jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Best tweet so far today
"
@pearlylondon
·
Mar 3

Shocked to hear Boris Johnson was at an hospital & actually shook hands with patients who had the corona virus!? What type of clueless idiot shakes hands with Boris Johnson?!

:cool:
Well I would vigorously shake hands with boris moments after I've been diagnosed with corona (and give him a gallic hug)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Welcome to border country!. In general a lorry filled with DERV, is not being stopped on Concession roads . Customs and Revenue are brave but not stupid. So technically illegal is OK in this narrow zone . Once they are clearly either side ..For instance I live about 10 minutes drive from the Border,there well might be dipping stations.
Oh and by the way, the location of the border is extremely well known to the millimeter,by those locals who need to know. But is hidden from lesser mortals.
Re the lorry with chiller, I was thinking about, say, a lorry being used between RoI and NI not just on the immediate border but right across the area. If Green is illegal in NI, and Red in RoI, then how do they manage it? Dipping would (so we are told) allow detection of recent use of red or green. The only answer I can see is two tanks - and emptying one/filling the other before crossing.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
how quickly the Chinese built a hospital,they achieved a lot but it wasn’t a hospital cos it didn’t need to be. The truth is they built temporary wards to treat a single illness which isn’t beyond our means if we needed to. Let’s hope our situation is different and we don’t need to.
An intensive care isolation shed only takes a day to put up in the back garden - with that on my CV (and O'level art grade C) I'm applying for the 'Weirdos and misfits with odd skills' government job.

Damn 'Anderson' beat me to it

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Well I would vigorously shake hands with boris moments after I've been diagnosed with corona (and give him a gallic hug)
sneeze into his face. Some of the particles would stick to his hair.

Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Re the lorry with chiller, I was thinking about, say, a lorry being used between RoI and NI not just on the immediate border but right across the area. If Green is illegal in NI, and Red in RoI, then how do they manage it? Dipping would (so we are told) allow detection of recent use of red or green. The only answer I can see is two tanks - and emptying one/filling the other before crossing.
While we are still EU members, duty paid in any state remains the only duty payable as a consumable. However I was referring to tankers loaded with cargos of the stuff. It would be legal to pump that green stuff out into a pipe line in the RoI ,and transfer it into a tank ,still on the RoI, then it magically becomes transparent in a pipeline going into a tanker on the NI side. It is if a tanker cargo were the wrong colour ,that there is evidence of a crime

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I suppose we have lots of temporary isolation beds that could be deployed, there was lots of noise in the press about how quickly the Chinese built a hospital,they achieved a lot but it wasn’t a hospital cos it didn’t need to be. The truth is they built temporary wards to treat a single illness which isn’t beyond our means if we needed to. Let’s hope our situation is different and we don’t need to.

It’s a worry when there are underlying health issues, I remember in past episodes hearing that phrase and it sort of made things seem OK. Now my parents are almost 90 and live 150 miles away... and they have underlying health issues - suddenly that phrase hits me like a brick!

But then we have to keep a sense of perspective and act responsibly and in some ways.. like life in general , having done as much as we can, hope for the best.
With the government we have in place the best we can hope for is a row of Army surplus Bivouacs, a Hurricane lamp , esbit stove, billy can and K ration packs
(Bring your own blanket, those army ones itch like hell)

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yes, just keep taking the meds, ...

Tory minister wants Boris Johnson to reconsider bridge proposals... for a tunnel
The Scottish secretary Alister Jack wants Boris Johnson to reconsider his proposal for a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland by opting for a tunnel instead.
Speaking during an evidence session in the Scottish parliament, Jack said a link between the two countries would boost the economies of Northern Ireland and south-west Scotland, while also strengthening the union.

But he said a tunnel would not face the same problems posed to any potential bridge project by the Second World War munitions dump at Beaufort's Dyke in the Irish Sea.

When asked by SNP MSP Kenneth Gibson about the idea of a bridge, Jack said: "I'm very keen on it now, but it's not a bridge that I'm keen on, it's a tunnel.

"It's no different to the tunnels connecting the Faroes, it's not different to the tunnels underneath the fjords, and it deals with the problem of Beaufort's Dyke and the World War Two munitions.

"The bridge for me is a euphemism for a link, which is a tunnel."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/northern-ireland-and-scotland-bridge-1-6546835

Of course, no costs.

Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just in case you wondered why the reluctance to reveal the Russia report

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/02/28/britain-emerges-as-near-exclusive-buyer-of-russian-gold-a69455

Britain Emerges as Near-Exclusive Buyer of Russian Gold
Russia has sold nearly all its gold for 2019 to Britain, according to customs data reviewed by the RBC news website Friday.
The data says that Britain bought $5.33 billion worth of Russian gold last year, or 93% of Russia’s total gold exports. Russia sold $5.74 billion worth of gold overall in 2019, according to RBC.
NEWS
U.S., Britain Double Russian Oil Purchases
READ MORE

I have to say this is fake news, we know for a fact they give it away to certain UK deserving politicians for services rendered

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Russia has sold nearly all its gold for 2019 to Britain, according to customs data reviewed by the RBC news website Friday.
The data says that Britain bought $5.33 billion worth of Russian gold last year, or 93% of Russia’s total gold exports. Russia sold $5.74 billion worth of gold overall in 2019, according to RBC.
Clear evidence that the government believes that leaving the EU will seriously damage our currency. Therefore they take the usual defensive measure, switch to gold.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/02/28/britain-emerges-as-near-exclusive-buyer-of-russian-gold-a69455

NEWS
READ MORE

I have to say this is fake news, we know for a fact they give it away to certain UK deserving politicians for services rendered
And all we get is a lousy cupronickel 50p Brexit coin

Our Brexit bonus should be at least distributed as a gold bar per person...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

NEWS
READ MORE

Needed for stamping onto new passports?

Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Advertisers