Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Try building on Bleaklow Moor and see how far you get.

It's hilly around here, that's not a problem, but there are huge swathes of the UK which are unsuitable for building and the more we build on the bits that are suitable, the more we will experience flooding witnessed at the weekend.
Yes there are a few areas that are unsuitable but the vast majority of our hilly areas are suitable. But as numerous examples around the world have shown, absolutely any land can be built on with our ingenuity.

That's why we should stop building on land liable to flood or build with the right solutions. For example homes on stilts that are common elsewhere and the ingenious home on the Thames river bank that floats up when the river rises too far. its basement is a sealed concrete cube with guide rails.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Yes there are a few areas that are unsuitable but the vast majority of our hilly areas are suitable. But as numerous examples around the world have shown, absolutely any land can be built on with our ingenuity.

That's why we should stop building on land liable to flood or build with the right solutions. For example homes on stilts that are common elsewhere and the ingenious home on the Thames river bank that floats up when the river rises too far. its basement is a sealed concrete cube with guide rails.
It all leads back to the same inevitable point. Too many people not enough land.

The problem is this. Too may people like the one illustrated below do something inconsequential which accidentally makes them famous. They then re-locate to London and start to move in liberal metropolitan elite circles. Eventually, they believe in their own BS and think they speak for the rest of the country. People don't want a London lifestyle, if they did they would move there. The county need vast areas of unspoilt wilderness, national parks, moor and heath land. Stop building houses, stop creating floods.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I can show you a terrain graph, it means nothing. Here is one from a bike ride I completed last week.

View attachment 34102

Try building on Bleaklow Moor and see how far you get.

It's hilly around here, that's not a problem, but there are huge swathes of the UK which are unsuitable for building and the more we build on the bits that are suitable, the more we will experience flooding witnessed at the weekend.
I have no idea what or where or even if it exists but if Bleaklow Moor is, but One thing for certain is it is buildable . Even if it is marsh, it is buildable .. the Venice is built on what was marshland. The city of Cork is built on a marsh .. if the terrain is steep... Build terraces , or San Francisco.
Cities were originally built on waterways and estuaries because they gave access to boats. Before there was powered road transport.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I have no idea what or where or even if it exists but if Bleaklow Moor is, but One thing for certain is it is buildable . Even if it is marsh, it is buildable .. the Venice is built on what was marshland. The city of Cork is built on a marsh .. if the terrain is steep... Build terraces , or San Francisco.
Cities were originally built on waterways and estuaries because they gave access to boats. Before there was powered road transport.
Not without extreme difficulty, destruction of natural habitat and loss of outstandingly beautiful landscape. It would be better to have less people.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It all leads back to the same inevitable point. Too many people not enough land.

The problem is this. Too may people like the one illustrated below do something inconsequential which accidentally makes them famous. They then re-locate to London and start to move in liberal metropolitan elite circles. Eventually, they believe in their own BS and think they speak for the rest of the country. People don't want a London lifestyle, if they did they would move there. The county need vast areas of unspoilt wilderness, national parks, moor and heath land. Stop building houses, stop creating floods.

View attachment 34104
She looks decidedly northern to me. In fact she looks like the kind of saucy northern lass who would deliberately live on a flood plain.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not without extreme difficulty, destruction of natural habitat and loss of outstandingly beautiful landscape. It would be better to have less people.
As my wife's relations in Co Kerry say, you can't eat the landscape. No , building cities even at that altitude would be no problem. .. just bulldoze away the over burden of peat, and build away. Granite topped mountains have a minor radon gas problem ,thats all. 2000 ft might be bleak with mists and fog in winter ,but glorious in summer. Now I'm not advocating it, and if it is an area of outstanding natural beauty it is worth keeping, but whatever problems exist , they are not engineering...

• :D
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
As my wife's relations in Co Kerry say, you can't eat the landscape. No , building cities even at that altitude would be no problem. .. just bulldoze away the over burden of peat, and build away. Granite topped mountains have a minor radon gas problem ,thats all. 2000 ft might be bleak with mists and fog in winter ,but glorious in summer. Now I'm not advocating it, and if it is an area of outstanding natural beauty it is worth keeping, but whatever problems exist , they are not engineering...
I’d rather us engineer our way to less people.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
She looks decidedly northern to me. In fact she looks like the kind of saucy northern lass who would deliberately live on a flood plain.
Attempts to parody conservative stereotypes aside, she is of course Billie eilish, writer of latest bond movie's music, and also claims to have tourette's (so definitely northern)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
. But I’m not picking on the Labour Party, that is simply an example, no party has the moral high ground on manifesto promises that are not lived up to!
sorry if I was mistaken.
My only experience with a Labour government is the Blair's years.
The rest is disappointment with tory governments, Thatcher, Major, Cameron, May and now Johnson.
Public services goes to pots.

The two don't compare.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This Brexit negotiation isn't going to go well
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/02/full-text-top-uk-brexit-negotiator-david-frost-on-his-plans-for-an-eu-trade-deal/
Full text: Top UK Brexit negotiator David Frost on his plans for an EU trade deal
Replying to
@SpecCoffeeHouse
I read it, there was no plan in there anywhere just the sort of tripe we expect from the likes of Boris. Why aren't they sending someone with a brain that won't simply make a complete fool of themselves trying to con the EU with a so called History lesson? Not a good start Boris

The Government are not taking this seriously in the hope of the talks breaking down

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
sorry if I was mistaken.
My only experience with a Labour government is the Blair's years.
The rest is disappointment with tory governments, Thatcher, Major, Cameron, May and now Johnson.
Public services goes to pots.

The two don't compare.
Some of us go back to Wilson and beyond (just) but my experience of all governments is largely similar. Personally I don’t think any government is particularly to blame for NHS performance or indeed public service in general. Demand is the issue and unfortunately artificially raised expectations but that is a much wider discussion, one that I’m not particularly Instead in going into as the whole discussion quickly becomes quite toxic :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A worldwide probem and nothing to do with London. It's caused by people everywhere breeding and always has been.

Anyway there's plenty of wilderness if we all spread out instead of crowding together. Each one of the 7.5 billion of us have 81,322 square yards of the earths surface, though just 23,583 square yards are dry land so more kayaking than pedelecing.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I’d rather us engineer our way to less people.
I agree. The rational first step is to euthanize wealthy first world retirees, especially multiple property owners. They do not contribute to the active economy. Then we can distribute their land amongst economically active immigrants. That way we can make britain great again.

Advertisers