Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did spend a bit of time thinking about what is a better system than the recommendations of self isolation at this stage.
The main time I mix is when supermarket shopping, but I do that at one that serves the very upmarket Woldingham Village area, aka millionaires row. The Coronavirus wouldn't dare turn up there, so I'm safe.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Amusing BS in the Express
"
Boris praised by BBC Question Time panel for doing a ‘good job’ amid Coronavirus outbreak
BORIS Johnson was heaped with praise as BBC Question Time returned last night in Tunbridge Wells where the big topic on everybody's minds was the Coronavirus.
By MILLIE BULL

Note the name: BULL
Which channel was that on?

It wasn't the one I saw on BBC 1 (Wales :) ).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Which channel was that on?

It wasn't the one I saw on BBC 1 (Wales :) ).
no, he wasn't. Most noticeable was Matt Hancock praising the experts and invited the country to THINK about appreciating their advice.
Shame that he didn't say that back in 2016.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Viz the Tory accusations against Corbyn and Labour that instantly ceased the moment they won the general election.
it could be explained that Corbyn has resigned the following day.
I wonder what the right wing press is going to say about Starmer when he becomes leader of the opposition.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
no, he wasn't. Most noticeable was Matt Hancock praising the experts and invited the country to THINK about appreciating their advice.
Shame that he didn't say that back in 2016.
Shame he still hadn't caught up with experts in November 2018:

“A vitamin B12 deficiency leads to a higher instance of dementia but can be prevented by eating broccoli.” The Minister did not seem to know that neither broccoli nor any other vegetable or fruit contains vitamin B12, which is only synthesized by certain bacteria and is obtained in our diet from sources, such as fish and meat, that are exposed to such bacteria in life, or from breakfast cereals that are fortified with the vitamin.
https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k4712/rr

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wonder what the right wing press is going to say about Starmer when he becomes leader of the opposition.
Actually, I think he has not yet stepped down and is in the period of reflection.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But the Labour party who were just as much the butt of the accusations had not resigned.

It need to be exposed that accusations of anti-semitism are very rarely justified. There is some anti semitism everywhere in any organisation, just as there is some anti-anything else everywhere, so everyone is guilty of being anti something.

For example, I'm anti those who casually make unjustified anti-semitic accusations for nefarious purposes.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It need to be exposed that accusations of anti-semitism are very rarely justified.
who is going to do that? not another newspaper.
Twitter don't get to the newsstand.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
who is going to do that? not another newspaper.
Twitter don't get to the newsstand.
True, need often never gets answered, as all the people who need to win the Lotto jackpot know.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just noticed one effect of the Coronavirus, a vast nearly empty space on the tomato products shelf which is normally occupied by Italian chopped tomatoes etc. Italy is clearly going to be badly hit.

And something unconnected and quite peculiar since Tuesday in this very large supermarket. The long stretch of cooled display normally occupied by the whole range of beef cuts only had a huge number of plastic trays of beef mince from end to end.

A bit like "any colour you like so long as it's black" that Henry Ford was reputed to have said.

I can't think why, unless their buying contracts have overbought beef due to the trend to veganism and the anti red meat propaganda, so they've had to freeze and use from storage for a low price sale purpose.

• Informative

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

"We must avoid visiting our elderly relatives as much as possible," Emmanuel Macron said on a visit to a retirement home in Paris to bid them all a fond adieu.
But maybe our indifference is significant. I cant help thinking about Camus' The Plague in which citizens party amongst the dead and dying. Or we do the extreme opposite (like the south african military pilots who refused to fly a plane to wuhan to evacuate 151 south Africans there, which is understandable, it could be a self inflicted death sentence). Maybe covid 19 is an interesting cameo of how we will react to the real thing

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just noticed one effect of the Coronavirus, a vast nearly empty space on the tomato products shelf which is normally occupied by Italian chopped tomatoes etc. Italy is clearly going to be badly hit.

And something unconnected and quite peculiar since Tuesday in this very large supermarket. The long stretch of cooled display normally occupied by the whole range of beef cuts only had a huge number of plastic trays of beef mince from end to end.

A bit like "any colour you like so long as it's black" that Henry Ford was reputed to have said.

I can't think why, unless their buying contracts have overbought beef due to the trend to veganism and the anti red meat propaganda, so they've had to freeze and use from storage for a low price sale purpose.
Well, we regularly go to one specific butcher shop and buy a reasonably large amount - freezing much of it. Did that yesterday (just happened to be at that point in our cycle of buying and using). Certainly no apparent shortage of Hereford 60-day and Wagyu. :)

Shall keep an eye open when we go out later...

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, we regularly go to one specific butcher shop and buy a reasonably large amount - freezing much of it. Did that yesterday (just happened to be at that point in our cycle of buying and using). Certainly no apparent shortage of Hereford 60-day and Wagyu. :)

Shall keep an eye open when we go out later...
We don't have butchers shops, or fruit and veg shops or fishmongers, virtually all wiped out long ago by the large range of supermarkets. Even our famous central markets affected, Covent Garden Market moved out from that location and the old Smithfields meat market shut down.

Mine is a very large Sainsburys, so the buying scale will be very different. But of course what I saw may have happened by mistake, some jobsworth misunderstanding instructions and mincing all the beef they could see!

What hadn't been affected was the separate around the corner smaller display of high end cuts like aged beef and wild venison.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We don't have butchers shops, or fruit and veg shops or fishmongers, virtually all wiped out long ago by the large range of supermarkets. Even our famous central markets affected, Covent Garden Market moved out from that location and the old Smithfields meat market shut down.

Mine is a very large Sainsburys, so the buying scale will be very different. But of course what I saw may have happened by mistake, some jobsworth misunderstanding instructions and mincing all the beef they could see!

What hadn't been affected was the separate around the corner smaller display of high end cuts like aged beef and wild venison.
I did check just - and there was no discernible difference between the beef selection today and any other day. Nor any other meat.

Cans - tomaotoes and various beans - seemed to be selling relatively heavily. Bog rolls are low stock. But the rest looked fairly normal.

Because of changes to the actual products, partner had already ordered a wodge of her fave bog rolls. They were also less expensive than either the same product was or the replacement product is. She is not the only one - online reviews of the replacement are uniformly dreadful.

Last edited:
  • Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Where I used to live, there was not one butcher in the town - and just a handful in surrounding villages. All were expensive. None were that appealing.

Last edited:
  • Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And when he scribbled furiously in his notebook the question of how homeless folk were meant to self-isolate - probaby to take that conundrum back to No.10 and for Cummings to come up with a cunning plan (non-eugenic of course)...
It was probably a note to make sure that whoever allowed that question to be asked is sacked immediately.

Dear Dom, ...

Advertisers