Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Labour will be back, but not this lot.

Their return is likely to be between 10 and 20 years time.
Not in my estimation, I suspect this government won't last the five year term and will end up in disgrace.
Too many promises broken, too many lies exposed and they are vulnerable as hell to both the EU and USA.
And too little talent and competence to survive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Remember these all round London:
Indeed, all over the country in fact, attached to railway stations

Scammell Mechanical Horse, very conventionally powered though, Ford Ten side valve car engine, only 30bhp and very low geared for town speeds.

Given the climate situation, we could see their like return using electric power to locally deliver goods and large packages transported by electric rail. One way to reduce today's long distance diesel trucking.

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not in my estimation, I suspect this government won't last the five year term and will end up in disgrace.
Too many promises broken, too many lies exposed and they are vulnerable as hell to both the EU and USA.
I agree their failure will begin to show before ten years, but perhaps not enough. The country won't be ready to reverse Brexit then and Labour may still not be able to take over.

I see a future Tory vunerability as the turning point. They've taken in a large number of Northern ex Labour Leavers to get into power, but they are the older generation who'll be dying off.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Am wondering if Javid's "no alignment" statement implies that UK prescriptions will no longer be accepted in EU27? I have always assumed that would be the end result, but trying to think through if this statement actually confirms it.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Mmmm something fishy

Nominees - Free Press Awards 2019 > https://www.freepressunlimited.org/en/nominees-free-press-awards-2019

Has Tommy claimed polical assylum in Myanmar and changed his name?!?!
Tommy was welcomed to the Parliament of Denmark by Danish MP Marie Krarup of the Dansk Folkeparti. She noted that threats from Antifa mandated that the awards ceremony had to be in a high-security facility.

Marie Krarup herself tweeted a photograph of Tommy at the award ceremony.

Tommy thanked the Danish parliament for allowing him to speak compared with the Czech government who invited him but had to cancel the event due to threats of violence. It's an hour long including video clips of his critics but I think it will be worthwhile listening.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Tommy was welcomed to the Parliament of Denmark by Danish MP Marie Krarup of the Dansk Folkeparti. She noted that threats from Antifa mandated that the awards ceremony had to be in a high-security facility.

Tommy thanked the Danish parliament for allowing him to speak compared with the Czech government who invited him but had to cancel the event due to threats of violence. It's an hour long including video clips of his critics but I think it will be worthwhile listening.

You do realise "International Free Press Society" is just a group of anti-muslim writers and politicians that make Farage seem like a benevolent kind of chap....

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Boris boobs again in the Telegraph
"
Boris Johnson on collision course with big business groups as aides plan to ditch two-year hiatus before new immigration rules
Under radical new plans being drawn up by the Prime Minister's aides, the Government would effectively bring forward its post-Brexit immigration shake-up by two years - removing a temporary extension of the current rules until 2023, that had been demanded by business groups and promised by Theresa May.

The proposals are expected to be presented to the Cabinet this week by Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, as part of a paper on the UK's future immigration system.

• Informative
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And in the Express get ready to cheer!
"
Boris’s Brexit boom plan: Worldwide trade deals by end of 2020 unveiled
BORIS Johnson has revealed his bold new vision for Brexit Britain, with plans for trade deals around the world by the end of the year. The decision to press ahead with trade talks with the US, Japan, Australia and New Zealand underlines the Prime Minister’s vision for a Global Britain.

I believe in magic is the new national anthem

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hypocrisy alert:

Johnson to cabinet: shape up or I’ll sack you within weeks
Top ministers are warned to stay off TV with reshuffle alert part of plan by Dominic Cummings

Does that include Have I got News For You? Or only serious places where they could actually have a vestige of a meaningful interaction with the people they supposedly represent?

A PM who has to sack multiple ministers is not likely to receive adulation.

I'll quote a short paragraph from Wiki:

In the 1962 cabinet reshuffle known as the 'Night of the Long Knives', Macmillan sacked eight Ministers, including Selwyn Lloyd. The Cabinet changes were widely seen as a sign of panic, and the young Liberal MP Jeremy Thorpe said of Macmillan's dismissals 'greater love hath no man than this, than to lay down his friends for his life'. Macmillan was openly criticised by his predecessor Lord Avon, an almost unprecedented act.

I can't help thinking that a Profumo affair de nos jours would resonate as the headline reason for the failure of BJ.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
In the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/18/boris-johnson-warns-cabinet-shape-up-or-be-sacked

This is all very well, but who can sack Cummings and Boris?
Note that he is effectively imposing a News Blackout by keeping his gang off TV

This lot are behaving like an occupying power not an elected Government.
Things will be done in secret against our communal best interests.
I like your post enough that while you were posting it, I was posting my take on the same story. :)

If we had an opposition worthy of the name, they would have an open goal.

I shall not be surprised if the politicians of S, NI and W do take advantage of this situation.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I think everyone will agree with your assessment of the present government. However, as if it were possible, people view Labour policy and competence as being even worse. The proof of that was in the G.E. result. People know BJ is a liar, that his track record is not good and that he is surrounded by some undesirable people, but they find Labour’s vision and first team lineup so appallingly unattractive, that they vote for the poorly performing liar. It’s the better option in their eyes.

Labour have not yet realised this. They are blaming the voters for not liking them and believe that if they insult and patronise them enough, whilst regurgitating the same policy, they will come around. They can’t get to grips with the fact that no one wants their ideas.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Labour have not yet realised this. They are blaming the voters for not liking them and believe that if they insult and patronise them enough, whilst regurgitating the same policy, they will come around. They can’t get to grips with the fact that no one wants their ideas.
Labour party gives the impression that it has been taken over by Momentum, Unite and the trio: Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott.
Until that lot is replaced, Labour is not going anywhere.

Advertisers