Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No matter how you view it Brexit is on probation with the public, and it's going to be a monumental task to keep them enthusiastic, and an even bigger one verging on the impossible to win back acceptance among the majority that voted for remain.
It isn't hard to see which faction will increase, and which change sides.
For Brexit the writing is on the wall and only a miracle can save it even in the short to medium term.
Had we a government that was competent and truthful and resolute it might have stood a chance.
Never was so much power to do harm placed into such incompetent hands as we collectively have done without us being invaded by a mortal enemy, and under military occupation.

Arguably Putin found a way to do that without firing a shot in anger.

Reactions: POLLY

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Three years is more than long enough for even the dumbest voter to realise that they were wrong about Brexit and Labour and happily vote for them.
No I am not living in a bubble, I am not actually a Labour supporter to the extent that you imagine I am.
The trend is obvious, for after all if people were stupid enough to vote for Boris.
They can be induced to vote for literally anything.
Logic isn't involved, it is all about the power of protest.
Brexit simply has to be a roaring success, anything less is doom for the Conservatives, and they know that.
So now we will have News blackouts where things go wrong, and only projects that can be sold to the public to inspire patriotic enthusiasm will see the light of day.

As an example Boris is according to The Times and Sunday Times set to back HS2 in Defiance of Fuhrer Cummings.
It's Germany in the 1930's time all over again., but with Charlie Chaplin as the great dictator
View attachment 33847
So supposing country accepts your message and decides they will vote against Tories next time. In that case next time is in 5 years not 3. Tories will only call for an election in 3 under full knowledge they will win it. Only very weak governments or those certain of winning call early elections.
Besides, your argument still only holds any sense if Labour have become somehow electable.
But like I said a few posts back, put your money behind your claims. You arent taking my bet. Wake up OG. No matter how bad next 3 years are we have Tories for minimum 5 and as things stand 8, 10 or indefinitely.
Please inform us of mechanics of bringing an 80 seat majority down. Its never happened yet.
By the way. Corbyn not Putin provided incentive to vote for Boris. You are like Labour. Never learn, never change. Carry on dreaming.
Protesting bringing an 80 seat majority government down. You are mad. Like I said, you dont understand our "democracy".
All the miners, steel workers and bulk of haulage couldnt touch Thatcher. She got stronger, destroyed unions and took coountry to war and still kept in power. You underestimate theTories,just as Labour have done.
Labour are weaker than any time in their history. You are making silly arguments simply representing your own isolated situation. Got to face facts OG. Labour are dead. Tories are in power for next 10 years no matter how good or bad Brexit is.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Three years is more than long enough for even the dumbest voter to realise that they were wrong about Brexit and Labour and happily vote for them.
No I am not living in a bubble, I am not actually a Labour supporter to the extent that you imagine I am.
The trend is obvious, for after all if people were stupid enough to vote for Boris.
They can be induced to vote for literally anything.
Logic isn't involved, it is all about the power of protest.
Brexit simply has to be a roaring success, anything less is doom for the Conservatives, and they know that.
So now we will have News blackouts where things go wrong, and only projects that can be sold to the public to inspire patriotic enthusiasm will see the light of day.

As an example Boris is according to The Times and Sunday Times set to back HS2 in Defiance of Fuhrer Cummings.
It's Germany in the 1930's time all over again., but with Charlie Chaplin as the great dictator
View attachment 33847
I believe people know they were wrong about Brexit and the know full well what the Tories are. They understand perfectly.

In full knowledge of the above, people still view Labour as an even worse alternative, and rightly so in my opinion. That’s the bit Labour didn’t get and still don’t get. This is why Long-Bailey is one of their front runners for leader. It’s very very funny, I’m lapping up the Labour comedy show. There is only Starmer who has actually done anything remotely approaching a real job, and this is supposed be the party of those with a job! The others are hopeless to the point of hilarity. With each day that passes, Labour make the Tory grip on power ever more secure. Never in a million years will the current crop of retards win an election.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So supposing country accepts your message and decides they will vote against Tories next time. In that case next time is in 5 years not 3. Tories will only call for an election in 3 under full knowledge they will win it. Only very weak governments or those certain of winning call early elections.
Besides, your argument still only holds any sense if Labour have become somehow electable.
But like I said a few posts back, put your money behind your claims. You arent taking my bet. Wake up OG. No matter how bad next 3 years are we have Tories for minimum 5 and as things stand 8, 10 or indefinitely.
Please inform us of mechanics of bringing an 80 seat majority down. Its never happened yet.
By the way. Corbyn not Putin provided incentive to vote for Boris. You are like Labour. Never learn, never change. Carry on dreaming.
Protesting bringing an 80 seat majority government down. You are mad. Like I said, you dont understand our "democracy".
All the miners, steel workers and bulk of haulage couldnt touch Thatcher. She got stronger, destroyed unions and took coountry to war and still kept in power. You underestimate theTories,just as Labour have done.
Labour are weaker than any time in their history. You are making silly arguments simply representing your own isolated situation. Got to face facts OG. Labour are dead. Tories are in power for next 10 years no matter how good or bad Brexit is.
First I never bet,Second no government has ever faced such an uphill struggle, and an 80 majority gained in a single election can be lost in the same way

Reactions: oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
First I never bet,Second no government has ever faced such an uphill struggle, and an 80 majority gained in a single election can be lost in the same way
Only in an election and only then if there is somebody else to vote for.
Governments with majorities of 3 can be forced into elections, as Callaghan's was. A Government with an 80 majority decides when election is. Even if a vote of no confidence gets through(which it never would) the vote would always give Boris a win.. But it cant even get that far.
What can Labour offer in 5 years? Supppose Brexit fails miserably and mood changes for us to return... Tories will offer anything to keep power. They prove everytime both the party and individuals are willing to change.
You forget quite conveniently Corbyn was/is more Eurosceptic than any Tory.
Even if country decides they wish to return it will be Tories offering it.
You can see it now. "our party didnt actually want to leave, our Party leader resigned in face of Brexit, and Labour supported leaving throughout".
Tories wipe the floor with current Labour at every turn. There is nothing to suggest that will change, infact its getting worse.
I said years ago the referendum result was democratically enforceable. You scoffed at it. Its been proven to be case. We are leaving. If, when left, returning becomes democratically enforeceable Tories will offer it. At moment they dont need to.
You and Flecc have been proved wrong over everything you said about Labour. (playing long game, boxing clever, dont want to inherit Brexit mess)
Thing is they missed their golden moment. They wont get another chance. They are a spent force. Dead.
I cant see them ever offering a credible alternative. Too many like you, Flecc, Corbyn and the likes. Stuck in past with high ideals but flawed logic.
The country will want Tories even if Brexit fails over our current hypocritical false labour.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Parties can break apart resulting in loss of effective majority without any changes at all in elected members. BJ managed to get rid of quite a few in the last parliament so he well knows how to remove a majority.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I believe the point being made is that with these 80 votes in the HoC ,there is no requirement for an election until the full term has elapsed ,and no mechanism to force one.. irrespective of how dire the economy becomes.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I believe the point being made is that with these 80 votes in the HoC ,there is no requirement for an election until the full term has elapsed ,and no mechanism to force one.. irrespective of how dire the economy becomes.
Technically, there is at least one way - multiple recall petitions. One (failed) in 2018. Two were passed last year. Might be exceedingly unlikely, but...

Fiona Onasanya (Independent, elected as Labour)
Christopher Davies (Conservative)

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Governments with majorities of 3 can be forced into elections, as Callaghan's was. A Government with an 80 majority decides when election is. Even if a vote of no confidence gets through(which it never would) the vote would always give Boris a win.. But it cant even get that far.
What can Labour offer in 5 years? Supppose Brexit fails miserably and mood changes for us to return... Tories will offer anything to keep power. They prove everytime both the party and individuals are willing to change.
You forget quite conveniently Corbyn was/is more Eurosceptic than any Tory.
Even if country decides they wish to return it will be Tories offering it.
You can see it now. "our party didnt actually want to leave, our Party leader resigned in face of Brexit, and Labour supported leaving throughout".
Tories wipe the floor with current Labour at every turn. There is nothing to suggest that will change, infact its getting worse.
I said years ago the referendum result was democratically enforceable. You scoffed at it. Its been proven to be case. We are leaving. If, when left, returning becomes democratically enforeceable Tories will offer it. At moment they dont need to.
You and Flecc have been proved wrong over everything you said about Labour. (playing long game, boxing clever, dont want to inherit Brexit mess)
Thing is they missed their golden moment. They wont get another chance. They are a spent force. Dead.
I cant see them ever offering a credible alternative. Too many like you, Flecc, Corbyn and the likes. Stuck in past with high ideals but flawed logic.
The country will want Tories even if Brexit fails over our current hypocritical false labour.
Nothing I have said about labour has been proved wrong. I made no claims for them at any time.
And you seem wound up in some mad masochistic view that the end of the world is nigh.
The referendum result was ADVISORY
And YOU voted for it remember?
I really don't see why you aren't leaping about in delight like Tommie.
What's your problem? trying to find someone else to blame?

I'm not, this is going exactly as I expected and I said what would happen, let me predict again.
Johnson will go for BRINO (though I would prefer a no deal Brexit in the interest of destroying this mad project of Brexit and getting back into the EU much more quickly.)

No matter what he does we will end up back in EU membership, it will all have been for nothing.

Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Technically, there is at least one way - multiple recall petitions. One (failed) in 2018. Two were passed last year. Might be exceedingly unlikely, but...

Fiona Onasanya (Independent, elected as Labour)
Christopher Davies (Conservative)
Are you suggesting that Tory MPs are 4 times more prone to run foul of the law than other political parties?. .. because that is what would be required in order for such a strategy to work

Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Happy Brexit Eve, everyone!

View attachment 33848
Are you going to give a countdown to the first promise made being honoured? you can start with minus one, as Boris has confirmed there will be customs checks on your little corner of the EU.
You have to laugh, he's broken Gove's promise after one day!

HAPPY BREXIT EVE TOMMIE! WE'LL MISS YOU WHEN WE LEAVE THE EU AND YOU DON'T!

Imagine celebrating having been literally jilted at the altar as Northern Ireland has!
What a fate dumped as being a nuisance Boris has no time for.
You hero Conservative party will have to drop the suffix "And Unionist Party"

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Are you suggesting that Tory MPs are 4 times more prone to run foul of the law than other political parties?. .. because that is what would be required in order for such a strategy to work
As in the lot of them should already be facing court proceedings over the leave campaign?
Droll.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What will count is how dire public opinion becomes.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Express
HS2 POLL: Are you happy with Boris Johnson spending £106 billion on HS2? VOTE HERE

Just voted, so far 81% are not happy

Another "Nota good start Boris" moment
The readers comments are skathing

Reactions: POLLY and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What an odd headline in the Independent
And it is FAKE NEWS TOO!
"
Boris Johnson news – live: Remain and Leave voters urged to unite on eve of Brexit ‘dark day’, as controversial HS2 project gets unexpected boost

Dark day? and this from Boris?
No it wasn't
"Liberal Democrat acting leader Sir Ed Davey is urging Remain voters to come together with the rest of the country after Britain’s “dark day” on Friday, as the UK prepares to leave the EU at 11pm.

Time the press learned to make accurate reports

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
By the way. Corbyn not Putin provided incentive to vote for Boris.
I can agree with that.
I could not understand why Corbyn wanted an election before Jan 31st.
Maybe he was pressured by Unite's boss.

Reactions: Zlatan

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
.. Not really, the actual date will be 31st December 2020. What you are confusing is the date at which the UK can unilaterally back off. , .....Which is approximately 34 hrs away.
Kind of a Clint Eastwood moment, .. Ask yourself can you count, are you feeling lucky?.
Oh dear Dan, looks like you`ve come down with a severe case of Denial!
Let me try and help...
noun
noun: denial
  1. the action of denying something.

Denial is a coping mechanism that gives you time to adjust to distressing situations — but staying in denial can interfere with treatment or your ability to tackle challenges. If you're in denial, you're trying to protect yourself by refusing to accept the truth about something that's happening in your life
there you go, please pay attention to the underlined text!

Advertisers