It will be unfinished Business"
even if we get our lovely fellow brexit citizens to swallow their pride and acknowledge they've made a mistake of collosal magnitude, there is the matter of Europe, the recent panorama programme about the way citizens and governments of eu countries feel about brexit and the uk (begrudged would be putting to very mildly), we're in a dilemma there is no getting out of. I think may is behaving like a terrible stage magician who hopes the audience will play along with what's becoming a dreadful performance.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
even if we get our lovely fellow brexit citizens to swallow their pride and acknowledge they've made a mistake of collosal magnitude, there is the matter of Europe, the recent panorama programme about the way citizens and governments of eu countries feel about brexit and the uk (begrudged would be putting to very mildly), we're in a dilemma there is no getting out of. I think may is behaving like a terrible stage magician who hopes the audience will play along with what's becoming a dreadful performance.
May as a sort of "Tommy Cooper? Magician?
"Just like that....like that!" sort of thing?
Even off stage, he liked to lark around and would often hand taxi-drivers an envelope as he said cheerily: "Have a drink on me". Inside, they would find a tea-bag.

She's more like Rod Hull and Emu, Famous for doing a sketch of climbing up on top of BBC house to adjust the TV aerial.
Then doing the same thing on the roof of his own house and falling off killing himself.
Very sad, I rather liked his Anarchic Humour, or was it the Emu's? :eek:

Perhaps we could try to pretend there has been a pandemic of "BorisJohnsonitis" that has run through the population, but we promise it won't happen again?
And hope they have a sense of humour? :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: derf and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"She also set out the first stage of her much-anticipated industrial strategy, promising to invest an extra 2 billion pounds ($2.5 billion) per year by 2020 in research and development, including a new Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund to back technologies such as robotics and biotechnology.

If we can do all that with 2 billion pounds, we obviously have discovered how to work miracles in the order of feeding the multitude with five loaves of bread and two fishes.
This level of faith is just what the Brexit voters want to hear, along the lines
of Google creating 3000 new jobs.
(But don't mention the fact that they won't be paying any taxes)

As Arthur Daley would say "The world is your lobster Mr's May!"

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"
PM faces fury after hinting at 'transitional' Brexit deal to appease City firms that could see us tied to the EU for YEARS
Here is a typical comment from a Brexit voter
"before the eu it was the eec, we used world trade tariffs to trade we were the richest country in europe we had no trade deficit we sold 3 times more to them out means out no ifs no buts world trade tariffs, their good to us as ours to them as they sell masive more goods to us they will want a deal we can demand what is so complicated about that

They apparently have no knowledge of History, the IMF loans and us being known a "The sick man of Europe"
Note also the impressive command of the language.

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I see Tony Blair is looking to return to UK politics and is looking for premises.....I think Traitor's Gate in the Tower is available!!!!
KudosDave
May seems to diluting Brexit or was that just for the CBI?
I wonder how long it will be before some brave MP's say the thinkable but unspeakable and finally question whether we should be aiming for NO BREXIT or is that political suicide?
2nd referendum?
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
"
PM faces fury after hinting at 'transitional' Brexit deal to appease City firms that could see us tied to the EU for YEARS
Here is a typical comment from a Brexit voter
"before the eu it was the eec, we used world trade tariffs to trade we were the richest country in europe we had no trade deficit we sold 3 times more to them out means out no ifs no buts world trade tariffs, their good to us as ours to them as they sell masive more goods to us they will want a deal we can demand what is so complicated about that

They apparently have no knowledge of History, the IMF loans and us being known a "The sick man of Europe"
Note also the impressive command of the language.
The Brexit voter is not strong on English nor pronunciation!
.....perhaps Nigel Farage will be the pied Piper on December 5.....leading 100,000 out of the city,via Weatherspoons to Beachy Head.
KudosDave

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I see Tony Blair is looking to return to UK politics and is looking for premises.....I think Traitor's Gate in the Tower is available!!!!
KudosDave
May seems to diluting Brexit or was that just for the CBI?
I wonder how long it will be before some brave MP's say the thinkable but unspeakable and finally question whether we should be aiming for NO BREXIT or is that political suicide?
2nd referendum?
KudosDave
She's certainly got the Daily Mail and Express readers up in arms!
Interestingly not one of them disputed that there is a "cliff" we will be going over, though that may of course be because they don't understand how the economy works, or perhaps even more likely don't care.
They just don't like the idea of being cheated out of something "The people have democratically spoken for"
Perhaps we who voted for remain are not People? and of course those who didn't vote they regard as having no rights anyway.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Brexit voter is not strong on English nor pronunciation!
.....perhaps Nigel Farage will be the pied Piper on December 5.....leading 100,000 out of the city,via Weatherspoons to Beachy Head.
KudosDave
Then hopefully to infinity and beyond? :rolleyes:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Interesting stats from the Mail

As always the devil is in the detail, has there been a massive increase in output and exports?
Well no actually
The deficit on trade in goods was £12.7 billion in September 2016, widening by £1.6 billion from August 2016. This widening reflected a decrease in exports of £0.2 billion to £26.1 billion and an increase in imports of £1.3 billion to a record £38.8 billion. There were increases in imports of ships, material manufactures, road vehicles and oil.

The robust economic growth comes after strong employment figures, lower than expected inflation data and surging retail figures from the high street.
In other words the figures show only consumers are spending while they feel they still can, possibly to beat inevitable inflation from the lower value of the pound.
Another "Gee Whiz!" graph, and there will be a lot more where that came from to confuse the less cognizant.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and derf

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Keep your friends close, your enemies closer.
He's no friend.
whoever thought politics was contrived and manipulative under the professional Westminster elite, or Hillarie's before is in for a master class in dishonest self promotion. we live in a bizarre time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Donald tells us who we thinks should be our next prime minister (probably farage) and we accept it.

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
in the last few days I have detected a change re Brexit.
It was democratic convention that all politicians preceded any Brexit conversation with 'we accept the vote but need a view to the form'.
But recently some MP's have started to be brave and say 'we don't accept the referendum vote,much has changed since and we need to rethink whether Brexit is a good idea.
The hard Brexiters,60 of them,have sent a letter to May,to forget the court case and get on with Brexit,they are clearly worried that Brexit seems to be losing momentum. The anti Brexiters,mainly labour MP's,90 of them have openly stated they will vote against Article 50, there are a large number of Tory rebels who would be tempted to vote against.
The battle lines are starting to be drawn,before Article 50 is triggered,I think there will be a big battle,without democratic convention,the House of Lords will gain confidence to delay and disrupt. The momentum moving away from Brexit means time is on the side of the anti Brexiters.
Branson with his new anti Brexit initiative has detected the movement away from Brexit.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Theresa May seems to be reverting to true Tory,talking about corporation tax down below Osbornes 17%, 15% maybe.
Grants and tax relief to tech r&d.
Abandoning the workers on boards idea.
As yet I don't see much of the 'party for everyone'? .....If Hammond doesn't reverse the benefits cuts,the average JAM household will soon be £700 per year worse off,not counting Brexit inflation.
Maybe she is double dealing....using Brexit as a smokescreen to return to true Tory.....'man from Hartlepool' wouldn't dare complain about Brexit hardship,after all he voted for Brexit wealth.....just difficult to see where May is heading to improve the lifestyle for everyone.
In the short term the ability for industry to ramp up prices under the excuse of Brexit is a wonderful opportunity.
KudosDave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
She watched the Turk president rise to power...

Very soon the Tungsten Lady will be bringing everything the Iron Lady could not bring to the UK. Imagine, rust free too... :eek:

Reactions: flecc and robdon

Advertisers