Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
What will count is how dire public opinion becomes.
Oh, so public opinion can bring a government down now. Just tell us how OG.
Public opinion gives an indication of how public will vote come election time. It can lead to calls for a vote of no confidence. But the important aspect is that 80 majority. No matter what public says, thinks or does the majority of MPs will support their leader. To be brought down 80 plus mps would have to support other side of house. Its just not going to happen OG. And that's just for a vote of no confidence. Come election time Tories will know exactly what to say. Labour will roll out same old same old.
And you did say Labour would eventually benefit from playing long game. Perhaps you didnt mean 20 years but thats how long its looking like.
But carry on whining and moaning about Boris. You, ll be doing it for another 10 years... Your venom should be aimed at lack of opposition and their failure to change. But then again thats you aswell.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Are you suggesting that Tory MPs are 4 times more prone to run foul of the law than other political parties?. .. because that is what would be required in order for such a strategy to work
No, I was pointing out the technical possibility.

However, depending on how you count, arguably two independents and one tory. (Or a DUP, a labour and a tory, if you insist.) So what do you make the ratio of, say, tory to SNP, or PC, or LibDem?

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
In the Express
HS2 POLL: Are you happy with Boris Johnson spending £106 billion on HS2? VOTE HERE

Just voted, so far 81% are not happy

Another "Nota good start Boris" moment
The readers comments are skathing
We need HS2. It should have built years ago.

These rebels are just jelly heads who would rather spend the money on baby incubators and gender reassignment toilet facilities. You can safely disregard their voices.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We need HS2. It should have built years ago.

These rebels are just jelly heads who would rather spend the money on baby incubators and gender reassignment toilet facilities. You can safely disregard their voices.
I might have been able to go along with some new track, some enhanced speed rail. But not HS2.

The number of people who have already had a major impact on their lives is enormous. The impacts yet to come are even greater.

The choice of speed is ludicrous. I really doubt the top speed of 250 mph will ever make a real difference in end to end journey times and a lower speed would have made a big difference to costs. (I do wonder if it will ever operate at the top end of speeds proposed.)

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
What are you looking forwards to the most? What is going to be the most noticeable advantage on Saturday morning?
Whilst in Cape Verde I hired some windsurf kit. After sailing one day I took my wetsuit boots off and rinsed them in barrel provided. A German lady decided to point out the small bowl on floor was for sandy boots, she was quite forceful and (at risk of being racist) Germanic.
I said "Oh, I, m sorry but we have left your EU and dont have to follow your petty rules now". Everybody, except the lady found it amusing. (I was being light hearted and laughing). Owner chirped in (in German to the lady). The bowl is for feet actually, which he repeated in English for the thickies.
Objective measures are not possible but ask Scotland, Ireland and Wales why they have so many wanting independence.Or why America did in 1777? Or why Jamaica did in 60s. Objectively they (Jamaica) are worse off than had they remained but few want to return to being governed from UK. Some there actually want to become an American state but the vast majority simply want their own sovereignty. To govern themselves. Think we should give it a go and assess it in 10 years.
You didnt want to be governed by EU from Brussels but apparently now you do because you might be worse off perhaps.??? Is everything fiscal? I dont think it is.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Oh dear Dan, looks like you`ve come down with a severe case of Denial!
Let me try and help...
noun
noun: denial
  1. the action of denying something.

Denial is a coping mechanism that gives you time to adjust to distressing situations — but staying in denial can interfere with treatment or your ability to tackle challenges. If you're in denial, you're trying to protect yourself by refusing to accept the truth about something that's happening in your life
there you go, please pay attention to the underlined text!
He's not even in Egypt! :)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Oh dear Dan, looks like you`ve come down with a severe case of Denial!
Let me try and help...
noun
noun: denial
  1. the action of denying something.

Denial is a coping mechanism that gives you time to adjust to distressing situations — but staying in denial can interfere with treatment or your ability to tackle challenges. If you're in denial, you're trying to protect yourself by refusing to accept the truth about something that's happening in your life
there you go, please pay attention to the underlined text!
Deflection!!.

Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Whilst in Cape Verde I hired some windsurf kit. After sailing one day I took my wetsuit boots off and rinsed them in barrel provided. A German lady decided to point out the small bowl on floor was for sandy boots, she was quite forceful and (at risk of being racist) Germanic.
I said "Oh, I, m sorry but we have left your EU and dont have to follow your petty rules now". Everybody, except the lady found it amusing. (I was being light hearted and laughing). Owner chirped in (in German to the lady). The bowl is for feet actually, which he repeated in English for the thickies.
Objective measures are not possible but ask Scotland, Ireland and Wales why they have so many wanting independence.Or why America did in 1777? Or why Jamaica did in 60s. Objectively they (Jamaica) are worse off than had they remained but few want to return to being governed from UK. Some there actually want to become an American state but the vast majority simply want their own sovereignty. To govern themselves. Think we should give it a go and assess it in 10 years.
You didnt want to be governed by EU from Brussels but apparently now you do because you might be worse off perhaps.??? Is everything fiscal? I dont think it is.
Everything is more nuanced than a single sentence might indicate. The Americans in 1777 wanting independence, were actually slave owning, tax dodgers ,running a tea marketing scam. ,The Irish independence movement c.1912, was a consequence of British mismanagement of the Irish Famine of 60 years previously, and the refusal of the British establishment to sanction action against the Ulster Volunteers who had been importing illegal weapons from Germany, in direct confrontation with the British establishment. You could not make this stuff up, but the UV were in open rebellion with the UK ,siding with Germany on the eve of a world war. Then the British Army in Ireland went into potential rebellion ,and the officers corps threatened to resign their commissions,if they were directed to assist the civil authorities... So the Home Office just bottled it.
The Scots have looked at the squandering of their Oil Bonanza by the Southern Elite.

Yes Zatlan, there are things more important than money, and fairness and equal justice are more important. That is what we in Ireland value with our EU membership.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Everything is more nuanced than a single sentence might indicate. The Americans in 1777 wanting independence, were actually slave owning, tax dodgers ,running a tea marketing scam. ,The Irish independence movement c.1912, was a consequence of British mismanagement of the Irish Famine of 60 years previously, and the refusal of the British establishment to sanction action against the Ulster Volunteers who had been importing illegal weapons from Germany, in direct confrontation with the British establishment. You could not make this stuff up, but the UV were in open rebellion with the UK ,siding with Germany on the eve of a world war. Then the British Army in Ireland went into potential rebellion ,and the officers corps threatened to resign their commissions,if they were directed to assist the civil authorities... So the Home Office just bottled it.
The Scots have looked at the squandering of their Oil Bonanza by the Southern Elite.

Yes Zatlan, there are things more important than money, and fairness and equal justice are more important. That is what we in Ireland value with our EU membership.
Good for you. You stay in then. We voted to leave so we are doing. Simple really.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The choice of speed is ludicrous. I really doubt the top speed of 250 mph will ever make a real difference in end to end journey times and a lower speed would have made a big difference to costs. (I do wonder if it will ever operate at the top end of speeds proposed.)
It's important to look at the bigger picture. It will make a big difference if completed to all the northern destinations, enabling later extensions into Scotland.

At present we are flying numerous planes to all those northern locations at a large environmental cost, completely inappropriate at the present time. Enabling high speed rail allows us to ban those internal flights, switching all that travel to environmentally clean electric trains, also enabling a reduction in i.c. engined car and coach travel on our overcrowded motorways.

And stopping those internal flights would enable us to do without additional runways at Heathrow and Gatwick, another big environmental benefit.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's important to look at the bigger picture. It will make a big difference if completed to all the northern destinations, enabling later extensions into Scotland.

At present we are flying numerous planes to all those northern locations at a large environmental cost, completely inappropriate at the present time. Enabling high speed rail allows us to ban those internal flights, switching all that travel to environmentally clean electric trains, also enabling a reduction in i.c. engined car and coach travel on our overcrowded motorways.

And stopping those internal flights would enable us to do without additional runways at Heathrow and Gatwick, another big environmental benefit.
How do you get people out of cars and into trains?
It reminds me of Bus lanes intended to do the same thing, all they did was bring money in from fines and make traffic jams worse.
We don't need FASTER TRAINS, just better and cheaper ones, by all means ban internal flights, they are a privilege of the Elite that can be dispensed with.
Free travel on trains in fact all public transport paid for by taxation is the way forward.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It reminds me of Bus lanes intended to do the same thing, all they did was bring money in from fines and make traffic jams worse.
We don't need FASTER TRAINS, just better and cheaper ones, by all means ban internal flights, they are a privilege of the Elite that can be dispensed with.
Free travel on trains in fact all public transport paid for by taxation is the way forward.
Rubbish.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Oh, so public opinion can bring a government down now. Just tell us how OG.
Public opinion gives an indication of how public will vote come election time. It can lead to calls for a vote of no confidence. But the important aspect is that 80 majority. No matter what public says, thinks or does the majority of MPs will support their leader. To be brought down 80 plus mps would have to support other side of house. Its just not going to happen OG. And that's just for a vote of no confidence. Come election time Tories will know exactly what to say. Labour will roll out same old same old.
And you did say Labour would eventually benefit from playing long game. Perhaps you didnt mean 20 years but thats how long its looking like.
But carry on whining and moaning about Boris. You, ll be doing it for another 10 years... Your venom should be aimed at lack of opposition and their failure to change. But then again thats you aswell.
Already there are signs of rebellion over Huwaie and HS2
Remember what happened to the last Tory Government? it will happen again, they are a pack of treacherous rats, bless 'em.
Why should my venom be aimed at a so called lack of opposition? It's not, it's aimed at fools who voted for Brexit, and then the Conservatives, which amounted to the same thing.
The labour party isn't my enemy, I know who is.
Do you know who your enemy is? look in a mirror.
I criticise Boris qujite rightly as he's a menace, and so are the rest of the so called cabinet'

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The overcrowding delays on the roads does the trick quite well, we've already had that happen down here, but limited while we extend the railways capacity.

And of course subsidies as you rightly suggest.

And of course here in London we've switched huge numbers out of cars into public transport and onto bikes with those two strategies. That even included lifelong car user me in 2011 for a few into London journeys, using trains for the first time in 52 years and buses for the first time in 47 years.

So you see it does work on even the most died in the wool car driver, even in his seventies.

Reactions: oyster

Advertisers