Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Tactics. It's Macron's way of ensuring the EU beats Brexit Huawei Britain to a trade deal with the USA.
And the fact that Ericsson has a major European presence is irrelevant?. .. They have a major software centre in Athlone Ireland. Nokia would have partnered them on previous ventures. I suspect that Alcatel, Sagem, and Thompson CSF will feature with other French providers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And the fact that Ericsson has a major European presence is irrelevant?. .. They have a major software centre in Athlone Ireland. Nokia would have partnered them on previous ventures. I suspect that Alcatel, Sagem, and Thompson CSF will feature with other French providers.
True, but our move on Huawei won't have helped us in US trade deal terms.

Macron is very pro EU and the EU beating the UK to a US trade deal will make it very much more difficult for us to get a favourable one. Ours will then have to be no more favourable and probably much less so.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
True, but our move on Huawei won't have helped us in US trade deal terms.

Macron is very pro EU and the EU beating the UK to a US trade deal will make it very much more difficult for us to get a favourable one. Ours will then have to be no more favourable and probably much less so.
.. who is this "Ours " Kimo Sabe?.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Your commute sequence is exactly the problem that inadequate public services, in the hand of profit making private enterprise create.
I agree, but the problem is, we have inadequate public transport. We need to provide the alternative and then incentivise people to switch to it. You can't incentivise people to switch to something which does not exist.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I'm aware of all that of course but sadly it also shows a closed mind. Firstly as I've just pointed out, we started from no investment, which can be self generating anyway. Secondly 86% of the population live and work in cities or major towns, where London style solutions are possible if tried with open minds. Thirdly we had no trams, all the government investment in trams went into other cities like Manchester and Sheffield. It's only quite recently we got a small South London tram system, and a very much budget one at that as a glance will show.

Here's the left wing way to do it. First deal with the 86 % in the populated areas, using London style policies of detering car driving while simultaneously providing the alternatives with the cash generated from vehicle control and wealth linked increases in local taxation.

Then with that problem cracked you can provide heavily subsidised adequate transport for the 14% minority in scattered locations.

Also add left wing rail policies from national government of any persuasion, today's one seems increasingly favourable since they are speaking of reopening old lines and stations and are willing to renationalise.

Simple, just needs the will. Other countries have it and Brexit won't succeed if we don't gain it too.
The investment has to come first. You can't deter car use if the alternative to car use doesn't exist.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And the fact that Ericsson has a major European presence is irrelevant?. ..
Huawei is ahead in 5G.
If the UK wants to stay ahead in this game, it has to work with Huawei.

Quote:

If you really want to know how ridiculous this whole thing is, here you are: there are four companies in the world bidding for the 5G business. Huawei manufacture its network equipment in Shenzhen, China. Cisco manufactures nearly all of its network switches in Guangzhou and Beijing, China. Nokia makes network equipment in Suzhou, China. Ericsson makes them in Nanjing, China.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Huawei is ahead in 5G.
If the UK wants to stay ahead in this game, it has to work with Huawei.

Quote:

If you really want to know how ridiculous this whole thing is, here you are: there are four companies in the world bidding for the 5G business. Huawei manufacture its network equipment in Shenzhen, China. Cisco manufactures nearly all of its network switches in Guangzhou and Beijing, China. Nokia makes network equipment in Suzhou, China. Ericsson makes them in Nanjing, China.
As a world leading economy with immense technological capacity, masses of brains (and if we don't have enough, we can import what we want, that's what they said), we should be designing and building our own 5G stuff and then flogging it to the rest of the world. Shouldn't we?

Mind, from a personal point of view, why 5G? I suspect that even if we get token coverage in town (just so the operators can claim it), a few metres outside the centre it will revert to 4G, 3G and no G. Filling the gaps before really starting 5G (howsoever they do it - even if it requires co-operation between companies) should have been required as a condition of a 5G licence.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Hah! wishful thinking!!

don`t be a bad loser...here`s a little something for 11pm..

View attachment 33862
No use to me, I've nothing to cry about, if I was a more sensitive type I might shed a tear for the self harm you are doing, but I'm not and I won't.

Given your orgasmic level of excitement over this non event, along with your sticky keyboard, you've a lot more need for Kleenex than I do.

I'm pleased for you and the people of NI,
after all the dire state of the NHS in NI will immediately improve from next week when the NI share of the £350m starts to flow.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The investment has to come first. You can't deter car use if the alternative to car use doesn't exist.
Why do keep ignoring the answers already given? Quote:

"That the buses weren't a viable option after sinking to only 4500 of them didn't deter Ken when he introduced the congestion charge. He just borrowed the money to buy 200 more buses which were waiting to carry the ex car drivers on day one of the charge. Then the charge income paid off the debt. And he'd also planned for more cycling with a set of 19 free cycling maps showing all the marked cycle routes in Greater London."

In other words you do as all governments do, borrow to invest in what's necessary, which then pays back on the investment.

Forget the myth that London has lots of money. The whole of our annual earnings, some £50 billions currently, gets taken from us by central government and spent in the regions, apparently unwisely since they never seem to improve in such as transport. That's why we still have in London some of the most poverty stricken living areas in the country and the worst housing situation by far.

Just once in a while we keep a share in a little of what we earn, for example allowed to keep the Crossrail money to build it, under 3% of our earnings in each of the likely 13 years to completion. And of course we needed Crossrail to continue to earn that £50 billions per annum for the rest of the country.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can someone remind me please what remains of the Brexit promises?
sovereignty.*
Until we have another government that is not tory.

* UK will become again a coastal nation regarding the fish.

Advertisers