Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Whatever one's politics, its been conclusively proved many times in the 180 years history of rail that only state ownership of rail works, not just here but all around the world.
if you want public transport to work, it has to be heavily subsidised so that the poorer among us will have to use it. Overtime, the quality will improve for all. I had my meals subsidised by the French government for 5 years, I could see why subsidy is necessary.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with all of that, but it doesn’t alter the fact that like in my area, public transport is a complete non-starter for many other areas outside London too. It’s not an option regardless of how expensive they make driving a car.
Cart before the horse, you have to start somewhere to make it an option. For us it was left winger Ken Livingstone's inspired ideas on public transport that did the trick under the earlier GLC, particularly his Fares Fair policy. He didn't get a penny from Margaret Thatcher's Tory government, she hated him so much she abolished that GLC to run it themselves, but failed as ever. So they had to admit defeat and restart the GLC and we voted Ken straight back into power.

Ken got it right all along, not through grant money but through doing the right things.

That the buses weren't a viable option after sinking to only 4500 of them didn't deter Ken when he introduced the congestion charge. He just borrowed the money to buy 200 more buses which were waiting to carry the ex car drivers on day one of the charge. Then the charge income paid off the debt. And he'd also planned for more cycling with a set of 19 free cycling maps showing all the marked cycle routes in Greater London.

Now we have two buses for every one we had back then and London is the UK's leading cycling city. That's all it takes, imagination and the right policies, the money follows.

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
if you want public transport to work, it has to be heavily subsidised so that the poorer among us will have to use it. Overtime, the quality will improve for all. I had my meals subsidised by the French government for 5 years, I could see why subsidy is necessary.
Of course, and I've stressed that throughout my posting. But that has to be with state control, subsidising private companies to do it just drains very much more money into often overseas shareholders pockets.

Reactions: mike killay

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Cart before the horse, you have to start somewhere to make it an option. For us it was left winger Ken Livingstone's inspired ideas on public transport that did the trick under the earlier GLC, particularly his Fares Fair policy. He didn't get a penny from Margaret Thatcher's Tory government, she hated him so much she abolished that GLC to run it themselves, but failed as ever. So they had to admit defeat and restart the GLC and we voted Ken straight back into power.

Ken got it right all along, not through grant money but through doing the right things.

That the buses weren't a viable option after sinking to only 4500 of them didn't deter Ken when he introduced the congestion charge. He just borrowed the money to buy 200 more buses which were waiting to carry the ex car drivers on day one of the charge. Then the charge income paid off the debt. And he'd also planned for more cycling with a set of 19 free cycling maps showing all the marked cycle routes in Greater London.

Now we have two buses for every one we had back then and London is the UK's leading cycling city. That's all it takes, imagination and the right policies, the money follows.
This is disconnected London thinking again. Exactly why Labour in it's current form will always fail to appeal across the greater area of the UK.

In terms of transport / employment, London is a very compact area. Outside London, people need to travel greater distances to and from work. In my last employment before retirement, it would have taken me 4.5 hours to commute each way, with the final part of the journey being by taxi because my base was not on a bus route. I would then work a 12 hour roster and then face a 4.5 hour public transport commute home. I would then have 3 hours at home before leaving for work again. I could do the trip in 50 minutes in my car. I could get into pretty much any area of London inside 2 hours from where I live, and my work place was closer than London.

London has had a disproportionate amount of investment in public transport than the rest of the country. Build us an underground system, tram systems, railway station in every town, tram systems and quadruple the bus services and we might be approaching a sensible conversation.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I would go take a nap jimmy, this is your last opportunity to cry yourself to sleep whilst in the EU without crossing the Channel. I suggest you make the most of it, cos you won`t see it ever again .
Is Ireland leaving as well?

Or are we unable to cross the Irish Sea now?

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
My information suggested it was snake meat.
But on a related topic. The flight from Wutan will be one of the last EU actions of the UK. It is being done with French cooperation ,and will be using quarantine facilities in the Wirrel., Which I am sure Fingers will suggest is the real capital of Ireland. We do appreciate that this flight will be including three Irish people , one of whom would only leave Wutan when he was assured that there would be a minimum 2 week quarantine.

Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This is disconnected London thinking again. Exactly why Labour in it's current form will always fail to appeal across the greater area of the UK.

In terms of transport / employment, London is a very compact area. Outside London, people need to travel greater distances to and from work. In my last employment before retirement, it would have taken me 4.5 hours to commute each way, with the final part of the journey being by taxi because my base was not on a bus route. I would then work a 12 hour roster and then face a 4.5 hour public transport commute home. I would then have 3 hours at home before leaving for work again. I could do the trip in 50 minutes in my car. I could get into pretty much any area of London inside 2 hours from where I live, and my work place was closer than London.

London has had a disproportionate amount of investment in public transport than the rest of the country. Build us an underground system, tram systems, railway station in every town, tram systems and quadruple the bus services and we might be approaching a sensible conversation.
Your commute sequence is exactly the problem that inadequate public services, in the hand of profit making private enterprise create.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I would go take a nap jimmy, this is your last opportunity to cry yourself to sleep whilst in the EU without crossing the Channel. I suggest you make the most of it, cos you won`t see it ever again .
Which Channel Tommie? I could cross from Cairnryan to your bit and still be in what is effectively the EU after tonight.
If you really want to be out it's you that has to cross the North Channel.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A smile for you
"
Ann Widdecombe says Brexit Party cannot be held responsible if Brexit goes wrong

A bit like saying if you light the fuse on a stick of dynamite it's the fault of the manufacturer if you get an explosion.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I'm aware of all that of course but sadly it also shows a closed mind. Firstly as I've just pointed out, we started from no investment, which can be self generating anyway. Secondly 86% of the population live and work in cities or major towns, where London style solutions are possible if tried with open minds. Thirdly we had no trams, all the government investment in trams went into other cities like Manchester and Sheffield. It's only quite recently we got a small South London tram system, and a very much budget one at that as a glance will show.

Here's the left wing way to do it. First deal with the 86 % in the populated areas, using London style policies of detering car driving while simultaneously providing the alternatives with the cash generated from vehicle control and wealth linked increases in local taxation.

Then with that problem cracked you can provide heavily subsidised adequate transport for the 14% minority in scattered locations.

Also add left wing rail policies from national government of any persuasion, today's one seems increasingly favourable since they are speaking of reopening old lines and stations and are willing to renationalise.

Simple, just needs the will. Other countries have it and Brexit won't succeed if we don't gain it too.

Last edited:

Advertisers