Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just a very short time ago, corona virus was deemed of "very low" risk to us. Then it got incremented to "low".

Now:

Coronavirus live updates: UK declares 'serious and imminent threat' to public health – latest news

Just how can it jump quite so much? Even with this medical/scientific issue, they manipulated and tried to avoid raising the risk assessment. And the powers that come with this change are potent.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just a very short time ago, corona virus was deemed of "very low" risk to us. Then it got incremented to "low".

Now:

Coronavirus live updates: UK declares 'serious and imminent threat' to public health – latest news

Just how can it jump quite so much? Even with this medical/scientific issue, they manipulated and tried to avoid raising the risk assessment. And the powers that come with this change are potent.
Something else is perhaps happening that requires them to invoke a panic?

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Javid will get the boot in a few weeks time. The man is way out of his depth, selected for things other than his ability. Now I wonder what that might be?
Well you no doubt voted for boris because of his obvious intellectual prowess (cant imagine as a tory you'd let something as deplorable as ethnicity cloud your judgement) and see what it got you?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There will still need to be paperwork... Mail says BJ is still pushing another bridge:

The Prime Minister (left, mocked up in a top hat), who is keen to sanction a series of grand infrastructure projects as a legacy of his rule, is about to receive the results of a feasibility study into the construction of a combined bridge and tunnel connection at the narrowest, 20-mile gap between Northern Ireland and the British mainland. One version of the plan would be modelled on the Oresund Bridge, which runs for five miles from the Swedish coast near Malmo to an artificial island in the middle of the Oresund Strait.

"mocked up in a top hat" - mis-print, should read: mocked in a top hat or anything else he wears.
Word alignment on my screen has "feasibility" right above "gap". That just about sums it up.
Seems that the bridge really is still in the frame and it is not just some fiction drreamed (nightmred ?) up by an errant journo:

Government officials working on plans for bridge linking Scotland to Ireland, says No 10
Q: Is the government committed to building a bridge between Scotland and Ireland?
The spokesman says he has nothing to add to what the PM said about this at PMQs a few weeks ago. The PM said the idea had some merit.
So officials are looking into this, he says. He says:

Q: Is the PM concerned that his previous record with bridges does not inspire confidence?

The spokesman does not accept this. He says:

The PM is ambitious in terms of infrastructure projects. He is looking at a wide range of schemes across the United Kingdom that could boost productivity.

Asked for more detail of the work being undertaken, the spokesman says he has not more to add.

Q: Can you say roughly how many officials are working on this?

No, says the spokesman.

Q: Recently the Treasury told ministers not to waste money on projects. Would this count as a waste of money?

The spokesman did not accept this.

Q: But it is being seriously considered?

Yes, says the spokesman.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Seems that the bridge really is still in the frame and it is not just some fiction drreamed (nightmred ?) up by an errant journo:

Government officials working on plans for bridge linking Scotland to Ireland, says No 10
Q: Is the government committed to building a bridge between Scotland and Ireland?
The spokesman says he has nothing to add to what the PM said about this at PMQs a few weeks ago. The PM said the idea had some merit.
So officials are looking into this, he says. He says:

Q: Is the PM concerned that his previous record with bridges does not inspire confidence?

The spokesman does not accept this. He says:

The PM is ambitious in terms of infrastructure projects. He is looking at a wide range of schemes across the United Kingdom that could boost productivity.

Asked for more detail of the work being undertaken, the spokesman says he has not more to add.

Q: Can you say roughly how many officials are working on this?

No, says the spokesman.

Q: Recently the Treasury told ministers not to waste money on projects. Would this count as a waste of money?

The spokesman did not accept this.

Q: But it is being seriously considered?

Yes, says the spokesman.
Gosh! think how handy this will be after we become independent!
Sorry......

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Last edited:

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Gosh! think how handy this will be after we become independent!
Sorry......
Today's Scotsman newspaper had an artist's impression of the proposed bridge. I would have been more impressed if it had been a civil engineer's impression.
Apparently the bridge will be built over the 2 million tonnes of discarded munitions and nuclear waste in Beaufort's Dyke.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Today's Scotsman newspaper had an artist's impression of the proposed bridge. I would have been more impressed if it had been a civil engineer's impression.
Apparently the bridge will be built over the 2 million tonnes of discarded munitions and nuclear waste in Beaufort's Dyke.
The Oresund bridge/tunnel is almost 8 km and cost around 4 billion euros in 2000 terms. With luck, it will have paid for itself by 2037.

The proposed Irish Sea affair would be of the order of four times as long. Goodness knows how many times more expensive, though 20 billion pounds has been mentioned. And, I suggest, with a much lower possible income. Just when might it pay for itself?

(Why, you could get a fifth of an HS2 for that!)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The whole lot of them are rotten in so many ways:

Harry Dunn family criticise Raab after Sacoolas CIA revelation
Minister failed in ‘duty of candour’ by not disclosing that woman had been CIA agent, spokesman says

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Free ports. Yes, free ports might give rise to tax avoidance.

I beg your pardon, isn't that pretty much their sole reason for existence? (A marginal help in having less paperwork, maybe.) Might be officially sanctioned tax avoidance, but that is surely the intent.

So we end up here:

EU clamps down on free ports over crime and terrorism links

Moves comes as Britain launches consultation on creation of up to 10 of the zones

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Breaking news, a GP practice in Brighton has been shut down after a member of the staff was confirmed as having the corona virus.

That was probably the trigger, it's obviously spreading.
There are now eight cases according to several news sources. Does that include your one?

But I still question that is was left at "low" despite what was already known.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But I still question that is was left at "low" despite what was already known.
The increase and the spread in the last 24 hours is rattling them.

I don't see anything odd, governments usually try to prevent panic at first by downplaying, until that's no longer wise.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

I don't see anything odd, governments usually try to prevent panic at first by downplaying, until that's no longer wise.
Downplaying long past it no longer being wise is the usual way it happens.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Should make the job of sinking the piles a hard one to get a contractor for!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Apparently an estimate of the Death toll is around 1% of those infected.

• Informative

Advertisers