Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Letter from my Labour MP looking for volunteers to help if the emergency requires that:

Preparing for coronavirus - volunteers
Dear -------,

I know there is deep concern across our community about the spread of coronavirus, but that there are also many people asking how they can help. This is not a time to panic, but a time to prepare.

The Prime Minister has just given a statement calling for a "wholehearted national effort" of volunteering across the country over the coming weeks as our public services come under unprecedented strain. He said:

“We will all be thinking about our elderly relatives … our neighbours and everything we can do to protect them over the next few months. We’re going to need to mobilise millions of people to help and support each other."

We do not yet know how significant restrictions will be across Croydon following the increasing spread of coronavirus across the country. I have included today’s updated advice at the bottom of this email. I urge people to continue to follow advice from government and medical experts.

Though not confirmed today, potential future measures include closing schools and halting gatherings such as religious services or sporting events. Older people or those with underlying conditions may need to self isolate. This will create significant challenges. Families who currently get free school meals may struggle if schools are closed, older people may struggle to get the food they need.

In advance of any significant issues in terms of the community, I am gathering a database of people who may want to be in a position to help with voluntary work that may become necessary, such helping ensure elderly people have the supplies they need at home.

If you would like to go on a database of volunteers, please click here:

I WOULD LIKE TO HELP

If volunteers are required, I will pass on requests from organisations which are looking for help. We don’t yet know the nature of what will be needed, and if things deteriorate, new advice may mean that we are unable to mobilise in a significant way. But I want us to be prepared. That way we can help ensure there is coordination at what will undoubtably be a challenging time.

If you would like to be kept in touch about any support you can provide, please click here:

I WOULD LIKE TO HELP

All best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Jones
Member of Parliament for Croydon Central

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Thanks, I hope so too, but with my inquiring nature I won't mind if it is Covid 19, just to discover what it is like.
I hope it is only a cold too, but if you are going to catch it now would be the time to do so. If you get complications then there is currently enough slack in the system that the NHS would be able to help you. This may not be the case in a few weeks time. I have several close family members that work in the NHS and they are all very worried about what we could be facing soon.

Over in Italy medical staff are having to make some extremely tough life and death decisions. I hope the advice BJ is being given turns out to be correct and we don't end up facing the kind of crisis Italy is going through at the moment.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
If / When we get “locked down” it’s a bloody depressing thought of having to spin the turbo trainer listening to Jeremy Vine .......

• :D
Reactions: Nev and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If / When we get “locked down”
I doubt lock down is even possible, every police officer in England and Wales is outnumbered about 500 to 1 by the population. The masses will only stay obedient for a short period before acting independently.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I doubt lock down is even possible, every police officer in England and Wales is outnumbered about 500 to 1 by the population. The masses will only stay obedient for a short period before acting independently.
I will be able to report back on that. We have basically taken a lockdown strategy effective from 6:00 pm today. All Colleges and Schools closed, ,any indoor venue with 100 plus not allowed ,any outdoor venue 500 + .
It does not seem that it requires policing, as every public organisation, sporting body , yoga club etc has been busy saying they are closed for business until 29th. March .
What is more incredible is the solidarity across all the political parties . It looks as we will have a national government de facto, not de jure , as all the party keaders are working together.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I am no fan of Boris but I would much rather have him than Trump. This piece here is worth a read, the last sentence is very scary but I would not be surprised if it came to pass.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
From where I now am, I am so very pleased that we eventually got a decent internet connect at the beginning of December. Already it has been so very helpful in being able to read around without severe delays all the time. If self-isolation is needed, it will be so appreciated.

Reactions: gw8izr

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I will be able to report back on that. We have basically taken a lockdown strategy effective from 6:00 pm today. All Colleges and Schools closed, ,any indoor venue with 100 plus not allowed ,any outdoor venue 500 + .
It does not seem that it requires policing, as every public organisation, sporting body , yoga club etc has been busy saying they are closed for business until 29th. March .
What is more incredible is the solidarity across all the political parties . It looks as we will have a national government de facto, not de jure , as all the party keaders are working together.
[/QUOTE]
I'm no fan of Jeremy hunt (at all) but on radio 4 he questioned why boris isnt doing this in england, and I agree, were a few weeks away from an italy type deep **** scenario

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I looks like the F1 race in Australia this coming weekend is going to be cancelled.

If Australia is cancelled, what about the rest of the calendar? There’s a lot of money involved.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I'm no fan of Jeremy hunt (at all) but on radio 4 he questioned why boris isnt doing this in england, and I agree, were a few weeks away from an italy type deep **** scenario
[/QUOTE]

Money.

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Thanks, I hope so too, but with my inquiring nature I won't mind if it is Covid 19, just to discover what it is like.
I'm inquisitive too (had malaria in africa and found it oddly relaxing), but dont think I have the courage to inquisitively experience viral pneumonia, it seems a scary way to go.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well I've managed to pick up something but I don't know if it's the coronavirus yet.

Here's the history:

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, no contact with anyone, mainly indoors and no symptoms.

Today, Tuesday 12th. Drove to a large Sainsburys at circa 11am and it was exceptionally busy. No contact but inevitably close to others at times. Used card only self service, two machines separated from others.

Driving back I called in at a Waitrose for a couple of items Sainsburys didn't have, again using a well separated self service card machine. Home at just gone noon.

2pm went out for a walk for about three quarters of an hour. The wind was surprisingly chilly with strong gusts and being very sensitive to the cold it chilled me.

4pm a little over an hour after returning home my nose was running, but since I used a nasal decongestant (Xylometazoline hydrochloride) last night and it can provoke a little of this, I took no notice at first.

By 5pm my nose was pouring enough to immediately saturate a handkerchief so clearly a new condition. Checked my temperature since a CV infection raises that, but mine is normal at present, so it's quite possibly a common cold.

I'll keep you informed.
Let’s hope that’s all it is, have a restful night my friend

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he may be justified because...
the EU predicts that about 70% of us is going to catch it sooner or later and I guess many of us, including myself are in the high risk group.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
he may be justified because...
the EU predicts that about 70% of us is going to catch it sooner or later and I guess many of us, including myself are in the high risk group.
Getting it is one thing, dieing of it is another. If the infection rate curve is integrated over a longer time, more people survive,as the medical facilities can more readily cope.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A completely self-explanatory riposte to DT.

Do us a favor

“Do me a favor, speed it up, speed it up.” This is what U.S. President Donald Trump told the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference, recounting what he said to pharmaceutical executives about the progress toward a vaccine for severe acute respiratory syndrome–coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Anthony Fauci, the long-time leader of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has been telling the president repeatedly that developing the vaccine will take at least a year and a half—the same message conveyed by pharmaceutical executives. Apparently, Trump thought that simply repeating his request would change the outcome.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/367/6483/1169

• Informative

Advertisers